Options

Ultra Marathon....a distant dream?

2»

Comments

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Take a look at getting yourself a small running daysack. A couple of good companies to  start your search with are OMM, Raidlight and Inov8. Almost all of them will take a bladder in them so you can either get a bladder to put in it or a few of them have bottle carrying pockets. So which ever suits you really. If you are for a day then 15 litres will be plenty. I used a 15l OMM sac on a 3 day trip to the lakes with no issues image

With regards what to take. Well you are out all day so a good start would be drink, food, waterproof layer (ok its June but still you never know!), mobile phone and some cash (for extra food or train/taxi if it all goes wrong).

Food is a personal preference really but if you are on the move you will want food that is easy to eat. Common foods are flapjack, malt loaf, crisps, jam sarnies, rice pudding, choccy bars, energy gels.

Drink wise is the same again... personal choice. I am happy with just water but put some elete electrolyte in it for long days out.

Probably worth throwing a basic medical kit in... vaseline and a roll of tape normally does the job! I cant think of a way of telling you to pack vaseline and tape that doesn't make it sounds like a pests day out. sorry. image

• Options

Sounds like a sensible starting point.

You'll probably get as many opinions as there are people, but...

I'm using a 5 litre pack containing a 1 litre drinks bladder. As well as water, I carry food (malt loaf, fig rolls, jelly beans, Kendal mint cake), tissues, mobile phone, keys, emergency money, space blanket, lightweight emergency warm top, lightweight breathable waterproof coat, lightweight windproof trousers, one blister plaster, one ordinary plaster. I also wear/carry hat, gloves, windproof running jacket.

I'm intending to get a 10 litre or possible up to 15 litre pack, because the present load fills my pack and I'm going to need to be able to carry two litres of fluid on 4-5 hour long training runs on the NDW in the summer. I'll also be adding a compass and whistle (and map).

Before I got the jacket (Montane Minimus) I carried one of those "single use" emergency ponchos - totally waterproof, very light, and useful to avoid getting soaked and cold if e.g. you've turned an ankle and are waiting for someone to come get you.

Note: I carry this stuff on practically all my runs (not for e.g. parkrun) so I barely notice it now. You don't want to wait until the day of your long run then set off with a pack on for the first time. I got used to carrying it from when my long run was under 10 miles. 

• Options

Your a star. Thats exactly what I needed. You think 15l is needed? I were thinking 6 lol. Ill take that on board if I never asked see......

Last thing whilst on the subject got a couple of HM and then the above jolly. I dont like wearing shorts I prefer the whole compression leggings thing. Is it a matter of what you find comfortable or am I going to come unstuck on a longer run with being too hot etc?

• Options

It's what you find comfortable. If you like the compression tights then wear them.

Also see above regarding waht I'm fitting into a 5 litre pack - should help you decide. Six litre might be enough, 10 litre probably ample.

Try the pack on before you buy - check the straps are comfortable for you with some weight in the backpack.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Yeah 15 litres is a bit much really but I don't have different sizes for different events I just use my 15l for everything image but yes... like Debra has shown you can get a lot into the smaller ones no problem.

Yes some people use compression tights all year round for long runs and races. If it is what is comfy then go with it.

• Options

Oh dear I've been a plank. Just re-read what was said. I thought 15l of water lol. Its been a long ol day. 15l bag space i gedditimage

So what about water? if i get a 2l bladder then would another 3-4L bottle be enough?

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Hwo long do you intend to be out for? 2l of water will get you a long way... 6l of water and you might need a yak as well image

Seriously though, 2 litres should be plenty for a run out without being too heavy.

• Options
    He said it will be about 6-7 hours as its meant to be a bit of a newbie run over quite rough terrain to be fair. Well I usually dont take a bottle unless im doing over 7miles if im doing 10 probably take 500ml?
  • Options

I drank 1.25 litres over 32 miles and five hours on Sunday at the London Ultra, and probably should have drunk a bit more, thinking how much I drank in the first hour afterwards.

Take the 2-litre water bladder. If it's very hot, maybe carry an additional 500 mL bottle or platypus in your hand to start with.

• Options
    That sounds great. Cheers folks image
  • Options
    the vicar, all the foods mentioned before are great, i find if you take a mobile then wrapping in a little pockrt of bubblewrap in your backpack stops condensation from the heat of your body steaming up the screen or any leaks of drink ruining itimage also if you domt like having to stop to get drins out of your bag then getting a bottle holder which you can attach to a shoulder strap of pack  can help loads.
    /members/images/531201/Gallery/sBottle_Holder_750ml_0.jpg

• Options
    Never seen that before seems like a good idea! Yeah I thought that with the old mobile. Dont wanna knacker it outimage
  • Options
    that one is by raidlight and is £17.99. i have ordered one. although i have 2 back packs..a 3litre which does for runs of upto 30miles i have a 10litre   too. i cant really fit a large bottle into the 3litre when i have food and phone  etc oin and is tricky to get bottle out if your hands are freezing !!!! so im going to use a bottle holder on the smaller packimage just for extra drink in case.
  • Options
    As you can see there are no hard and fast rules in any of this Ultra Running game. One thing I would say though is it really helps to know yourself. Sounds like long compression leggings work for you. Hydration is also a very personal issue (some like plain water and salty foods, some use hydration tabs such as NUUN tabs). Just to make things more confusing you may switch preference halfway into a run. As you start actually running over say 5 hrs you will start to learn for yourself. Stay flexible in your approach but keep in mind that Ultras are addictive! If choosing a pack, is it comfortable on you? A smaller pack will be a few grams lighter but may not be large enough for your second or third ultra which may have a minimum gear list. If your pack is not full it will wobble about and rub but bubble wrap will sort this out without adding weight. It may be worth choosing a 15 l pack that will give you more options.
    Its also worth adding that most of the posts on the whole forum are from folks who have gravitated towards Ultras from a running /racing background.( the focusing on PB,s and minute miles is still important) The reality of running in ultras is that racing is not what it is about for most of the field. You need to find your comfortable sustainable pace rather than your fastest sustainable pace. This pace will also be effected by how you eat drink and in longer Ultras even sleep. Getting to the end of a race and the friends you will have made on the way will seem far more important than your time. This is especially true for fell/mountain ultras. If you do get hooked (as most do if they can spare the time) you may find yourself running along a mountain ridge as dawn breaks more tired in body than you could imagine but with your soul more alive and receptive to the wonder of the world than ever before. Perhaps its this that keeps me going and I hope that you will experience this running ultras.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Ian, very poetic. I think thats really good advice. It's kinda just going into the unknown and trying to be as prepared as I can. I think thats why the whole ultra thing appeals to me as I am not the fastest of runners but I'm rather quite good a t plodding along for decent distances without using too much energy up. I was chatting to a friend who has done many ultras and marathons etc and he says sometime running a marathon is harder than 100miles race he done not so long ago. Because the marathon you are trying to beat a time and run as quick as you feel possible, whereas the ultra you just gota stick one foot in front of the other. he said the ultra is 99% in your head!
  • Options
    i think ian pretty much summed it all up there Vicarimage. i think thats also why ultras and distance appeal to me. i can keep going a fair way without feeling the effects much because im fairly slow too. but as ian said it makes for a better experience as you meet and chat to people for hours rather thn minutes!! and make friends you will see time and time again. i ran my marathon fairly slow and with a backpack as i used it for ultra practise , finding out what food/drinks were working best and had great chats with runners whom i hope to meet at other events. imageand definatley a lot of it is in your head and a little  bit with your feetimage