Would you like some FatAss Action?

2»

Comments

• Just to bump this thread for any Tyne and Wear based runners

Anyone care to help me create a Tyne and Wear Fat Ass? I am in the process of creating a 50km that takes in Penshaw, Coxgreen, The Angel of the North, Tanfield, Causey Arch, Beamish Woods and back to Penshaw. I have around 10 km to add to take in extra sites along the way. Has anyone got any suggestions for other landmarks to take in? I would like to finish it off with running the tidal path on the River Wear up towards Sunderland(Queen Alexandra Bridge) and back to finish at Penshaw

Would anyone be interested in running a Tyne and Wear 50km(ish) fatass next year as a training run?

I am generally doing my route finding runs early on a Saturday morning starting in Washington, so if anyone cares to help plan the route with me then give me a shout.

• Hi Tim, I'm still interested although I'm currently enduring my 3rd month of enforced rest due to a hip injury, so if any things organised once I'm fit again I'm in. (Might struggle to keep up with you after reading your blog from the Northumberland Coast Marathon!)

What's the score with these fatass events with regard to aid stations? And are they a full on race or do runners stay together in a group?
  • Hi Andy,

There will be an water and food and at the start and finish and possibly some water at the half way point. The idea is that you should be pretty much self sufficient. Depending on numbers we would run this as one or two groups, with the idea being that it as more of a social occassion than a race. In fact no prizes for winning, but would try and get some tee shirts printed for those that want one.

For my route I will publish a map and route description for those that want to run it alone or at another time. Oen of the main advantages of a fat ass is that it is not a formally orgainsed event, so we do not need seek permission to run etc

• Hi Tim, IF I can get there, I'd be interested in this as a training run, although I'm nowhere near you! Please keep us posted.

• I'd be up for it, though I'm currently training up from a marathon to tackle longer distances, so I might be a pants in the endurance side.

• If you can complete a marathon without medical assistance and start running again within a couple of weeks of finishing the marathon then you should be fine with a 50km training run. For me a Fat Ass is not a race you are free to run it as fast or as slow as you like, Indeed you are free to run part of the distance if you so desire.

Next steps for me are to finish the route and then start documenting the route. Will break it down into three 10 mile(ish) sections. Will hopefully start documeting one or two of these sections before Christmas.  I might even turn into a blog post about Fat Ass runs.

Anymore else willing to publish a Fat Ass in their area? 

• I've been thinking about working out a variant on the Croydon Ultra (30 miles) course for myself for training runs, to remove some of the irritating wiggling around suburban streets (I already use parts of it in training, and always leave out those sections). May also try to work out more of a trail version, but that's going to take longer to do (planning the route, that is).

• Planning on developing a run I do in the Peak District, it is a cracking 14 miler at present as a 'pan and handle', I am pretty sure I could replicate in the opposite direction providing a figure of eight, with the car park in the middle allowing for a mid-point re-fuel, will go exploring in the next few weeks and see what I can find.

• Croydon Ultra is a "pan and handle" with the clubhouse at the pan-handle junction, so a natural re-fueling point - or with a small wiggle it could go past our house...

• Hi I am interested in the peak district one when ready excellent ideas about cars in the middle
  • R Belcher - Awesome, will get out over xmas to find the second loop.

• Tom, I may be able to help on the insurance side if you pm me your email. I don't see that the nature of a fatass type event causes major problems - the concept is not dissimilar to a group of friends meeting up for a run. Taking payment would complicate things because you create contractual issues, and so would someone who is completely out of their depth. The last TP100 had some serious weather problems and several people ended up in hospital but I'm not aware of any claims. Life always involves some risk....