Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Where are you staying Cat?

• Just been reading back....

The date is closing in and the niggles and injuries are awful. VT'd and Saffers, I really hope you make it. You both desrve it, great attitiudes to yourselves and others.Good luck.

Some good racing and miles being put in. Pleased how I am ticking over.

• Scott and I had an ongoing joke about the Alter G. I hated it.  The idea of running in a wetsuit just didn't appealimage

• Microbe Man, sorry to hear that you are in the same boat as myself and VT'd....it's not a big boat so no more or you getting in please!!!!!

My achilles was more tender this morning than it has been....it had been getting better but I think all those bike miles over the weekend have had an affect on it.  Went to have my tri bars put on the bike today and bike fit and chatting to the bloke whilst he was working away and he advised me to try changing my shoes.  They are a size bigger, being a novice, I got a size bigger as I do with my trainers but seems that's not the way to go.  I do feel my feet moving around on the hills and I will try anything so I shall be opting for a smaller pair and hope it makes a difference.  Going to concentrate on more pushing down on the toes on the hills too.  Seems to be a little fluid on the ankle today too.  No biking for me today but did do open water and amazed at how the lake had warmed up already.  Loved it and had a much better swim than last week. image

• Travelling back to Cornwall today after a great but fairly brutal weekends Snowdonia training all the group had great performances with sinificant personal/ mental breakthroughs for some so really succesful weekend just one last swim in Lyn Cewyln to finish it off

Feeling pleasantly "cream crackered" image
  • Max: you have had a great weekend, just how cold was that lake?

Healing Vibes to all the injured / niggled, there is still time to recover.

Yesterday i swam a 2.5K set then ran 16K last night, today was 40K at a brutal pace up and down the nearest things to hills around here, legs cooked when i got home but finally seem to have got over the tiredness from Marshman and travelling non stop for three weeks. Will run on the tready at lunch, this is the session which I hate most all week but no real alternative when ist 40C outside.

• Microbe Man, sorry to hear you are also boarding our floating leper colony, but a dubious welcome anyway.   

I went for a short jog last night and it isn't right but I'm taking a small bit at a time.

Saffers, your stoic and never lie down attitude is a credit to you, and for that you deserve the finish.  I think I would have just limped off quietly into lurkland and popped up again next year, but you keep plugging away and pick up on the positives. 

I believe that I can still get through this, although not in the way I had imagined.  But I have a vivid imagination so was that never guaranteed anywayimage.

Off to use my foam rollerimage.

• DD just. Finished our swim the lake was pretty cold it was making my teeth hurt! That was colder than the Slateman lake which was 11 degrees but we had the mOuntains reflecting off the perfectly still water so it was a wonderful swim image in the car now ambling back to sunny Kernow
  • Take it easy those of you who have niggles / bigger niggles and don't panic yet,  most of your fitness should be in the bag now so if you were to just tick over for 5 weeks it wouldn't have a huge detrimental impact,  2 years ago I had some really bad back problems (reoccurence of an old injury weakness) about 3-4 weeks before Outlaw,  I barely did anything in that time apart from physio and managed to make it to the start line in 1 piece & the finish line just about in 1 pieceimage

As for me,  binned my swim this morning,  woke up at about 3.30am and couldn't get back to sleep for about 90 mins was tired when the alarm went off so grabbed an extra hour's kip,  feel slightly more with it now.   And put myself through a double brick on Sunday,  hardest session I've done for a while which was pleasing to get it out of the wayimage

Max,  sounds like a fairly brutal weekend,  good stuff.

• Anyway the alternative to carrying on training is way too horrible to contemplate.  My wife has been studying this past year and hasn't really bothered chasing me up for my negleted DIY duties. 

However, she finishes her exams this week and I sense a storm brewing image.  I can possibly swim/cycle/run/hobble on a sore achilles, but climbing up and down a ladder, brandishing a paint roller or tub of skimming plaster is beyond my pain threshold image.

I need to put off the inevitable until I am physically and mentally capable.  Iron distance training is cake in comparison to DIY.

• Finks 3.6k swim set for me this morning. Still yet to hit the open water but thinking saturday might be the day. Awesome weather in the midlands today so think a bike ride after work may replace the run.

100 mile Stratford sportive on sunday, looks a little bit lumpy and as always feeling a little nervous/apprehensive.

Love the idea of a training weekend/week....

• Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Chin up everyone!

I'm away with work, going stir crazy because it's a rest day. I may go and sit in the hot tub for a while.

Not a bad life!

Little Ninja wrote (see)

Scott and I had an ongoing joke about the Alter G. I hated it.  The idea of running in a wetsuit just didn't appealimage

Second session on the treadmill yesterday... I know exactly how you feel. Worst of all yesterday I managed to get set up, zipped in and ready... before realising I need the loo. 45 Minutes running with the treadmill pressed against your bladder isn't the most comfortable

Only managed 45 minutes (instead of the hour I paid for) as the pain was too unbearable. Scott kindly had a look though... definitely ITB problems, most likely come about during a couple of long rides where I was overcompensating for the sprained ankle.

