Bracknell Half Marathon

2»

Comments

• I know it's short notice but if anyone has had to pull out tomorrow, I will gladly buy your place (provided you live close to Bracknell so I could collect tomorrow morning).  I was about to contact the organisers yesterday to ask where my number was then realised I'd not actually entered.  My mobile is 07500 702970.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Ye gods, the weather here is so violent it woke me up at half past feckin' four in the morning. I'll carry on as if the race is still on but tbh given the amount of water and wind here I wouldn't be surprised if they called it off.
  • Nothing on their website apart from an update on Friday

Although the weather forecast is not very good for Sunday the race is scheduled to go ahead as planned

Theres got to be a tail wind at some point in the race !!

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Shame to missed this one as this is a cracking race.

Despite the twists & turns I think it`s a fast course. 

Muttley - have a good one. Be careful on that bike of yours.

• I (relucantly) decided to give it a miss...one of my favourites too....conditions just too awful for me.

Muttley did you brave it?  I too was woken at 5am by the weather (10 miles from Bracknell).

Will be back next year when it will be the usual warmish Bracknell Half weather I am sure 

• Well done marshalls - course as fun as ever ... 1.27.03 but was pacing someone until 10 miles and using it as a tempo run for the Shinfield 10k next week.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Yes, chaps, I did brave it. No wimping out here, y'know. I'd paid my money and there were a medal to be had image

But I took cabs instead of cycling. Foul conditions, especially on that long open exposed drag at about mile 6 - Larks Rise, I think it's called. Full-on gale and driving rain. Ground underfoot was better than expected, though. Ran a good race until mile 10, when my legs stiffened up - I suspect because of the cold. By then they were frozen through, almost blue, and they didn't want to play any more. Still, 1 hr 47 is faster than last time, two years ago.

Big big thanks to the marshals, who were out in atrocious weather. And to Mr Vaal and all his team - a great race, as ever, despite the weather.

Greetings Mr K - see you at Shinfield?

• i ran it, it was fine

a few puddles to avoid, the wind only a a pain going up the long hill

perfect running conditions, managed 1 36 and a PB
  • Weather was much better that I expected, I think we were relatively lucky really.  My first Half Marathon in the bag !!!  Quite a good course and well marshaled, thanks to all involved, it cant have been pleasant stood out in the wind and rain for hours, at least we were moving.  I will definitely be back for this one next year.  Bit disappointed with my time, just under 2 hours, was hoping for 1 45, but I am now back from A&E complete with 2 crutches and a plaster cast !!  Ran the last 6 miles with a broken Fibula, looks quite good in the x-ray, broken right through. At least this will go down as one to remember image

• First half marathon completed in Bracknell this morning and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I just wanted to offer my thanks to all the Marshals and the Event Team for a really well organised event, and I would highly recommend it to other runners.

I am happy with my 2 hours and 7 minutes time, as I started running from scratch a few months ago, to do this event for my 40th birthday. Now reading the above posts though, I realise I finished well after a runner with a broken leg which is not something I will be advertising to friends and family! image

I may try another local event in 6 months or so to keep myself motivated to keep up my running, but will definitely be back for this great race in 2013.
  • Well run Stephen, Great first effort.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

<goes back to check his time>

Phew, yup, I too avoided the humiliation of being beaten by the runner with the broken leg image

Rich, that was hardcore and well' ard. But how on Earth did it happen and did you not realize that something was just a teensy bit wrong?

• Brilliant today despite the wind and rain. Really well organised and glad it wasn't cancelled. A PB for me so over the moon. I did beat the man with the broke leg, hope it mends soon. I think I'll do this next year, since it felt like a nice Sunday run with friends.
  • A very well run race with loads of marshalls and signs all along the route. A fair few twist and turns on the route making it a little technical at times . On a good day I should imagine it is a pretty quick course. Today the Foul weather and a killer of a headwind on a long slow climb made it feel pretty hard or maybe im just a wimp. Managed a PB even so. 5 stars for the management of the race.

• Yeah, I knew something wasn't quite right but everything had been going really well up to 7 miles, and it was my first Half so I really just wanted to try and keep going.  By the time I go to 9.5 and was in a bit of a state but thought that as I'd got that far it would be a shame to pull up, when I got to 12 I dcided to suck it up and try and come in under the 2 hour mark.  Just a stress fracture, didn't fall or do anything to it.  Dangerous this running lark !! image
  • Blimey Rich - that's a story to be milked for a long time to come.

I'm pleased with my run yesterday.  Relieved that there weren't too many stretches into the wind, apart from the exposed stretch at about half-way.

