Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• I think I am washing my hair that day ... whatever day it is  image
  • im still umming and arghhing - slateman or beaver - what to do ??? beaver is localish, slateman is scary
  • Wonderful swim in the pool
    http://www.talland.org/
    It was a tad nippy but the sea was warmer than the 2 degree ambient this morning in fact it was just wonderful image then a nice hour and forty
    Mins run with the dogs life just dosent get any better image realy enjoyed this weekends training
    Chillax this afternoon
  • slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    85 miles done today and another ride in the 'bank'. Quite a headwind, so good training.
    Looking forward to hearing how the 112 milers have got on!
  • There you go Slim ... not quite according to plan  image
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    Quick report on todays adventures

We set off before 8am and it was feckin freezing ... soon transpired that my shorts, long socks, bas layer, monaco, arm warmers and pirate jacket were not adequate for the job of the day ... Barlos and I stuck together and did a bit of cat & mouse on the hills (me going up him going <<cough>> down)

I thought the lesser option was about half way but it turned out I had missed it so I had pretty much decided I couldnt carry on being that cold .. rght down to my heart of stone, I suggested we find our way back (how difficult could that be??) and then come back to mine for more clothes and then do the extra mileage from home

Finding our way back entailed going through Maidenhead town centre, up the A4 round and across several major roundabaouts and the A404(narrowly missing the bit where it turns into 'M')

Any road..we eventually find our way back to the finish after asking a few yocals and clocked 68 miles

Being the sadists that we are within the hour we were back on the bikes again me with a additional pair of thermal overtights a thermal top and gilet and a waterproof .. feeeling a little warm by this stage we tootled off on the bikes again (what fun), the sun came out then it rained and it was miserable and then we turned round and came home .. 20 miles to add to the mornings efforts and for those Twitterati amongst us will have seen I have had my first bath (and I have actually narrowed the time line down) since the Brecons Ultra !!!

I need soup and lots of chocolate I think !!
  • All these long rides I read about make me nervous, am I doing enough??  So went back to last years training log and was really suprised to see I only logged 3 rides over 70 miles, the longest being 90.

Longest so far this year is 55. although I have done a lot more shorter rides. Hopefully wil be able to step up this distance next week, or more likely week after.Last year however I ran london so had a lot more run miles but have now done 5  12 mile runs in last 3 weeks.

Did plan a long ride yesterday but just as I was about to leave it started hailing  so I wimped and went on turbo for 2 hours.  Boring but at least it was flat!!

• I am most certainly solar powered, today was not my best  image
  • I forgot the rules of any event that involves Dorney:

1. It will be windy.
    2. If it isn't. See (1).

Arrived in shorts and s/s jersey + base layer. Removed jersey, put on arm warmers, overshoes, winter gloves and pirate jacket. Shivered (my timbers) alot. Rode for a bit. Faffed. Started at 9am.

Stopped for a pee. Rode some more. Decided to open my maltloaf at the first descent. Stayed upright. Found some hills. Had fun.

All in all the 90km was the soft option. Fink said 4 hrs today, and we managed to drag it out to 4:30. A few short sharp climbs, but I was glad to have made it back knowing I could have done it faster or further. A cracking bit of team TT towards the end passed Cliveden in to Taplow.

90/180km split was the second roundabout in Marlow.

What is it with Buckinghamshire and sticking T junctions at the bottom of 20% descents?

• Oh that wind was a joy on the way back in !!

I will confess now to walking down that last bit of the 20% hill ... frightened the life out of me, would much rather cycle up it  image

I am not sure why I thought the split was a lot later in the course .. I wasnt thinking of making that decision in Marlow anyway!   We still had a good day and rewarded our efforts with the climb out to Remenham for good measure !!
  • slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an interesting day Melds!

Didn't Barlos get lost and end up doing his own thing on monday too? I can see a pattern developing here!
  • Lol.. quite possibly!!

Thats the problem (in this case) with doing a ride close to home ..you always know a short cut (or not) !!
  • M...eldy wrote (see)
    I am most certainly solar powered, today was not my best  image

Sunshine all the way on 1st July.
    is it 10 weeks today?

• 10 or 11 I would think ?
  • Which is actually loads of time before anyone gets worried!!

Remainder of April, the whole of May and the first few weeks in June for all those long bike rides, loads of Bank Holidays to cash in on ... thats a good 10 long bike rides left
  • 'Big day'of training for me tomorrow. Inspired by what sounds like a good weekend for many.

