Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Holly - if the good weather continues for another few days Thorpe will nearly be warm enough to dispense with the wetsuit by mid-week image

• spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭
    2.4 mile open water swim last in fresh water,loved it,but forgot my swim cap and ear plugs,note for next week.6 mile run at 6 am then the parkrun at 9. Long bike in the morning hopefully get out about 5.30.

Hope your ok Meldy.
  • Had tp work today so could't fit in long bike, so instead rode thereand back, 25miles each way. Plan was easy(ish) ride in and push it a bit on way home. Did not realise though that the wind was so strong. All I can say is I hope its  not windy on July1st.

Just agreed to meet RBM tomorrow for more laps of the local lake. Oh joy!!

• Well a bit of a good ride but my bottom bracket has developed an annoying click everything feels tight with no play took it all out cleaned it greasesd its still clicking hope i havent cracked the frame image

Got in off the ride to go for an hours run and Mrs RBM had morphed into a screaming haridan as her sim card she left on the table had gone missing image thought id be wise to skip the run and play hunt the feckin thimble with the rest of the family 2 hours later find it under Captain Pissys bed ( the feckin cat) arrrrgggh!
  • Cornish it was time trials up the Draynes valley today we put the pain in Drayne!

Yep more boredom training tomorrow though Ally thought it was interesting so i am issuing blinkers tomorrowimage
  • spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭
    RBM, whats your chain like,I had an annoying click/knock on my MTB.thought it was the bottom bracket,I put a new chain on and noise stopped
  • Sponge good one I will look not changed it for a while it happens when i am putting some effort in on the flat and uphill down hill it stops clicking/creaking
  • Did the Stratford 100mile sportive today. Great weather and a good days riding. A few lumps to keep things interesting. The Cotswolds really are beautiful. A similar route to the mad march hare sportive I did in march (funnily enough) but about 25 degrees warmer! Wagon for a decent time but punctured and had a few problems sorting it out. Finished in about 6hr 40 thOugh so all good training. Would recommend the sportive (wheel heroes) very well run and organized.
  • Sorted bike its the bottom bracket swapped out the one off my Stealth weird as it had no play or disernable roughness strange

Had a great 3 hour marathon pace run with Cornish Digger who has deffo sorted his running glitch and Flowerpower who had a right wendy on about being tiredimage me and CD tried to explain the its notca knitting club ethos but it seemed to fall on deaf ears she keeps telling me she cant run then grinds out 18 odd miles in 3 hours image

Dont forget FP nice rest day tomorrow
  • I had a great 1500m sea swim yesterday followed by a fast 30 mile bike ride in the sun.   Today I toiled in the sun for 65 hilly miles.  I had planned for another 20 miles but as I looped past my street I met my wife in her car.  She showed me the 6 pack of cold Magners that was for later and I decided there and then that it was for now image.

Achilles is feeling not too bad in that I'm aware that it's sore but it can bear my weight.  I can't run on it but might be capable of a shifty hobble, although I don't want to test that theory until the day.

• Nice one VT'd. Pleased you have been able to train and hope you keep healing. I would sincerely enjoy a cold Magners with you on 1st/2nd July.

OW swim cut short this morning when a young scally followed me naked into the marine lake. Police were called for indescent exposure. I can tell you, there was nothing indecent about it and he seemd to tolerate cold water well. image image

• Lovely weekend, zip training, nada, zilch. Back still uncomfortable but mending. Try a run tomorrow, have to leave the bike a couple more days methinks. Aiming for a long bike next weekend, if that doesn't happen, it's not good.

• That's a round on me MT image.

I had put off booking my ferry as I wasn't sure if I was going to make it.  Not wanting to tempt fate, but if my achilles feels as good by Wednesday I'm going ahead with the booking.

Once booked I'll have to use it or loose it so I'll either be there as a competitor or helper, both have equal merits.

• Magners? did some one say Magners? I'm in. 

VT'd Good to hear you more positive, look forward to seeing you on 1st July.

