2012 Cheshire Oaks Chester Half Marathon

Comments

• Looking forward to this. image Missed out on Chester marathon last year due to a chest infection, so I've entered Chester half and full marathons this year.
  • The long range forecast is looking good, very little wind, max of 17oC, not sure they can predict with much accuracy two weeks ahead though!

Q: for any locals, how has the weather been recently? 

It has been dreadful over here Leeds/ York for the past week or two!

• Pretty much the same over here . Plenty of rain and cold . Not as much as the southerners though ( but they need it ) Lovely today though but not forecast to last . Hope the racecourse dries up . There is a race meeting next week , so it'll probably continue raining .
  • I don't mind if it rains on the day it is the wind I hate and the heat.  The long range forecast is looking promising though.  The weather was shocking yesterday wind, rain, hail.

I drove round the course the other day and it does look pretty flat.  The only nasty bit is just before you turn into Northgate street and go down towards the Town Hall and the finish.  It is a short sharp hill (approx 400m) which if you are struggling at the end will be a bit of a tester.

• After Sunday in Manchester I don't think I'll ever run in worse weather, so shouldn't be an issue.

Barbara Pack, are you still looking for a place as I may know someone who has one going due to injury.

• Flip FlopFlip Flop ✭✭✭

Evening all .....

How you doing Bruce, long time no see. I've not been on RW for quite a while so I thought I'd post image I'm in for Chester half so hopefully see you there. How did you do at Manchester ? Heard there were problems with baggage etc .... and the weather was pants. I ran South Cheshire 20 on Sunday and it was bliddy freezing up on the tops but really enjoyed it.

New course looks quick so hoping for a PB.

Hope everyones training's going well and may see some of you there image

Reason for edit ..... inability to spell and type image

• Evening FF, good to hear you're back on RW and hopefully will catch up at Chester.

Got a nice big shiny sub 4 PB at Manchester despite the arctic monsoon and mild hypothermia, although I do think that may mean that for Chester I may not be at 'optimum fitness' so will be one to go out and enjoy the new course !

• Hi there all, just like you, I'm really looking forward to Chester and it was great to see my race pack plop through the letterbox today! Can anyone tell me what order the coloured "start pens" are going in? e.g. white first, red second, blue third etc. or are the colours for gender or times??? :-/

• Didn't think the start pens were that technical . As far as I'm aware you just look out for a sign with your estimated finishing time on and stand there . I do like the idea of pens but generally most races end up being a free for all , with people not taking any notice of signs .
  • Race pack received yesterday image Counting the hours now, please no strong winds....

Anyone able to recommend anywhere nice to eat early Saturday evening central Chester? Preferably Italian (for those last minute carbs!). tia.

• My race pack arrived too yesterday - made me a bit nervous.  Yes - I don't like the wind either Jake.

Loads of italian places in Chester City Centre.  Zizzis, Piccolino are in Pepper Street.  My personal favourite is La Fattoria in Lower Bridge Street.

• Thanks Kevin 10K. You're right the pens are for estimated times unlike the Great North Run where they colour code you depending on your est run time. Good luck for the run not long to wait now...
  • Thanks, Deva Duck, will probably try Fattoria image

What are peoples final week training plans?

10k Fri, 5K park run Sat, 16km Sun, mon = nothing, tue = speed, wed 10k

thur = few km jog, fri = nothing, sat, v light loosener......

• Dinky Tink wrote (see)
    Thanks Kevin 10K. You're right the pens are for estimated times unlike the Great North Run where they colour code you depending on your est run time. Good luck for the run not long to wait now...

?

• Got my pack yesterday. Nice touch to have your name on the number bib. Had a gentle week this week, same for next week. Have done 10 training runs of 12 miles or more in the last 10 weeks so feel fully prepared. Hopefully no wind and not too warm, at least with the early start it shouldn't be too warm - famous last words!!

Off on holiday after this and then start the training for the Loch Ness maarathin in September. Still looking for a 20 miler in late July/early August. Any suggestions?

• Really hope the racecourse loos in the middle of the course are open on the day . They are really good , especially for the gents . They weren't there for the marathon but with Chester races being on next week they should be . Hope they will be open for our use , because at the marathon there was not enough portaloos .

Know this is a common gripe at races , but there is no reason for long queues at this race .

See you soon .

• kevin 10K - I couldn't agree more. There should b plenty of loo's and I think the queueing shoulld be organised - I have done this race a few times and never had any issues as far as I can remember.

Practice run for me this weekend - make sure I am ready for next week - will only do 10 miles but just make sure I can do that distance comfortably at my HM pace - plus check all my gear is fine too.

Last HM of the year - serious marathon training starts early June

• Last LSR for me this weekend then a couple of easy runs during the week to keep ticking over.  Added the 5 day weather forecast to my favourites as will be monitoring it closely from Wednesday onwards.

• Hi does anyone know if there are pace groups? thanks.

• g of the bang - I am fairly sure that there are pace goups for 7-11 min miles

decided to do 8 miles at HM pace this morning - 64 mins for me which was nice and easy - then 20 mins on my exercise bike to help with a bit of stiffness in my legs.

Plenty of rest with a couple of easy runs this week - really looking forward to my holidays now.

all ready now - just hope the weather is cool, dry and still. Not asking for much am I?

• g of the bang, asked the same question to the chester hm team on twitter. No pace teams this year. If anyone reading is confident of steady 8:50 - 9:00 min miles I would like to follow you please image

• I am looking for 1.30 but if I run like I did last week at Manchester I could be struggling. Good luck everyone.

• Due to a change in date for a good friends stag party I am unable to race next  Sunday. If anybody would like to transfer the number and pay me the race cost I would be happy to do so. I have the race pack in hand.

• Stephen if you still have your place let me know.  Anyone else needs to transfer, I would like to do this Half. 

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Likewise, I'm looking for places for me and my girlfriend (both Wirral AC).  Please send me a message if you can transfer one (or two).  Thanks!

• Njord. I have an entry for Chester Half on Sunday but can't run because of injury. I have my number and race pack and could post it to you or meet Sunday morning on the racecourse to hand over. Get in touch if you ar still looking for an entry.

• Bruce C wrote (see)

After Sunday in Manchester I don't think I'll ever run in worse weather, so shouldn't be an issue.

Barbara Pack, are you still looking for a place as I may know someone who has one going due to injury.

Bruce C wrote (see)

After Sunday in Manchester I don't think I'll ever run in worse weather, so shouldn't be an issue.

Hi,

Just wondering if the place is still available as my friend who i spend my life plodding the pavements with would love to do the half with me this Sunday but left it too late to get a place. Mainly cos she didn't think she'd be ready after Manchester last Sunday but seems ok...considering the weather!

If anyone else knows of anyway we could get her a place i'd be very grateful, of course we'd pay the cost of entry,.

• marilyn kitching 3 wrote (see)

Njord. I have an entry for Chester Half on Sunday but can't run because of injury. I have my number and race pack and could post it to you or meet Sunday morning on the racecourse to hand over. Get in touch if you ar still looking for an entry.

Hi,

Is there anyway i'd be able to get this place off you, of course i will pay. It's not for me but a friend who a usually spend a lot of my time running with...see previous post. She left it too late to enter and personally didn't think she'd be ready after Manchester marathon but feels she needs another run after that epic rainfall, hypothermia and baggage catastrophy. Message me if this would be possible,

Hannah

• degsy-m-degsy-m- ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the new route for this!! Wasnt keen on the old course. Will be nice to finish in the city centre
  • Still waiting for a place if anyone has one!