1 hour swim, 5 hour  bke and hopefully 2 hour run/walk. 

Very scared and just supplemented some carb loading wth a couple of glasses of red.

• Then sperate them in your mind to single sessions .. helps to break down the enormity of the task
  • Good effort by everyone today.  I also fecked up on the clothing stakes.  Thought I would layer up and still froze on my 20 mile cycle to my event.  Took summer gloves and no overshoes, not good for zero degrees at 06:30 with a very stiff wind off the sea.

Managed 82 tough, hilly miles.  The layers all stayed on, and when someone offered me a lift home instead of cycling, I'm afraid I accepted.

Like you mentioned Cat5, I struggled to reclip after a staggered junction in the middle of the steepest climb.  I cycled awkwardly across the junction and after a one legged clown act and a load of expletives I turned back down to reclip.

A hard day for me with a lot of lessons. 

1. I can't stay with the main group 'pelaton' and keep my HR down on the hills. 
    2.  I can't keep my HR down on the hills, period. 
    3.  Loose pigs on country roads could dish out some nasty mischief if encountered at speed.
    4.  A Mars bar stuffed into your mouth sideways,whilst attempting to wash it down with cola is not an acceptable King of the Mountains combo.
    5. Leg warmers and pirate arm warmers are not a waste of money.

• Heart rate: 175 bpm.
    Speed: 3.6mph.

At that point in the ride I concluded that I'd bitten off a bit more than I could chew image. Especially since my training plan this year appears to organise all of my long rides for the morning after a hard session of partying. Never mind. It was gorgeous out in the mountains today. Very much enjoyed my 52 miles that took me the neck end of 4 hours image. 2,650 feet of steep ups and 2,650 feet of rutted, gravelly, pot-holed downs. Hopefully that's decent base training for IMW.

Some lovely work being put in by a lot of you. Well done all!

• 10 weeks meldy?
    I think I am on T-4 weeks..... Gulp

That does not seem very far away at all......
    However, I swam 4k yesterday, and rode 112 miles today
    Just need to get the body patched up and able to run and I am good to go image
  • Yowzahs, those sound like some tough miles for people!

I was on an easy week so it was 2.5h cycle/1 hour run/1.5k in the pool. Just pleased to get in the pool, tbh, as I have a bizarre fascia/metatarsal head issue thing going on that cramps up when I swim, and kept me out of the pool for two weeks...got a new tubby toy to motivate me - a wetronome to make my pacing better. beep...beep...beep....beep....beep...ARGH! 

• I am sooo underbiked.

20 miles Friday flat out, half hour on the spinner flat out and a gym Sat, plus 30 miles tempo bike and a 5 mile tempo run plus a gym today.

So much back pain, seeing pod/backquack tomorrow but I think it will come down to lots of drugs.

On the plus side got me layers bang on.
  • VT'd wrote (see)

3.  Loose pigs on country roads could dish out some nasty mischief if encountered at speed.

The "loose pigs" lesson is the one that'll stick with me, VT. Only one winner when angry porker meets bike wheels, regardless of how "bomb proof" your rims are!

Ten weeks to go for the Outlaw mob? Is that the bit in the Training Programmes where you go out n buy a load of go-faster kit to make up for the weight you promised to lose? Don't worry folks... Pirate Monacos are soooooo flattering image!!

Excited for you OC. It's been really enjoyable to read your training for this one. Not long until Taper Madness.

• A decent session for me tonight

- 80min spinning (while waiting for lessons to finish in pool)
    - 400m swim as 200,400,600,800,800,600,400,200 (but i was slow)

• I like those pyramid sessions Will image
  • they help prevent boredom ... especially in a 20m pool
  • I am surprised you have time to swim between turning round  image
  • im crap at turning round image

Thats why im faster OW
  • Lol me too .. my friend tumble turns, i'd end up going the wrong way   image
  • I'm crap at turning too - I'm not allowed to push off for fear of aggravating my foot injury thingy, so I just sort of wallow there like a confused turtle at each turn, lol!

Had a cracking night out at the club run last night doing 1k intervals, I usually trail in last, betroot and wheezing, but I was running like a scalded cat. I have no idea how image maybe this training lark genuinely does make you faster...

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)
     Is that the bit in the Training Programmes where you go out n buy a load of go-faster kit to make up for the weight you promised to lose?

Every year without fail! NEXT year, definitely going to lose weight before The Training Hunger sets in. Next year. Promise.