Very new guy needs advice

Hello all

My name is Short Round Stan,and I don't want to be round no more.I'm 42 in April and sick to death of being over weight so as I'm starting a new job so I thought  I'd start exercising as it will help me relax after learning a new job(and help me lose this weight)

I'm about 4 stone overweight,so I know I'm going to start off slow.I'm going to do 2 weeks walking 3 times for 30 minutes before starting a couch to 5k plan.I've started weight watchers on line so thats the diet sorted,and I'm off to the sweatshop in Reading to sort out some shoes.So down to the questions

1) I've got very tight hamstrings from playing rugby for years-any advice on how to deal with this?

2) Sometimes a get pains in my shins if I do alot of walking at speed(although this doesn't hapen all the time) any advice for dealing with this please?

Any other advice you guys think I need? I have started other types of exercise and never followed it up,this can't be allowed to happen this time,this weight needs to come off,and I want to open up new opportunities for myself and this seems a good way.

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Hi SRS  

Well done on deciding to do something about your weight. In answer to your questions:

Tight hamstrings: need to be stretched. Look under the "Health" tab which has a guide to stretches.

Shin splints: common to new runners. Writing the alphabet in the air with each foot in turn (while sitting) is a good way to get rid of them .

You might also want to look under the training tab for advice on motivation as it seems as if this has been a problem for you in the past. 

Good luck.

• Good on you for starting.

42 is no age and you will be able to do amazing things if you stick at it. Its as simple as that.

Exercise alone isn't the answer if you want to lose weight. You need to cut back on food. Its so much easier to scoff a 1000 calories than it is to burn them off. Its a bitch - but its the truth.
  • Stan,

Good luck with this, I hope you stick with it. I lost about 2 stone a couple of years back as I was coming up to 40, so I know it can be done.

The shin problem you have sounds a lot like what I have, which was caused by tight calves. Do lots of stretching everyday making sure you do both gastrocnemius and soleus stretches.
  • just been to a sports physiotherapist and he has given me some stretches to do daily for my (his words)very tight calves,so 6 weeks of that and my planned run walk schedule and I should be good to go!
  • Good luck mate. I'm 48 and started running just before X mas after a life of slobbing aorund. Luckily, i'm not overweight, i just wanted to get fit. All i'd say is stick with it. The first month i hated it, but now i look forward to it.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Go swimming.

Do Yoga / Pilates.

Do some dance routines. (do you have any teenage daughters that can help with this image).

cougie  wrote (see)

Exercise alone isn't the answer if you want to lose weight. You need to cut back on food.

Its so much easier to scoff a 1000  calories than it is to burn them off. Its a bitch - but its the truth.

Damn!