Feel as if I'm on the edge of a cold, but will swim at lunch and run tonight, I can almost smell the taper now.

• I've tried to focus on your training exploits but since reading that RBM has a cat called "Captain Pissy" and that flowerpower "had a right Wendy on", my mind's locked on admiring the eccentricity of the man. Sheer Cornish class, my bird! 

On the subject of those Magners, DD, judging by your training load, you'll be getting them in while you wait for the rest of the Outlaws to finish. Surprised nobody has piped-up yet that it is a horrid, chemical, impersonation of cider, but that's probably because you all train to hard to drink around.

First open water for me in the marine lake near home yesterday. It just feels so easy and enjoyable compared to pool swimming, doesn't it? Muffin was on the shore with the kids, a camping cooker and some bacon, so i was motivated to swim well. Just disappointed that the buff, tanned, scally rocked up naked and made me look like a podgy, lillywhite old fart. He probably doesn't eat as much bacon image.

• Morning all

The week started well and ended on Thursday with a 17 mile run and then I had an unecpected weekend off .... what on earth do normal people do with their weekends??  I went and shouted words of encouragement at the Chiltern 100

Hoping to get back in to some easy training this week ... run and swim I think

• M...eldy, how if your ankle?

Anyone know when the temperature is meant to drop? This weather is good for suntans and BBQ's - not running.

• Mangers has never seen an apple in its life image Westons is one of my ciders of choice luverly, cornish rattlers quiet nice n all
  • Muffin about 4 pages ago we were all moaning about how wet and cold it was now you want the temp turned down? image
  • Sorry to moan about the sun. I only want it turing down between 9 and 12 tomorrow morning when I attempt to shuffle for 3 hours.

Will bring some homemade cider to HPP. Made with apples and nowt else.

• As a westcountry boy I'l take my cider anyway it comes, living in Dubai limits the choice to Magners / Bulmers / Strongbow. As a coeliac i can't drink beer so cider it will be. 

On the subject of hot you boys and girls don't know what hot is, anymore than i know what cold is. 

• Dubai Dave wrote (see)

On the subject of hot you boys and girls don't know what hot is, anymore than i know what cold is. 

And that gives you a huge advantage over the rest of us if it's hot on race day image

No ill effects from yesterday's hill-fest, though I wouldn't want to sit on my bike today.

Does carrying a 26.5kg labrador for about 500yds count as cross training?

• More than likely Trogs ... is he ok?

• I haven't been on for a couple of weeks, in the US with work again and once again training went to hell over there. I haven't read back becayse I know everyone will have done great bike training and it's going to freak me out. I feel way behind on the long bikes at the moment. Anyone else feeling the same way?
    I've a double Olympic race this weekend, it's my last prep race so I'm hoping that wil give me an indicator of where I'm really at in comparison to last year. Of course, last year I had 8 weeks after the Double Olympic, this year I have four!!!

• Vet said it just was arthritis in the shoulder but after a week of full strenght anti-inflams/painkillers it seems to be getting worse.  Usually she hops for the first few minutes then it eases so she can walk fairly normally. Today it didn't ease, so after she stumbled and fell on her face I took pity on her and carried her back to the car.

• Oh bless her .. I expect thats a ploy she will use when she wants a life next time as well image

• Not a chance! Next time I'll make her walk round the house/garden to assess mobility before putting her in the car and heading for the park image

• and yes .. 'life' did mean 'lift' !!

• Your dog-related ramble has killed the thread, ladies.

Did my best week of training of 2012 last week. Nowt flash by the standards of the Outlaw training crew, but 8.5 hours with nay stodge. Happy days. I'm flying on the bike and really excited to see how my current speed on short rides translates into the long ones. I'll find out soon enough, as I'll be in Tenby next week for the Long Course Weekend. I'll get my chance to smoke Muffin Top in the sea swim too image.

• Nice easy 20 mile commute into work this morning down lovely traffic free country lanes no need for lights at 5:30 am image gonna fit a 30 min swim in at lunchtime them bimble home on the bike via the scenic route not long till taper madness boys n girls image