Swimathon

is 8 weeks to short a time to train up to a 5k swim?
i'm not a bad swimmer but nearly as good as i used to be.
i have swam the distance before and have a triathlon background but at present i'm barely swimming at all.
have i left it to late?
any thoughts/advice would be welcome?

Comments

• 8 weeks is loads of time, but you need to stop worrying and get yourself down to the pool!

Aim to get to the pool 3-4 times a week between now and the event, making one of those sessions a long swim, and building up the distance each week.  Have a look at the Swimathon website too - they've probably got training plans on there.

You say you've done the distance before so you KNOW that you can do it again image

Good luck!

• I've entered one......I only swim a couple of times a month and at the moment only 20 mis as the river is so cold.......
    swimming is just one of those things I hope.just take it slowly and get into a rhythm......

good luck
  • Yes, actually going swimming would be a really good start.

Someone told me that if you want to stay the same then go 3 times a week, but if you want to improve then it needs to be 4 or more image

I didn't listen. I'm a shite swimmer.

• Yep, I'm in the same boat. Only swum once or twice this year, and in for the 5km. Done it for the last couple of years, so know what I'm in for. I can only manage two sessions per week, one will be about 1:10, and be generally 40 to 50 100's, then another 0:30+ which will be drills etc. It aint going to be pretty, but hey ho!
  • 8 weeks is plenty of time . I've built up to 6K since the start of the year. Aiming for the 10K at Eton in May.

Its building up the next 4K thats getting me worried!image

• First swim last night in a while
    Still got it image
  • Slugs- is eton an organised event?
  • Zulu yes Human Race events here

A 'friend' (or she wasimage) suggested it. Now we've got about 6 of us from the club going for the 10K version. Shorter options available.