South Downs Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K

Comments

• The numbers are posted out (I seem to remember mine came a couple of weeks in advance last year, so should be due any time - enough time for postal redirection??)

I think the waves are fixed - you get a specifically coloured race number - was there a post earlier in the thread about achanging it??

On teh drinks station, last year I carried a small running bottle (about 250ml) and topped it up at each station - I'd have struggled if I'd only been able to drink at the drinks stations.

• DR - when I checked in last year, there were people changing waves I think so it's probably OK. I woudn't worry too much anyway though if you can't - the field is very spread out for this one, even if you're slower than you hoped you'll still be catching others from earlier starts

Re water I agree with Smart2k, I will definitely wear a belt or take a bottle - I like to sip regularly anyway so usually do, but on the Downs, especially if it's dry/hot, the tracks are in parts very dusty and very exposed and even 3-4 miles without fluid would be too far for me in those conditions.

• DR - sorry - missedthe bus bit. There's no wave allocation for the buses - you just get there when you're ready and jump on the first one going. The start at the College is a nice informal affair, good to get there early. I thought we picked numbers up there previously actually.

• Water is provided in plastic bottles. I usually grab one and drink from it every 5 minutes or so and then discard it at the next drinks station. Never needed a camelbak or my own bottles.

Seem to remember picking up number at chip at Slindon College or maybe the numbers were sent in advance but collect your chip at Slindon?

IIRC last bus is at about 0800 but if you are starting in an early wave you'll need to get an earlier bus.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Last year I emailed requesting a change of wave - they said no. On the day I arrived on time and asked again, they said no problem (and handed me new number 666image) so be prepared to go in your set wave butask anyway. we certainly pick up chip at Slindon, pretty sure number comes in the post.

Water stations are pretty good on this one but I would recommend that anyone  who is slightly worrried takes some with them if this weather continues as I think some stations are cups rather than bottles.

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

From the 2.09 Events facebook page....."Pleased to let all of our South Downs runners know that the race packs, maps and timing chips are all going in the post today and over the weekend. Will have the details as pdf's on the website by Monday."

Ha helly - you little devil. image 

• Fantastic, thanks everyone for your answers. My post is redirected so no problem getting the race pack, which will no doubt cover every bit of detail.

Looking forward to it, good luck everyone.
  • PSCPSC ✭✭✭

woohoo - I'm in!  See you there folks. image

• Re: the waves - I have put down for the sub 4 hour wave on the back of a 3:23 flat marathon last year - I've had a weak build-up for the race, and looking at the profile it ain't gonna get done in 4 hours by me! However, as I read it, the marshals will only start to pack up on a schedule for a 5 hour finish from the last wave, so I wasn't worrying too much about changing waves. I will wear a water belt though, which I've never done before in a race.

• I've never used a water belt either.

Any recommendations guys?
  • Trippr - if you mean recommendations for a water belt, then the Nathan ID that I currently use is miles better than others I've tried - it has a broad waistband and has two little bottles (250ml maybe). Also has a decent pocket.

I tend to run up to 10 or 12 miles with no water, cos I find wearing/carrying things so irritating, but this one is much better. It is about £30 though!

• Thanks Chilli's.

Yeah I can do a fairly long run with just gel's but not a marathon!

It's a real shame they're not putting out enough water stations really.

I'll take a look at your recommendation.
  • Trippr - it's not that they've decided to have too few water stations, it's more the logistics I reckon. The course is all offroad, and they have them at all the points they can realistically get to (road crossings etc) without resorting to lugging tons of water across country with tractors.  

I use a belt that holds four small bottles (but usually only take 2). I find this is more comfortable than one large bottle (used to have one of these but a full large bottle just bounces too much) - this kind of thing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Force-Nutrition-Water-Bottle-Holder/dp/B005O30IFU/ref=sr_1_115?ie=UTF8&qid=1338188805&sr=8-115

• Just abandoned my last long run at 7½ miles. Probably shouldn't have started with 5 miles of hill reps in this heat. I'll have to have another go on Wednesday. Without the steep bits.

• Any race packs been received yet?
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

As Old Gwasshopper says it's not really that there's too few stations, just that I've never run this one in 25 degrees or over but I know I'm not good in the heat. A fair few people do seem to start off with an extra bottle.

• Race pack arrived today - red 1038 for me - chip included. Just the choice of footwear and fitting in a long run as part of my taper to worry about now

• Def road shoes if it's dry I'd say. I ran 11m on the SDW on Sunday and it was rock hard and dusty. Hard work. HellyD - I'm rubbish in the heat as well - have had 2 or 3 marathon disasters (blackouts, heatstroke etc) in hot weather. If it's hot I'm going to be going VERY slowly.

Got the South Downs Way 100 mile Relay this weekend (the BEST Downland running event of all), so will be covering a fair amount of the same ground. My second leg is smack in the middle of the marathon route - 5.5m from the A285 to the A286, so approx miles 8-13 in the marathon. And one bloody great big hill image

• Old Gwasshopper- Cheers for the link. I really need to buy a belt this week and do a few runs with it first. I'll expect I'll also wear my gel belt.

My race pack has not arrived yet.. can't remember what time I said I'd do the marathon in...

Hoping the weather cools down for the day.

• 12 miles of hill reps tonight, which went pretty well at about 4 hour pace. Pretending not to worry about the lack of long runs (5 X 13 milers, 1 X 15, 1X 17). Must look up the word "Taper" in the dictionary, as I've managed to run 23 miles so far this week - and it's been 14 days since I had a rest day.

Old Gwasshopper - I'll be following your advice on footwear - I'm breaking in a new pair of Gel Kayanos and also a new pair of Gel Trabuccos at the moment - it's bone dry on most of the trails here (Berkshire) at the moment

• That's some serious hill training! The most I done was around 7miles, 1mi warm up then 8x 0.35mi hill reps, 1 mi cool down.This was about 1mm faster then my 4 hour race pace.

You've inspired me, i'll get out tonight and put in one last hill session.

On another note - I've purchased a water belt.

I was torn between Nathan Speed 2 Auto-Cant & Nathan Speed 2

went for the Speed 2 becuase it was nearly half the price at £24.99 inc postage.

• Trippr - I have the Speed 2 - like I said, I don't like wearing it really but it is miles better/ more comfortable than the others I've owned. I can stuff 3 gels in the pocket at a push

• I've got something like the 4 but never use 4 bottles. The pocket is a bit small, so I might look at getting a 2 with a bigger pocket...........

• I'm still planning on wearing my gel belt too. It's pretty small so hopefully manage to wear both.

I'll need more than 3 gels on the day, that reminds me.. I need to order some.

I'm currentlly using the High 5 Iso-gels. Are there other ones that pack more of a punch at a smaller size?

The good thing about the High 5 ones is that no water is needed.

• At what point do I start to panic that I have not received race number etc in the post?
  • On the rare occasions on which I use gels (races or runs longer than half marathons) I use SIS Go - they don't need water and they taste alright. I'll eat a couple of Clif bars before the race and do 3 gels during - I might dilute a High 5 powder for my water bottles

DOMS just kicking in from yesterday's efforts!

• I did look at the SIS Go's but went for the High 5's. I too only use Gel's on long runs.

For Brighton I used three before the race and 7 during. I also enjoyed their energy cubes and ate plenty of them on the way round.

My number arrived - blue 757!!

• Sorted... arrived toda, blue 605
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Got mine too - yellow 242 so all you speedy peeps have so say "hello" when you go storming past me image