Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• thank you for the welcome guys <warm fluffiness abounds> image 

I may be picking brains on Roth as and when questions occur if that's OK. I only realised yesterday that it's a 15 hour cutoff (why had I not twigged before?!? typically numpty Pup lack of thought/preparation/understanding of the scale of the challenge though it has to be said) so I am now wondering what the hell else I don't know image

I'm not doing Yas, no Dave - other plans for the weekend - good luck if you're doing it!  I'm in Jumeirah, so a bit more of a hike to get out of town, hence not always bothering and slinking off to sit in front of the DVD player and sweat on my turbot instead...!

• Away for Easter hols and fitted in 5 runs and 2 rough open water sea swims, but alas will not now be doing an Iron distance event in 2012 as I don't have time to continue fitting in the training over the next 3 months as I am probably moving house.  Finding time to fir in the long sessions has become an additional stress rather than something I look forward to, so really no point.  Still plan one or two halfs though and hope to still do the Vit for the first time so see some of you there instead.  
  • That's a bummer, Darkness. Reads like you're pretty brassed-off about it. Take your anger out on the rest of them at the mud wrestling excuse of a swim at Vit.
  • Cheers.  I am a little disappointed but it is my decision.  When I am riding my bike on a weekend all I can think about is the chores that need doing so little pleasure in it.  Actually feel a weight has been lifted now I have made the decision - but now lacking all motiovation to do any training!
  • Darkness, sounds like you have made a tough decision. No point if its having a negative impact.  Hope you start enjoying the sessions again soon.

To be honest, halfs look like a good option. Not done one myself and with hindsight that would have proabaly been the wise goal for me this year.  

• Sorry to read that Darkness, but as you say, the decision wastaken and now you can get on with what's important at this stage.

I have no distractions at the minute so I'm finding things OK, but I know it's impossible to focus when things are whirling around and need sorted in the right priority.

Good luck with the house move, but ensure you leave a load of things half finished or I'll loose all respect for you as a male.

• Fitting in the training and staying motivated seems to be far harder than the actual "physical training" from what I can see.........

I know for me having to do long run and long bike at the weekend with no mid week options is far from ideal and is certainly holding me back in terms of the distances.........

• slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    PUP - I do remember you training for IMNZ and often read that thread. My memory is straining now but did something happen to you shortly before the race - ie a burglary or something similar? Anyway, welcome!

Barley - good to see you on monday and it sounds as though you had a great training weekend. I've entered the Quattro sportive in Northants for this sunday - only 84 miles this time!

Darkness - sorry to hear you're not doing long distance this year but it does sound as though you've made the right decision with a weight being lifted off your shoulders ...it shouldn't be like that. keep on the thread though and let us know how you're getting on
  • A question if I may.......

I have Friel style 'big day' planned for Monday. My dilemma is that due to an appointment, I cant do it by the book (1 hour swim, 5 hour bike then 2 hour swim)

My options are:

1. 1 hour swim, 4 hour bike, 2 hour run

2. 5 hour bike, 2 hour run

Thoughts?

• Thoughts are .... either

Obviously 1. is more Tri specific and if you do not have a 1/2IM lined up then would be a good test

There is nothing wrong with 2. either

You obviously need to work on your swim   image
  •  Darkness good call if your hearts not in it, after all the injuries and setbacks this year I have binned all targets and have taken on a very unstructured get me round with a smile on my face routine this has really taken the pressure off for me and i am enjoying getting the training in when i can and if i miss a sesh what the heck its a nice change as i am usually driven so easing up on myself is anice change

Muffin its all about the bike and run the swim is just a warm up so option 2 would be my choice

PuP Welcome what is this turbot i have visions of you astride a large fishimage

• You need to lay off whatever you are drinking then Max !!

Anyone seen Joddly around or is she missing presumed having a good time ?? image
  • glass of red at the momentimage Joddly is probably out training like a maniac somewhereimage but she has been quiet for a while
  • She may have mentioned about going on holidays but I am not sure

I am sure I will see her at the drowning arena soon tho  image
  • Leaning to option 2 and more time on the bike.

Swim is my strongest part and do need to test it as a brick. For some reason the non (hefty) weight bearing discipline of swimming  is casuing me sporadic hits of sciatica.  The last one liertally had me crawling out of the pool and I was half expecting The Hoff to come to my rescue. 

