Three Forts Marathon

2»

Comments

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Helly, if it follows a similar route to the 15 then yes. Nothing too bad but the wooded area gets a bit slippery.

Lizzie, I seem to remember the aid stations having biccies and hot cross buns/bits of mars bars (or was that the Steyning Stinger?). At least you know the terrain so the uphill drags won't be a surprise! Just take your time and don't be afraid to walk some of the uphill bits if you need to - you won't lose much time and will save some energy.

Kipper, first time I did the Stinger there were gale-force winds, hailstones, lashing rain and mud! In 2010, the only difference at the Three Forts was I don't remember any hailstones image As the weather forecast up until Saturday is vile I can't see us escaping it on Sunday!
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Yes, it was more like sleet than hail at 3 Forts that year image Thanks for the info Redhead, I don't wear my proper trail shoes unless I absolutely have to.

From what I remember aid stations have water (cups),squash, jellybabies and biccies so like Kipper I would bring a couple of gels  just in case.

lizzie -it's considerably harder than the Bluebell run, not impossible, just don't wear yourself out too early.  The first two miles are uphill meaning the last two are downhill. Also be warned, it's 27 miles not 26.

• Really looking forward to this one (first time), I did the Stinger earlier in the year, cold wet and muddy, it was perfect. I hope this Sunday is a little dryer.

• Thanks everyone !!!
    I went up there this afternoon , did 9 miles along part of the route . After a day of sunshine here , most of the paths were pretty good . But it's now raining again !!
    I'm just going to forget my watch and enjoy the race , at a steady , slow pace .
    Happy training Xxx
  • So looking forward to this, I just hope the new water proofs come in time.

• it looks like it might be a bit of dry weather for the weekend!!
  • image Been really looking forward to this but have picked up a minor hamstring niggle (first one ever) so unlikely to make it. Even got some new shoes after my experience at the Stinger in March where I spent a lot of time on my ar*e. Damn.
  • I'm entered for the half (I know, I know....) on Sunday - Can anyone tell me if it would be worth taking fell shoes, or are the paths more suited to road shoes...??

• I'm taking every option I have. I think a lot will depend on how much rain ther is in the next 48 hours, and whether it's raining on the day!

• I'll be taking Walsh PBs and New Balance trail shoes.

Cheers - Raymond

• Weather forcast looks cloudy and dry hoping it stays that way!

Best of luck everyone.

• Walsh PB Ultras, Magnum V.lites and some road shoes lol
  • walsh pb....wow! oldschool!

• Yeah baby image think I'll use trail not fell shoes though
  • Well the Walsh PBs came in handy! Had a really satisfying run; took it fairly easy until the last downhill (it's meant to be training for the SDW ultra) and then gave it some serious effort. Hope everybody else had a great day out in the hills and the mud.

Cheers - Raymond

• But I wore the magnum v-lites image just made down the hill at the end in one piece, walshs next time!
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Fab event as always.  In fact I think it was even better thanks to the super friendly marshalls and even more cake than usual image

Beat the time I had to beat by 15 minutes (I'm running the 5 marathons I ran 5 years ago when I turned 50 but I have to beat the times I set then) and that was with doing the splits on a muddy uphill section and coming down the last 2 miles of mud very, very slowly as I took a nasty tumble down there in 2010.

Thanks to the organisers for another great event and thank you so much for the tremendous welcome at the finish, even for us slower runners.  I also think a special thank you should go to Ant and his photographic team.  I couldn't believe it when I saw the lady still out there taking photos at mile 24 and then I got a wonderful reception from Ant at the finish.  If only I could get him to airbrush my photos!

Well done to everyone who took part yesterday.  Hopefully see some of you at the South Downs marathon in a few weeks image

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Third time for me and I'm still not tired of it. Weather a bit warmer and drier than 2010 and the stickiness of the mud probably kept me upright in some of the dodgier areas. Loved it, especially from Chanctonbury onwards as thre's so much downhill.

I'll also be at SDM cos I do it every year so see some of you there.

• I absolutely loved it !!

Couldn't believe the mud , i went up there on Monday and it was nothing like the state it was yesterday !! Added to the challenge , fellow runners really friendly , marshalls very encouraging , i dont know how they kept warm ?!

I took it slow and steady and stayed upright somehow !!

I will definately be back again next  and i'll be getting in a bit more practice in the mean time !!image 

• We did not stay warm nor dry , but we like to rise to the challenges as well as you runners.

Well done to all of you and do come back it is all in a Great Cause.

• My first 3FM. I struggled (pun) to see how the admin could be improved.  Perfect amount of aid stations with friendly assistants and selection of eats/drinks.  Finish was well attended with a raptuous damp crowd.  The facilities at start/finish perfectly adequate.  Route marking seemed fine, I was never in doubt about which way to go.  A final note my Runkeeper Ap summarised the total ascent as 4000ft. Anyone else got anything similar?

• what a day it was got covered in mud and the noise it made on the chalk , and the mist cloud we ran through at the top , but shame as the views last year werre superb which we could  not see this year