I have 10 days to decide about Outlaw... it is looking very unlikely as now I cannot bike or run. Tonight I am going to have an hour of flexibility, but at the minute my right leg is just so tight I am not looking forward to it!

• GB Have you tried acupuncture? Whenever I get ITB a few minutes of deep needles and I'm back on the road.

• VT'd wrote (see)
      I can possibly swim/cycle/run/hobble on a sore achilles, but climbing up and down a ladder, brandishing a paint roller or tub of skimming plaster is beyond my pain threshold image.

Nice proper pirate attitude VT'ed image

• Dubai Dave wrote (see)

GB Have you tried acupuncture? Whenever I get ITB a few minutes of deep needles and I'm back on the road.

I haven't, as the knee is something which has only developed in the past week or so! Will certainly enquire about it though

Certainly sounds less painful than massage!!

• For anyone local ish there is a lake at Marlow that opens on a monday evening .. which is far more sociable than silly o'clock ... will be investigating that one when time allows

• Thanks for your good wishes VT'd and Saffers. Be patient with your own injury problems. Managed a 2 mile tester run yesterday after 45 mins on the bike. Took it nice and steady, as I will on the big day, and no pain. Iced the achilles anyway and no soreness today. I must remind myself not to try and do too much this week or to try and make up for lost time. Another tester run tomorrow is now on the cards, 3-4 miles maybe. If I can get to double figures for the run before Outlaw I think I'll take that.

Have been using on of those reusable gel packs that you keep in the freezer, much better than a bag of peas.

• Don't jack in your entries yet guys.  Seriously, pirate stories abound of walking, crawling or hopping the run.  And there is time.  The majority of you have been banking the hours up to now.

I am happy to report that the slow start to my year seems to have passed.  Having had half of December and January off with bronchitis and post-viral probs, half of February and March with two lots of moving house, then the stress and depression of becoming a doley scum bag leading to another 10 days of fuck all training, I have managed two weeks of consistent training and I seem to be responding to it. I've managed 5 days in a row now and I've not dropped dead. I've gone from doing 45 / 50 mile bikes in April to a 73, a 7 (ill again), an 83 and a 95 miler.  That's the sum of my long bikes.  So, 4 weeks to taper.  I make that 6 weeks of consistency, with my first OW swim of the year tomorrow..  I'm sure I'll get round.  Just don't talk to me on race morning...

And on that note, would everyone wibbling HTFU and get on with it please?

• Just race morning dear?? image

• OMG  I nearly forgot ...I get to see the tears in the lake at the start again!!  I missed those imageimage

• I shall be icing the ankle this evening as think there is a little swelling. Sore first thing but nothing major.  I just want the soreness to go so I can try a little run.  Trying to stick with the positive attitude but not always easy.  Having to change my thoughts on how I will do on the day just does my head in.

Early 75min turbo this morning and nice to get in from work and no training on the schedule so sat in the garden with a beer like a proper athlete. image

• LOL Saffers I was just about to report no training as I'm working in Glasgow.  Instead I had 5 dishes of chinese buffet all I can eat followed by two puddings and 4 beers.image

• Ahhhh it's nice to know I am not alone in my alcohol consumption.  I have cut it right down but not managed to stop completely.  I like to treat myself......most days!!! image

• M...eldy wrote (see)

OMG  I nearly forgot ...I get to see the tears in the lake at the start again!!  I missed those imageimage

How could you forget?? Tears at breakfast, tears in transition, tears before the start, tears during the swim... it's the best part of the day! image

• Holly_Golightly wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

OMG  I nearly forgot ...I get to see the tears in the lake at the start again!!  I missed those imageimage

How could you forget?? Tears at breakfast, tears in transition, tears before the start, tears during the swim... it's the best part of the day! image

Ooooh gawd!!  Is it that bad?image

• No its not Saffers ... but she is !!!

• 26 mile on the bike this evening with a few hills thrown in for fun. Why isnt the weather always this good?

• Training has been poor over the last 10 days. The misses and kids have been struck by various illnesses and getting out to train has been difficult. I really wanted to step it up rther than do less. I have a reasonable base but am starting to worry a bit now with Outlaw approaching.

Looks like 1 long bike and run with the odd splash around is going to have to do

• Saffers, I suffer from very occassional (i.e. pre-IM) panic attacks.  image

Trying to deal with the panics means that by comparison actually doing the IM is a piece of piss.

(I forgot the crying on the hill of foreverness in France, Melds)

• It was like being followed by a truffle hunting pig    image