South Downs Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K

Comments

• Trippr - I'm no expert but I have Kanadia TR3's which I consider to be pretty hardcore trail shoes, and I love them for muddy/sandy routes -  I also have Asics Gel Trabuco (new, can't remember the number) which are a much more forgiving "hybrid" shoe with plenty of cushioning.

I usually run about 1.7 miles on the road to and from the forest in the Kanadias, which is wearing the tread down at an alarming rate, but isn't uncomfortable over that sort of distance. I certainly wouldn't want to run a marathon in them on decent paths.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    For my twopenneth, if it's been wet and the paths are muddy then I shall wear my trail shoes as they give good grip on slippery chalk. Mine have plenty of cushioning in as well and I've done both the Steyning Stinger and Beachy Head in them.

Trippr, you just need to try them out on one of your off-road long runs to see how comfortable they are.
  • @Chillies for breakfast - I do my best to run on as much grass as I can find while running to the trail route.

@Redhead are you talking about running the south downs if it's been raining? I'll take both pairs of shoes down with me and decide on the day. 

I've done 7 miles in them and they felt pretty comfy. I tried on a bunch of pairs in the shop and these were the most cushioned by far.

Really excited about the Marathon now. Done my first hill session last night, just under 7miles with 8 reps of a 0.35mi hill. Elevation gain was just under 600 feet tho... think I need to find a longer hill! 

• Hello!

I'm also doing the full marathon this year after a few go's in previous years at the relay! Like Trippr I also did Brighton 2 weeks ago (with a new sub 4 pb!!), not sure where to go with my training now to be ready for June 9th, any suggestions??? image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Off road hill work.

Build up your long run distance over undulating rather than hilly terrain and add one hilly run to your training programme.

Add hill undulations - say 5  x 7 mins with 2 mins recovery, on grass or trail
    hill reps - 3 x 1 min; 3 x 45 secs; 3 x 30 secs; 3 x 15 secs - jog down recovery.

After an easy flatish run try 3x 10 sec fast sprints up a fairly steep hill.
    Also try bunny hopping for 3x 10 secs up a fairly steep hill.
    jog backwards down to starting point. 

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Oh, I run the South Downs in New Balance 101's always.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    I'm not running at all so everything is on hold. it will have to wait. I love the route though.
  • hello,htis good for every designer.
    http://in.linkedin.com/in/karanchananas
    karan chanana-albert
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    image I think you've just been fed spam for breakfast.
  • Strange place for a spam attack, but I guess it's just random. The link doesn't raise any alarm bell s on my machine

• I'm having a stupid preparation for this race. So far 4 halfs (one PB and three of my slowest times for years), two duathlons (one a course PB, one my slowest for years), no proper long runs as yet, but a 10K PB at Frimley Park this morning

• Hi All, I cant be bothered to read the whole thread but I know one or two of you could do with a lift, I have room for 3 people I will be traveling from the New Addington/Croydon area so if this is close to or helpful for any of you please let me know.

I have just completed the Three Forts Marathon and cant wait to run another part of the South Downs.

See you all there.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Well I certainly didn't see a gorilla at the Three Forts marathon! image

• I had a shave the night before and I didn’t wear the Chelsea kit because I did want to upset any of the Liverpool of fans, maybe that’s why you didn't recognise me!!!

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

<puts paws over ears at the mention of Chelsea>

(I'm married to a Liverpool supporter!)

• this will be my first marathon - perhaps I should have started with a flat one...  Oh well I live with a view of one of the hills which I'm sure will taunt me after the event...

• Just entered - this will be my second marathon following the nice and flat and wet milton keynes marathon a couple of weeks ago. I did that in 3h55, not sure i can repeat that time on this course!!

Will be getting the train to Arundel and train back from Petersfield.

• Having done the Stinger in March and Three Forts this weekend, road shoes will be a complete disaster if we continue to get this much rain. I did the Stinger in road shoes and fell 5 times, it was a nightmare. I did 3F in trail shoes and it was fine. Conditons were identical...........be aware, though, the Downs dry out really quickly - a few dry days before the event and it'll be rock hard and road shoes will be OK apart from the odd bit (I ran part of the 3F route last night and it was markedly different from Sunday)

Add c 45mins to a flattish road course ?

• No idea what to add to a flattish road course - I've done Abingdon 3 times (dead flat) with a best of 3:23:xx, (last October). I've just about maintained that sort of level over 10K and half marathons this year, but I've done nothing beyond 15 miles in training for this.

Anyone agree or disagree with Gwasshopper's assessment of timings?

• I've heard from someone to add an hour on, so guessing 45-60mins on top of your normal marathon time is a good bet.  So does that mean I take off the same time (from my time to finish the southdowns) to get an idea of my normal time, since this will be my first marathon... image

I'm a sucker for punishment as have entered the Greensand marathon later this year too...

• I'm a 'plodding mid-packer', and don't push too hard on these trail events but try to enjoy them a bit rather than 'racing' - proper runners would certainly be able to close the gap (maybe think of it in % terms rather than minutes ?). If it helps, I've done two similar events this year (Stinger and Three Forts), both in c4.50 (both in awful weather), Beachy Head in about the same time last year, and Brighton last month in 3.57 so 45-60 mins is definitely my window. All that said, I would like to sneak under 4.30 for this one (4.40 last year)

Merrowman - sounds reasonable..........must work in reverse as well !

Chillies - it's all about the hills......if you're used to largely flat events it might be a bit of a shock image Much better scenery though - try to have a look around !

• I terms of times, i did this race last year (as my first marathon) in 3:55, and was targetting 3:20 in Abingdon, before pulling up with a stress fracture the week before the race. I did look up the times of the winner last year - he was about 15 mins slower in the SDM than in the VLM about 6/7 weeks earlier.  Would be nice to take an hour off and claim a sub 3:00 regular marathon time!

Chillies - would expect that you're looking at just under the 4 hour mark...

• Personally, would say add 10 to 15 minutes on to your "normal*" marathon time.

If you are going to walk the long uphill bits then maybe add 45 to 60 mins. Would love to be able to take an hour off my SDM times - a 2.33 marathon would be good!

• Gwasshopper, S2K, et al,  thanks for the advice - I'm not a great fan of walking when I should be running, but I like running a bit easier on trails,  so 4 hours sounds like a target

• I walked a good chunk of the uphills, the ones where you're probably not much quicker when you run them.  You can really take the time back on the downhills - sure I threw in a 7min mile when there was a good long hill stretch.

• Excellent marathon training today - 30 miles on the bike, including Box Hill (my first time), Headley hill, and a trip round Epsom racecourse. Then a 5 mile run

• Going to give this one a miss. I have ran the last 3 SDMs. Life is just conspiring against me.

Just getting over a calf tear (right) and a calf strain (left) so the last thing I need is 5,000+ ft of climbing! Hope to be back next year.

Enjoy the views.