Best ever running books

Comments

• What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (own and read)

Bounce (own read)

The Complete Runners Handbook (own and read)

The Competitive Runners Handbook (read)

Daniels Running Formula ( read)

• Ultramarathon Man
    Born to Run
    The Greatest (Haile's biography)
    The Ghost Runner
    Running for my Life
    P&D
    Road running for Serious Runners (LOL!)
    Daniels' Running Formula
    That Murakami
    From Last to First - Charlie Spedding
    Feet in the Clouds
    The Perfect Distance, (Coe and Ovett) - Pat Butcher
    The Lore of Running- Tim Noakes (essential manual for every runner)
    The extra Mile - Pam Reed
    Wild Trails to Far Horizons - Mike Cudahy
    bart yasso
    'just a little run around the world'
    Running on Empty- Marshall Ulrich
    "Mud, Sweat and Tears - an Irish Woman's Journey of Self-Discovery by Moire O'Sullivan"
    "A Runner's Tale" by Dick Callan
    "The Perfect Mile" by Neal Bascomb
    To The Edge by Kirk Johnson
    Life on The Run: Coast to Coast by Matt Beardshall
    Running through the Wall by Neal Jamison
    The Long Hard Road ( 2 vols ) by Ron Hill

Just added 4 to the bottom of the list that I thoroughly enjoyed.

• 'Tea with Mr Newton' the  current biography of Arthur Newton is a great book.
  • Ultramarathon Man
    Born to Run
    The Ghost Runner
    Running for my Life
    P&D
    Road running for Serious Runners
    Daniels' Running Formula
    Feet in the Clouds
    bart yasso
    "Mud, Sweat and Tears - an Irish Woman's Journey of Self-Discovery by Moire O'Sullivan"
    What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Murukami
    Bounce
    The Complete Runners Handbook
    The Competitive Runners Handboo
    Daniels Running Formula
    Tea with Mr Newton <shift-enter>
    The Ultimate Guide to Trail Running - Adam Chase, Nancy Hobbs
    Relentless Forward Progress - Bryon Powell

• Found this when googling running books, so thought I'd add my own and reboost

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek is a great book, and I've just started Finding Ultra which seems good so far. Also got run or die to read next. So will add these three to the list.

Ultramarathon Man 
    Born to Run
    The Ghost Runner
    Running for my Life
    P&D
    Road running for Serious Runners
    Daniels' Running Formula 
    Feet in the Clouds
    bart yasso
    What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Murukami
    Bounce
    The Complete Runners Handbook
    The Competitive Runners Handboo
    Daniels Running Formula
    Tea with Mr Newton
    The Ultimate Guide to Trail Running - Adam Chase, Nancy Hobbs
    Relentless Forward Progress - Bryon Powell

Run or Die- Killian Jornet

Eat and Run - Scott Jurek

Finding Ultra -Rich Roll

• Lore Of Running (Tim Noakes) a.k.a. the bible

Mo Farrah's latest book, have read it..... tis good

&

Ronnie O'Sullivan's biography..... which isn't about Snooker so much but also running, which, so I've read he's quite good at. If you like Snooker as well then tis a good read.

• ' Deek' Rob Dec Castella's book ookay so I admit it is from about 30 years ago.

There is a great account in it of the 1982 Commonwealth Games marathon in Brisbane

• Charlie Spedding's book  is a good read too.

Mo Farahs was okay

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I always thought The Gingerbread Man was underrated 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

'The Long Hard Road' by Ron Hill. 

The first volume is great. The second volume should have stopped after the first chapter. The rest is just depressing.

🙂

•  

If anyone's after something a little different based around the New York Marathon, then I have written a novel called "26 Miles to the Moon". The pitch is below.
    I hope this is ok to post here - I am genuinely a long-time subscriber and would love runners to read it.

26 Miles to the Moon

10 hopefuls.

26 miles.

1 target: The Moon.

Jon Dunn is a nobody, going nowhere in life. But that all changes one morning when he answers a random email that puts him on a journey that’ll take him so far out of his comfort zone, he’ll need a telescope just to look back at it. Escaping his increasingly demented boss is the easy bit. Sprinting naked from the law under a top tourist attraction and surviving training from a sadistic instructor will be more difficult. What may well be beyond him is protecting his cat from the win-at-all-costs Nicki and figuring out Summer, the girl with the yo-yo halo.

Billionaire Doug Peabody wants to send mankind's first rocket to the Moon in decades. He’s even created a competition for one civilian to win a seat on it…providing his ex-friend Dmitri doesn’t sabotage his already-threadbare plans and beat him to it.

From the London skyline to the punishing bridges of the New York City Marathon, Jon and nine other going-nowheres are branded like cattle and put through the challenge and pain of a competition for the most exciting prize the world has ever seen.

The Great Space Race is on! 

