Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Enjoy your zig zag swim.What events are you thinking of for next year?

Slower and I have agreed to wait until after Wales before making any plans. I am struggling for motivation wothout a date in the diary.

• Options
    1900metre swim this morning and an undulating 25mile cycle this afternoon

done.Got a long 100mile cycle planned for my day off on friday
  • Options
    Iron Muffin wrote (see)

Enjoy your zig zag swim.What events are you thinking of for next year?

Slower and I have agreed to wait until after Wales before making any plans. I am struggling for motivation wothout a date in the diary.

Not sure either.

I promised after Outlaw that I wouldn't go long again until 2014, because of the training (long bikes being the hardest to fit into family life), and I think 2013 is going to be quite a tricky year for me work wise. But I have said I will do the Outlaw run as part of a relay team.

I'm doing London Oly distance on 23rd September, but after that nothing booked in at all. 

My training has been all over the place, I am really missing the structure of working to a date and a plan. And I've gained about 10 pounds grrrr!!

I'm going to need something in 2013 to train for, maybe a half IM, and try to work on getting a bit quicker, and improving my technique (esp. swimming).

Do you think you'll do another long distance event next year? Having you got your eye on anything?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Great training going on here.

Well done to all those cracking out the centuries still - and that was a cracking pace, STIL, the other day! image

One more long ride for me next weekend (100) though a couple more of 5 and 4 hours are due before I can really say the bike taper has started. At least the last long run is coming up on Bank Holiday Monday, so I'm looking forward to the last few steps of that one! 

• Options

Well that hurt, a lot

zig zaging the pennines

100 mile super hilly ride, 12 % hill that lasts for 1.8 miles had me swearing

got to 95 miles and the rain came down big time

speed was not good and I do think i'll be chasing the cut offs, but I can still feel the 18 mile run in my legs, come race day I will nicely rested and with closed roads and new tyres and with the right weather am hopeful that my speed will increase just a little

take away and wine tonight

long swim tomorrow

• Options

Joddly, are you in for Wales?

BB plodder, my thoughts are similar. My main aim for the momemnt is getting my youngest started and settled into school.I had planned to learn to run in 2013 and go long again 2014.

The one event that I really fancy is IM Sweden.

• Options

I told myself after Outlaw last year that I'd take a year off from long distance, and I've ended up with two this year!

Fitting in long rides is definitely the hardest bit.  I probably haven't done quite enough since Outlaw, I managed 100 in Mallorca but nothing that long since.  Lots of hills though, and I won't loose basic endurance that quickly.  IMW could still be a bit of a shock though!

The one event I really fancy is Embrunman.  Or IM Cairns.

• Options

Great work, SA! Chuffed for you to get such a hard ride under your belt successfully. Must be a relief. Well done mate.

You're built for the hills, Dave. I'm expecting to see you going past like a racing snake at least a couple of times as I trundle along like an old tractor.

Sounds like you're squeezing some serious riding into the last few weeks Joddly. How long are you planning to taper for?

• Options

STIL, problem is if I come past at the wrong moment (near the top of a hill) you'll do what Barley did to me at Outlaw and come freewheeling back past me as I try & get some speed up on the downhill!  Even tractors come into their own in the right conditions.

• Options

3 1/2 mile run for me this morning, (only 3rd run since  buggering my leg up in May) slow to start with but getting easier now the leg is mending...

BB.....well done at Clitheroe and well done to OH (you've got him well and truly hooked now).....image

CD......My brother lives in Aus and he's done IM Cairns twice now and he is going back to do it again next year, he loves it. I think it used to be a Challenge event but it changed to an IM event this year.

• Options

Next year is a long way off but I am definitely planning on Embrunman again next August.  It's the 30th anniversary of the great race so should be good!  image

Joddly - how's your training been going?  Sounds as though you're on track- I'd forgotton you were doing IMW as well!

Everyone seems to be going well - sounds a tough ride SA but I'm sure it will stand you in good stead on the day

Anyone seen Max?  I bet he's in full on training mode to tan me good and proper at the Little Woody....honestly mate you'd beat me riding/running backwards! image

• Options

Mmmmm..... Embrunman looks proper cool. Especially the lil plastic cups you get to carry, like the egg n spoon race at school image. Not sure I'll race next year though. And if I do... it'll be pancake flat.

Max is doing intervals, I think, Slim. Sea swimming round Cornwall to Bristol, picking up his fixie and then hammering home (the hilly route). Sets of 10 image. Be afraid!

8-mile trot pre-work today. Very wet round here still. Soggier than a teenage boy's sock. Off to Dublin tonight, so unlikely to do much else before Friday. Have fun! 

• Options

enjoy Dublin, I know I did last time over there

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Evening all.

