New to Running/Racing

Hey one and all, a little about me, I did a lot of sports growing up and into my young adult life but a serious ankle fracture put paid to all that and lazyness did the rest. So after 4 years of faffing around avoiding any form of regular training other than trying to increase my alcohol tolerance and waist line (both of which I found I'm good at) I decided to enter the Berlin Marathan when the entries opened up at the back end of the year. Some drunken conversation down the pub was to blame.

Thinking nothing more of it over Xmas and the likes I decided to drag my self out the door in early January (not a new years resolution it was a way of saving money) I figured I would be ok to also enter the Manchester Marathon which is at the end of April, I based this purely on running one 6 mile run and realising that I had the 16 weeks (just) to follow the beginners programme on the site for the race.

Probably a little bit crazy but then that's just me, I've followed every single session so far but missed 2 in total (never the long run) qand training seems to be going well! Although I have to say the programme is working very well it seems insane to me to be running a half marathon in week 7! it's working so I'm not complaining by the way.

So yeah why am I rambling, just to give you a little bit of background about me, and to also seek your advice. I think I'm doing ok, I'm running with a pace watch and a heart rate monitor, I'm pretty clued up on heart rate training but no idea what sort of paces I should be doing various training/races and distances at etc. I would like to break 4 hours for the marathon and I feel I'm on target for this. I did my first ever race at the weekend which was the great north west half marathon and it was so fun to run with other people. I think it helped that it was very flat too image I did 1.41.27 as my chip time, that's about 7.47 minutes per mile. Does this mean all other things being equal I should break 4 hours for a marathon? My long runs have been on average about 8.35/8.40 per mile and they get hard towards the end. Infact most of my runs have been at this pace to be honest with the occasional time I've felt good and done nearer 8 minute miles on the 5/6 mile runs.

So hi to the forum! anyone doing the Manchester Marathon or lives in the Quays area and wants to do long runs with me on Saturday mornings at about the pace I've mentioned? also any advice welcome, I've never been a runner and I'm not sure I will continue to do marathons after these but my targets are to lose weight (maybe 11kg in a year?) complete a marathon in under 4 hours and just be healthier all around.

I'm 31 and currently 106kg to give you an idea from where I'm starting

Comments

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    If you just ran a half marathon in 1:41:27 weighing in at 106kg, you don't need my advice!
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

4hr should be achievable for you for a marathon. - You are looking at running approx 9m/m

Saying what your long run pace is without saying the distance is a bit meaningless. It's one thing to run 10 miles at 8:35m/m quite another to run 18 or 20 miles at that pace.

The point about the long run is that it builds up your endurance. It needs to be run at a slow pace to develop the right muscle groups. It will not benifit you if you try running it too fast then die after a few miles. Bst to stick to a steady slow plod. It won't do you any harm to run slowly.

It's all very well to run a hm at a fast pace but as a beginner your endurance is not up there yet.

If you heart rate is low enough when you are doing your long runs then you should be fine, if it is higher than your training plan allows then you are running too fast. Be advised by that.

If you are running to HR then why not visit one of the HR threads for best advice / information.

The main thing about running the marathon is too keep the pace consistant throughout. Don't set off too fast as you will be feeling very fresh with a lot of energy. It's far too easy to set off too fast then run out of steam.

If you are going to be running 2 marathons then use the first as a guide for how you should tackle the second. Best be a little conservative in the first. ie - run steady at a pace you know you can finish in. If you do this then you can up the pace toward the end of the race, just monitor how you feel throughout. Once you get to 20 miles you know there's only 6 miles left - a 10k. That's no distance at all. You should feel like you can easily tackle 10k when you get to 20 miles.

Everyone has different experience and different advice for marathon running so don't get too caught up in trying to untangle it all. If your plan is working for you then that is about as good as it gets.

• Thank you for coming back to me on this. Sorry for not saying, my long runs were up to 13.1 miles at the stage, though last weeks long run was 16.5 miles and I managed that keeping to the Heart Rate target at 8.39 per mile, you're right in that I lack the stamina. I found the last 1.5 miles quite difficult although my pace didn't drop off my heart rate did creep a couple of beats.

I'm heading for an 18 mile long run this weekend which I suspect will be slower than that but fingers crossed for under 9 min miles (I base my runs on heart rate)

Thank you also for the tactics advice, I will be using this as a guide, hopefully dip under 4 hours and then next time aim for a slightly faster time besed on how this one goes. So far so good although the distances are starting to daunt me a little bit! That's normal I feel and I've been told that they will become easy to get used to as my body adapts to the rigour. I'm already looking forward to the week after when the long run steps back to "only" 13 miles! image