Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Such sympathy!  I thought I might DIE.

• Options

JCD - youll be ok mate, you did the recce run ok and its only a little further on the day, you done more than enough running to complete that leg so dont worry, you will be far from the slowest there. you paid - you race  ;) 

• Options

Just back from a four day tour on the bike of the west coast of Scotland.

Fri 75 miles, Sat 65, Sun 105, Mon 65.  Today has been a rest day!

I have been short of long rides so glad to get a few in.

• Options

Sounds like some good mileage Gasman.

M...eldy wrote (see)

Where are you staying Cat?

Was in the Newport Hilton. I try to coincide visits down there with the local tri-club swim, but failed this week.

Did ~1900m in the hotel pool (18m) this morning. Mainly drills. Then a nice club run this evening at home. A new route, which was great.

It seems that this IM lark is 50% physical 50% mental strength. The long rides hurt, but it's mostly in the head. Achilles pain isn't though.

• Options

10 laps RP, just under 70 miles in the sun today. Good to see Siggy again

• Options
    Holly_Golightly wrote (see)

I hoped you would    image

• Options

Still cant walk after slateman and run up mount snowden with ridgeback and others.

Has anybody a large (size 16) pirate top for me to wear on the outlaw?

• Options
    Ha ha FP the DOMS has set in! I had trouble getting down the stairs this morning my quads have set like concrete image big 52 b day today so its an easy day today gonna spend some quality time servicing my bikes

FP someone said they had a top a few pages back give rm a PM
  • Options

I think it was Barlos that said they had one .. there will be a few monacos kicking around thats for sure

Home to bed for a while then I may enjoy some late sunshine when I wake up

Happy Birthday young man   image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, Max image. Hope the quads loosen up quickly.

Short, gentle club ride for me this evening after a really rubbish TT yesterday. Then taking it easy until Chiltern 100 on Sunday.

Are you at the pool on Friday, Melds? 

• Options

Good going DB. How's the back?

Nice hot 45 min bike this morning.

• Options

Max happy birthday youngster.image That lake sounds cold

Long swim 3.5K for the week done whilst the server was down at work, the joys of having a 25m pool downstairs!  Will have a bimble on the bike tonight though looking out the window it seems we have a sandstorm coming.

• Options

Happy birthday RBM image

4k swim last night. First time I've done race distance. What's the cutoff again? image

On the plus side, crashed shoulder ached, but not too badly, and knee niggle seems a lot better. couple of hours easy spin on the bike tonight and an hour run in the morning for me.

• Options

Happy Birthday RBM

Saffers, I suffer from very occassional (i.e. pre-IM) panic attacks.  image

Trying to deal with the panics means that by comparison actually doing the IM is a piece of piss.

(I forgot the crying on the hill of foreverness in France, Melds)

M...eldy wrote (see)

It was like being followed by a truffle hunting pig    image

image image Meldy is such a good friend isn't she....... image

• Options

Sore Cat5, Whimpering noises in the car on the way home. But apart from that, nice ride. I will reluctantly grant "hill" status to the upflat by Kingston Gate, but only after 10 laps.

Nod to the girl who binned on the big downhill, lots of blood on the floor, face a mess, went off in the ambulance. Hope she was OK.

• Options
    Dustboy wrote (see)

Nod to the girl who binned on the big downhill, lots of blood on the floor, face a mess, went off in the ambulance. Hope she was OK.

Is that the one with the right turn before a quick left... before you gov straight over at the roundabout?

I have been trying to get to a position where I can go down there without hands on the brakes and on the aerobars... I think it is certainly possible... im just scared. Now i think it might not be worth it after reading that image

• Options
    Hate steep downhills.....

If the weather is this hot on July 1st I will melt and not be a pretty site for the channel 4 cameras!!
  • Options

It better be at least 25C on 1st July or I will freeze

• Options

Was it you, Holly, having a very cute, girly blub before Vitruvian last year? That was the only time pre-race that I felt any shred of humanity, sandwiched between being woken at 03:15 by some selfish bastard rebuilding his bike outside my tent, and the hell of the portaloos image. I recall Meldy being a real sweetheart at the time, and thoroughly lovely throughout the weekend <registers shock from fellow forumites>.

First proper training session of the month for me today image . A nice brick. 33 miles on the bike at 19.0 average (yippee) and a 4 mile trot at 9:20 a mile (equally yip-worthy for me).

• Options

It's looking awful sandy out there, isn't it DD? Which meant I got the pool to myself this morning without all of the ladies doing head-up breastroke image

I think I broke a bit today though. Screaming cramp in both calves when I got up, then I was doing a hard run session - ( 15 min w/u, 3x2.5k @ 5.40 pace, 15 m c/d - that's hard for me as I am slooooooow as anything this year!) - then into the pool for 2.5k steady. Calves were howling in the water and I feel all giddy now <swoons>

possibly a bit under-fed, I've been trying to do a carb curfew as am a fattie (no carbs after 6pm) but I don't think it's compatible with hard training.

• Options

That sounds like the one GB. Sweeping right (where she fell off at the bottom) followed by some zigzaggy stuff then straight over roundabout. Think I clocked about 36mph going down there. Don't do it today though, blood is a bit slippery...

• Options

If there's one thing I learned skiing.... the worst place to crash is at the bottom!

Had my own speed-freak moment today. Was very cool! Got a great, big, drafting tow behind a big, fast tractor and trailer on a dual carriageway. Pulled me all the way up to 28mph on the flat. Felt like a "player" for all of 10 seconds.

• Options
    Nice easy day today walked the dogs in the woods for an hour then loosened up the legs with a gentle hour and a half pootle on the bike just smelling the roses legs feel mich better for it image
  • Options

STIL  image

Pup I think a carb curfew is possible with training as you would be eating a protein based diet after the session and the carbs before?

One thing that we have noticed over the years (and may be more appplicable to some) is that IM training is not a license to eat ...

• Options

Happy birthday RBM.....image

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

One thing that we have noticed over the years (and may be more appplicable to some) is that IM training is not a license to eat ...

I have been in the sea image It's not warm I tell you.......

• Options

Character building !!

• Options
    Podds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)

I have been in the sea image It's not warm I tell you.......

Yuk. Fish wee in that.

• Options

1000 people pissing simultaneously, probably with the odd dump, all in a 90 metre space at 6 am and you are worried about a couple of fish?

Note to self to first bagsie on Siggy for a tow so I don't drink everyone elses. LOL

• Options
    Dustboy wrote (see)

1000 people pissing simultaneously, probably with the odd dump, all in a 90 metre space at 6 am and you are worried about a couple of fish?

Note to self to first bagsie on Siggy for a tow so I don't drink everyone elses. LOL

Just Siggy's? image