Either way it is going to be painful.image

• Back from hols .. So normal service has resumed

Tonight ..

- 45min high intensity bike
    - 2hrs 15min run at IM pace

Legs felt heavy towards the end
  • MThave you tried a pullbuoy to replicate the wetsuit and see if that causes you issues as well?

Nice training Will   image
  • A good long run Will.

Beats my 45min bike at bimble pace (~16mph) followed by a 20 min run.

Neither of your sessions divides by 40 min though.... image

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Max, you clearly don't have psychic powers - having given up booze for Lent, after a long day at work I'm doing my best to catch up, and have been joining you with glasses of red for a while now!....

I'm also having a lazy time training-wise, for no real reason other than lack of motivation, but I did do my first time trial of the season yesterday, turning out a very average performance. I'm currently getting slower in training in all three disciplines, which is less than inspiring.

Meldy - I'm hoping to get to the pool on Friday, but Sam's having his tonsils out tomorrow, which I gather is pretty miserable when you're an adult, so things are a bit uncertain at the moment. Are you going to be demonstrating your fishlike qualities again then?!

Nice training, Will image!

• Muffin
    1 hr swim

Rest

5 hr bike

Rest

1 hr run

Then do your 2 hr run the day after and break .....
    Only kidding
    Have an easy day and do a long run later in the week

Darkness... See you at the vit. Do we have a thread for that yet??
  • Hi,havent managed a brick session for weeks,managing long bikes and turbo ok but running seems to be aggravating my knee quite a bit,just hoping it will calm down.did my first sea swim of the year last week and it was still to cold for me.
  • slimshady wrote (see)

PUP - I do remember you training for IMNZ and often read that thread. My memory is straining now but did something happen to you shortly before the race - ie a burglary or something similar? Anyway, welcome!

That's me, SS! My house burnt down three weeks before the race - six fire engines, 10 hours to put it out, no roof, no ceilings, pretty much everything water or smoke damaged. Total nightmare, but luckily everything important (bike, wettie, favourite shorts etc) survived. I was never sure if that helped or hindered my preparation - obviously v traumatic, but I went out to NZ with literally nothing to lose and bagloads of determination! Seems like yonks ago now, I've since moved out to the UAE and managed not to burn anything down as yet...

Must remember to type turbo and not turbot...image no fish were hurt in my training...

• PuP fortunately domestic fires seem quite rare in Dubai no doubt due to concrete houses and no heating! Though given that everyone has a gas bottle connected to their house explosions are quite common!

Ran 10 miles in about 80 mins last night and followed that this morning with 27 miles on the bike, Yas Olympic tri tomorrow, a swim in stagnant marina with slimy green water, six laps of Abu Dhabi F1 course and a trot around the grounds. More importantly take the kids to Ferrari World on Saturday for the worlds fastest roller coaster.

Darkness, decision made, I can imagine that being a huge relief, I have dallied with the same idea but think i will make it to the start.
  • M...eldy wrote (see)
    MThave you tried a pullbuoy to replicate the wetsuit and see if that causes you issues as well?

Good idea, will try tonight.

I have been focusing on my head postion (it is naturally too high) and bi-lateral / body roll stuff. If all fails, I  will wait until I get outside and work out the best way to get round.

• muffin top wrote (see)

For some reason the non (hefty) weight bearing discipline of swimming  is casuing me sporadic hits of sciatica. 

Join the club - I have a weak back which as well as back pain gives me bouts of sciatica down the right side and I find long swims are the most painful of the 3 disciplines for the back.........

I also know that more core work would help but having problems for so long I'm way too lazy about implenting things that would help image so perhaps core work might also help in as much as it supports your back and helps raise your lower half (as both pull buoys and wetsuits do)

Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Wish I could bimble on the bike at 16mph - I always thought that was sprinting image

Crumbs PuP - sorry about the house but loving the attitude you took to IMNZ image

• Podds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)
    Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Wish I could bimble on the bike at 16mph - I always thought that was sprinting

+1 on that

• Another vote for the sore back from swimming here. Worse in a wettie, suspect from the extra buoyancy bending the back the wrong way.

16mph is very near to the speed of sound, well, it might as well be.....

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    16mph is downhill for me!!
  • Give over, you bunch of Nanas.
  • I get dropped on downhills   image