Options

Best ever running books

13»

Comments

• Options

Oh I don't forget it but it's like an old friend that I like to meet up with every now and again.

• Options

I love re-reading an old comfortable book.  It gives you a warm embrace when you go back to it.

There are always little things that you remember differently,

• Options

Gideon - you only read books once?!

• Options

sorry to go on... but also as you grow older you change your opinions and ideas, and you sometimes read a section and interpret it in a completely different way.  Love Xmas as a time to curl up on the sofa with a decent whisky and spend a few evenings quietly catching up on some reading.

• Options

Or it might just be really nicely written so that you can enjoy the language. You wouldn't only listen to a piece of music once, would you?

• Options

Gideon's just released a speaking book series of the last five books he read.  He recites them off the top of his head.

• Options

Mr and Mrs Dursley live at number 4 Privet Drive...... image

Nahh.... Stephen Fry did a better job image Mind you I wish they had a different person read LotR and The Hobbit. 

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I read a lot. But not really books. It is usually news, current affairs, science, sport, politics etc. I guess I am a bit of a philistine in Literary terms but I really do only need to read something once to get it. My opinion may change based upon reflection and life experience but the wording does not. I wish I did enjoy fiction and auto-/biographies but I don't have the time nor inclination. My reading is based on my pragmatic approach to life.

Mind you- there are also only a handful of films that I can sit through having seen them before, but with films there are visual clues/cues that I might have missed, more so than in books.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is a good story, but I've only watched that. Maybe reading it would be better?
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

Mr and Mrs Dursley live at number 4 Privet Drive...... image

Mr and Mrs Dursley OF number four Privet Drive

Tut tut! image

• Options
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I think I could recite the first chapter word for word image 

• Options
    Top Fred. BUMP. (birthday coming up).. i'd like to add ' Running & Stuff' to the list.. its a bit rough round the edges but an amazing tale of how a guy ran across across america.. and did badwater and spartathlon and beat them all and his trials and tribulations following his ups and downs of ultra marathon running.. pretty facinating.. eat and run was great.. enjoyed finding ultra aswell.. i think i might read born to run next.
  • Options

So is this a Kindle only book at the moment? 

• Options

Born to Run is actually a good read. I took ages to read it because of all the barefoot hype shit but it actually is a good adventure book that explores the wisdom of the shoe companys' claims. Not a giant advert for barefoot running that some make it out to be.

• Options
    Philomena.. if you are referring to - running and stuff.. i think its kindle atm.. but hes releasing hard copies soon.. not sure i fancy born to run.. talk of shoe companies sounds boring.. have you read eat and run ? I loved the adventure aspect of that x its funny.. i have probably a thousand books.. and the only ones i read in their entirety are running related books.. Not only do i get fully taken in by them.. they really motivate you to go running.. i remember reading about scott jurek in 'eat and run' going for 20 mile runs at 4am in the snow and thinking... yeeesss.. and got up at 4:45am to go running once.. i ran along the beach / the solent in hampshire.. Not a single soul around and the sun slowly starting to peak and felt the joggers high.. it all came crashing down 5 miles later but lets not remember that bit!
  • Options

Born to Run features an adventure race in Mexico but goes off at tangents at times. I'd say it is worth the investment of your time to get through the "slightly boring but interesting bits". Even got quite a bit of Scott Jurek in there. Barefoot Ted comes across as a bit of a dick and not to be copied. Can't understand why people think it's an endorsement of barefoot running. I've read of lot of running books in the last few years and this was the most interesting.

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

If you think eat and run is a good read Mr Bojangles I can't imagine you'll fail to be impressed by Born To Run.  Agreed, It's certainly not a barefoot advert like some say, it's actually a really good story. 

I've read quite a few running books and the odd running novel too. Once a Runner and Again to Carthage (both by John L.Parker) are superb reads. Flanagan's Run is a brilliant read.

A life without limits (Chrissie Wellington) is also a great book. Feet in the clouds is a fell running book (of which I've no knowledge of) but it's fascinating.

The Ghost Runner was incredibly difficult to put down. Running with the Kenyans is definitely worth a look. I liked PRE, loved The Looniness (NOT Loneliness) of the long distance runner. 

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Feet in the clouds was good. Running free is a bit stodgy. Sounds like one man Dealing with getting older/slower but by having a non stop moan up about people spending any money at all on anything.

I'm reading 'Running with the Kenyans' right now

Natural Born Heroes looks interesting. Looks like that this had binned thd barefoot fad and is now hopping onto the deep fascia bandwagon.
  • Options

Just finished Running & Stuff by James Adams, really really enjoyed it.

• Options

Currently reading reading your second book. My god you're accident prone man!!image

• Options

currently awaiting next Fridays operation to give me artificial ligaments and pin my fractured shoulder that I did crashing at Ironman Uk last July.

Accident prone ha !