It's an easy read, humorous and builds on the experiences I've had running a couple of New York marathons.

I'm currently crowdfunding it on Britain's Next Bestseller website and it's had a great reception so far. I have to get 250 pre-orders in 14 weeks - I'm just two weeks in to my campaign and have got 102 pre-orders already! You pay nothing if I don't make my target, but if I do, you will get your name in the book in every copy on a thank-you page. I'm also donating £1 of my own money to children's charity Dreams Come True for every pre-order I get - regardless of whether I make my target.

(If anyone asks "Shouldn't it be 26.2 Miles to the Moon?" - of course technically yes, but I considered it to be more catchy as a title by rounding down!)

Thanks for reading this far. More details and a book trailer video are on that link and if it's not for you then that's fine, but I had to mention it somewhere on here! I know having run New York I'd have loved to read a tale that whilst fictional I could relate to with my own struggles.

• Crowd funding... Yawn go spam somewhere else please. 

• Apologies if it caused any offence - I wasn't spamming. I am looking to reach an audience who would want to read my book and having read the magazine for many years considered Runner's World to be an ideal place for runners to see information on a running novel that they may be interested in. I chose this thread as it seemed the most suitable as it asked about running books.

I'm just a runner looking for ways to get support for the first book I've written, inspired by my marathon runs, trying to achieve my publishing dream, that's all.
  • Well I'm no fan of spammers but I thought GMoney's post was very honest and posted about his book in a thread about books for running so I think a "long time subscriber" should be more than welcome to post in this thread. Just my opinion.

• Write a book, self publish it on amazon / iTunes. Why do you need to crow source money for it, if it's good enough people will buy it. If not then so be it... 

• Yep, didn't think there was much wrong with the original post
  • Thank you Philomena and Dave, I appreciate your comments. I admit that on reflection it might have been best to spend more time on here first and contribute to the community here before posting this, but I was keen to do something this week due to the New York marathon, so forgive my haste.

Booktrunk - That's precisely it - if it is good enough, people will pre-order it. This is not traditional crowdfunding where I'm asking for money, I have written it, polished it and a publisher has said "Looks great - prove enough people want it and we'll publish it!" so that's what I'm doing, trying to get 250 pre-orders. I get no extra money for these 250, and everyone will get a book for their money if I make it.

It's easy to self-publish, almost impossible to get traditionally published - this is something in between where I also donate my own money to charity and give people a chance to get their name in the book.

Hope that clears it up.

• It's just another name for vanity publishing. Sorry I know others disagree. I'm sure we can agree to differ image 

• The purpose of the thread is to recommend great books about running. Not to puff one's own book, which is really no different than puffing one's own blog.

• They've put a bit more effort than the average blogger....
  • Ira Rainey - Fatman to Green Man is a great read.

• Huge fan of Scott Jerek- Eat & Run!

Here we go...

22:07-5k

45.10-10k

1:41- Half

3:42- Full

First 50k booked in for August 2017

• Just started reading Born to preform by Gerard Hartmann.

So far so good!!

Here we go...

22:07-5k

45.10-10k

1:41- Half

3:42- Full

First 50k booked in for August 2017

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

I just finished 'Born To Run' and it almost inspired me to take up ultrarunnning. I was sceptical about it at first, due to its anti Nike prejudice and the guff about barefoot runnning. You need to take a lot of the stuff that isn't about ultra running with a large pinch of salt.

I can't believe that 'The Dirtiest Race In History' hasn't been mentioned yet. A book about Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson and the Seoul 100m Final.

If You want to read a more general book about sport and the mind set of the proffesional sportsperson I highly recommend 'Bounce' by Matthew Syed.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I've also got Karnazes's '50 50' (50 marathons in 50 US states in 50 days), an account of the challenge but also contains lots of padding on training tips, etc when I would have preferred more details about the challenge including - let's hear it - the hardships. There must have been some.  It also has a very unexpected twist at the end.

He is a good writer but you do have to get past his rather large ego or, to be generous, the fact that he is a social misfit.

If you're still around, jason, there's also Thames Path in London (Phoebe Clapham) and Thames Path in the Country (David Sharp and Tony Gowers), both Aurum Press image.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

GMoney - I'm tempted. Mainly because you're doing something I'd like to get up off my barely covered arse and do myself. Good luck.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

By barely covered, I mean skinny. I'm not wearing chaps.

• If anyone is looking for a running fiction book and can't wait for 26 Miles to the Moonimage then I've just finished reading Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab for the fourth time (over last 15 years).

Its a good fun book about a 3200 mile race across America in Depression era USA. There are lots of running things you could say were not realistic but its an enjoyable read that would fill a couple of days over Christmas.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    You read it 4 times in 15 years? Surely being able to remember that you have read it before should prevent the need to read it(again), or do you have a memory span of 5 years when it comes to stories?image