Yes, Muffin, I'm doing Wales - this year I know what I'm up against!

The reason for the fairly high volume of long stuff this late in training is that I got a quite behind during the Olympics - I absolutely loved being a Games Maker, but each event took up a whole day(Road races x 2, Time trials, Triathlons x2) and it didn't fit too well with work and keeping the home going!! So I'm doing a bit of cramming, but taking inspiration from Wiggo, Lizzie, Al and Jonny as I go.....image 

Tapering really does begin after the Bank Holiday, but running before biking before swimming, and keeping a much higher total volume right through to the final week than I would for a marathon.

Looking forward in the meantime to hearing about the Little Woody image.

• Options

Slim my  I phone blew up so been off line all week been same as you had a bit of a downer on training if you were down here you should have gave me a shout could have shown you some good swim places image

I am so laid back about LW I am thinking of taking my cyclo cross/touring bike if the forecast is grim and cruising roundimage 

The swim is vaguely worrying as have had about 4 breif swims since Outlaw still its gonna be fun do we have to take our own nutrition or are there feed stations?

T

• Options

Woody and Wales envy from me. Sounds like training and planning going well. Joddly, you sound really organised - impressive.image

When can I start reading about some taper madness?

• Options

Max - I'd like to say that my I Phone has blown up but the only thing that could happen to my brick is if it sinks ( or is placed in a museum) !image

You have done three more swims than me since Outlaw but like you I am pretty laid back and what will be will be.  My family are now making the trip but Bruv is not as he's just moved.

I think they supply SIS drink and gels at the feedstations on the bike and then all sorts of different things on the run.

I'm planning on arriving mid afternoon on the friday to miss the BH getaway if i can

See you there  image

• Options
    Will be there around 4 ish going to the pasta party?
  • Options

Not sure yet about the pasta party was going to see what the general concensus was - but probably image

Weather looks a bit iffy over the weekend - have a good training weekend everyone!

• Options
    The weather here in Cornwall is awful and the F of D forexcast looks pants so just in case we are in for snother Bala 2011 i am taking waterproofs and warm kit and my touring bike so Slim no pressure if i get a faster bike split than you on my clunker with mudguards and rackimage
  • Options

Good luck for the weekend, fellas. Hope you have a very cool time down in the boonies. Pressure on you, Slim!

Hoping to make some running progress this weekend. Swim last night (rubbish - as usual) and hoping to get clear from work early enough to enjoy a ride this afternoon. Then a couple of long runs tomorrow and Sunday before a killer brick on Monday. Happy training, peeps image.

• Options

Tired swimming on Wednesday, but got ambushed by the breast stroke mafia.

Back on the bike Thursday, legs still feeling the 100 on Tuesday, but a few short sharp hills and one drawn out climb (the one on the Jodrell Bank thingy from earlier in the year, Muffin Top will know which one I'm on about)

Felt better going up some of the climbs than have done, so the training must be getting there

Running tonight

Good luck to those racing this weekend

• Options
    Back from a 100 mile ride out to North Wales with a fair few hills thrown in mainly around Delamere forest. Followed by a 3 mile run.Legs are heavy now though.
  • Options

Good work Bobby. It is lovely riding round Delamere, the scenery should have helped a tad.

Feeble in comparison but I have just done 45 mins on the turbo. It has been gathering dust so thought I would finish the week with a blast. Glad I did, it was almost enjoyable.

SA, great riding this week, it sounds almost like a holiday training camp. I do recall the hill, it was long as I recall but the gradient steady and company great.

• Options
    Slim pressures off mate sorry but gave up after 4 gridlocked hours on the M5 as with the traffic report saying it was rammed all the way to Bristol we needed to spend a penny and ended up an hour and a half stuck in Sainsburys Yeovil carpark image traffic was a total mare coming up and the motorway was virtually empty on the otherside took us 41/2 hurs to get to Taunton and 2 hours to get home

Sorry mate first time i have DNFed a race on the motorway the day before image
  • Options

Blimey Max that is some traffic build up, couldn't you have cycled   image

• Options
    We did discuss that option image it was a total mare we expected the usual herd crawling into Cornwall for the bank holiday but it was the other way round image

Gonna go and cycle the Cornish Way on sustrans 3 tommorow as a penance
  • Options

Max - just back from the LW.  Sorry to hear what happened but i guessed it would be traffic.

I will write a race report very soon but it was a great event, much as I imagined it. The weather mostly held for us doing the LW .

A great event  image

• Options
    Cheers Slim glad it went well, i beasted myself with a tough 6 hour ride on the Cornish way with my crosser/tourer really hilly route stacks of rain and two punctures! I need better tyres image absolutely cream crackered today image
  • Options

That certainly was punishment !!!