Most of the marshalls were superb - very encouraging and standing out in the cold for a few hours.

• I got a pb by 7 seconds on this one yesterday, but don't know whether to celebrate that as didn't they mention something about being 75m short.. PB or no PB?
  • HellywobsHellywobs ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone - you've got to be tough to have run yesterday! I am doing Shinfield - lets hope the weather is a bit better!
  • sneglen wrote (see)
    I got a pb by 7 seconds on this one yesterday, but don't know whether to celebrate that as didn't they mention something about being 75m short.. PB or no PB?
    This just occured to me also after I looked on the runbritain website and the Barcknell results are not yet listed, my first half, on my broken leg, and it may not even count !!!image
  • Just a quick note from the Organisers to thank everone that was involved with Sunday's Bracknell Half Marathon. Those who were there will know that the terrible weather presented us with some challenges, not least of which was the flooding of the normally excellent finish area. Most or the runners understood our predicament and were extremely tolerant, appreciating that we still held the race and generally maintained our high standards. We apologise to those that got wet feet accessing the toilets - but this was not a delberate ploy being as they had been delivered before the deluge. I can also confirm that all of the Mile Markers were in their usual spots on lamp posts and telegraph poles around the course. Clearly we hope that normal service will be resumed next year.

We also had a slight hiccup with the results published on the day of the race, with some runners being allocated the wrong age category. This has been resolved and the results published yesterday afternoon are now correct. Anyone directly affected in terms of the prize list has been contacted personally. Rich - you are a star! A member of our staff ran his first half and was quite pleased with himself until he realised he had been beaten by a man with a broken leg. Plenty of stick for him.

Finally just to clear up the length of the course. We have now plotted the altered finish on the GIS and we are confident that the late change took about 55 - 60 yards from the usual 13.1 miles

Strangely, given the conditions, everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves as did all the staff and volunteers that worked on the event. I am all for enjoyment, but prefer to take it a little drier and a little warmer. 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

If the course was 60 yards short I suppose it does not qualify as a proper half marathon. The finish line did seem to come up quicker than I recalled on that last little stretch.

Not that it matters to me, I wasn't after a qualifying time or anything like that (fat chance anyway!)

Thanks Chris, a great job done by yourself and all the team in trying conditions. See you next year hopefully for something a little closer to the seasonal norm.

•  Thank You, this was my first Half Marathon, and really, really enjoyed it. The weather was awful ,but for all those people turning out with Water, Sponges and Jelly Babys was superb. Though live fairly local (Farnborough) did not realise Bracknell had so many parks and open runways and cycle ways.

Superb event and really appreciate the time and effort put in for me and the others to run.Well done the Mayof for turning up in a foce 8 and Torrential weather. Your Town done you proud. Thank you Bracknell 

• Rich Jackson wrote (see)
    sneglen wrote (see)
    I got a pb by 7 seconds on this one yesterday, but don't know whether to celebrate that as didn't they mention something about being 75m short.. PB or no PB?
    This just occured to me also after I looked on the runbritain website and the Barcknell results are not yet listed, my first half, on my broken leg, and it may not even count !!!image

First off, well done for finishing your first Half in those weather conditions and despite the injury you sustained! image 

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings image but Runbritain (and Powerof10, which stores a lot of the same information) only include races that were run with a UK Athletics licence.  I found this out back in January when I ran my first 10-miler and was disappointed not to see the results on my Runbritain profile - emailed them and they explained about the UKA licence issue. 

I tend to check Runbritain records for previous years now if I want to know whether a race is likely to count to my handicap or not, although that's not always a guarantee as it's still dependent on the organisers paying the licence fee from one year to the next, but is a useful guide nonetheless.  And I don't let the absence of a licence put me off doing a race if it looks like a good one, which was why I signed up for Bracknell anyway.

The main thing is don't let it not appearing on Runbritain detract from the fact that you did it! image Your name and time's on the list of results as proof you did it, and hopefully when you're rested up and your leg's recovered, you'll go out and do another Half in an even faster time having learned from the experience, and watch your handicap take a massive leap afterwards.

• Thanks FC.  You're right, whether it came up a touch short or not, I've still completed it and learned from it and I WILL do this one next year, got to really !!  Although I do want to get one that qualifys for the runbritain handicap also as at the moment its only parkruns so I wanted to get a few others in and build towards a marathon next year.

Got my temporary cast removed today and proper one put on, 6 weeks of cast, 3 months of no running or mountaining biking and 6 months of not doing anything competetive, I think they are being a bit overly cautious image