Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Was thinking about it Razor, not sure about whats going to be better, that or a hilly 100

• Hey everyone, I have had my problems with training in the past few weeks, basically, man flu followed by a heavy work travel schedule, then to top it off an itb injury that has stopped me running and cycling at all this past week.

So basically I have had a really low volume of training in the past 2 and a half weeks with not much sign of change before ironman wales.

I'm worried... ??5 weeks of very little training before racing my first IM distance is not confidence inspiring...

Assuming my knee lets me train by the weekend, what would you do in my situation to try rescue some fitness and get to the start line in the best possible state of mind?
  • Crux - everyone is different but you cannot catch up on training missed - so dont do anything drastic!

What I would do is a 3-4 hr bike on saturday followed by a 1.45 - 2hr run on the sunday.  All nice and steady but if you complete it then I think you will feel more positive about IMW.  I would then do consistent training up until the last week - nothing particularly long but just consistent.  Then taper...job done!  image

• Crux look on the positives you will be well tapered and rested for Wales its your first so the aim is to complete not get a time sooo relax and do what you can in the time remaining as long as you are fit n well this IM lark really is all about the mental game
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Crux - sorry you've been poorly. I agree totally with what Slim and Max say. It's taper time now, and attempting to cram in too much extra training in these last weeks is going to leave you at the start with fatigue at the start. I reckon Slim's spot on with those targets for the coming weekend - they are the same as mine! Actually I'll be running first, and maybe you should do it that way round too, to decrease the risk of setting back your knee.

Hang on in there!

• Bad luck with the knee injury, Crux. Going from nought to 100 now is only going to break you. The time to get fitter has passed. Best you can hope for is to arrive fresh. Maybe try to look back on some of your earlier training before you got the cold and focus on positives.

Reading back over the last couple of days it seems like everybody's going to sack the long, slow stuff and go sprinty. Have you been reading too much Kitten Cat image? I might join you. I'm keen on faster/flatter rather than longer/harder too.... unless Slim convinces me to do Embrunman image.

Had to rest yesterday. Felt soooo weary. Swim set at lunch today and I was knackered at the end; 1km warm-up, 2x400 as my main set and then 200m warm down. Still tinkering with stroke mechanics and I think I'm making it harder for myself. I should settle for an 80-minute swim at Tenby and get over it. Can't help it if I have a mermaid for a swim partner!

Last knockings for me before taper starts on Sunday, so feeling knackered is probably about right. Looking at 80-100 on the bike tomorrow and a 2-hour run on Saturday. Then crash diet for a fortnight image.

• swim for me tonight, will be 2.4mile effort, then short turbo and run on friday, followed last long bike Sunday (hurrah!)

• I'm looking for a swim of a mile, maybe 2k tomorrow morning, followed by a 3h ride, probably laps of Box Hill so it'll be quality rather than quantity in terms of mileage.  10-15 mile run Saturday with a parkrun in the middle, and winding down after that I would think.  Two weeks of sorting kit, packing & re-packing is about right.

• 4k swim last night in 1:34:00, 10 laps of a 400M loop, i still think its a little over 400m, but, I'll take that time

• Good swimming, a great time. SA.

I managed a 1600m in the pool yesterday, slow (just under 40mins), but it was all front crawl, and without a pull buoy. That, for me, is progress imageimage.

Not happy this morning, got up at silly o'clock for a bike ride, only to find I had a flat back tyre image. Sorry to say I went back to bed!!!

•  unless Slim convinces me to do Embrunman image.  STIL - if you've read my report and still aren't convinced then I'm afraid there is nothing more I can do!  image

• Good swimming SA and Bburn.An hours cycle followed by 30 minute run this morning for me.I can tell im training tired so a rest day needed tomorrow i think.
  • Back to bed? Thats the positive mental attitude i keep banging on about imageimage

Had a splurge of running this week so the knees are a little sore i shall punish them for their weakness with 2 hours on the fixie tomorrow got new wheels to try out image
  • Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    Back to bed? Thats the positive mental attitude i keep banging on about imageimage
    Had a splurge of running this week so the knees are a little sore i shall punish them for their weakness with 2 hours on the fixie tomorrow got new wheels to try out image

I know, I've felt guilty all day. Managed another mile swim this lunchtime, and I will do an hour weights in gym tonight - that's my punishment!!

PMSL on your poor knees. imageimage.

• An hour in the pool would be punishment for me image
  • I managed to get out on the bike today. First ride since Sunday's tri. Didn't swim Monday due to the BH, and won't swim tonight either.

• so dilema today

my pirate skin has started to give me a bit of chaffing round the bottom area.

so have tried my pirate shorts and monaco, which seem to be fine.

I'm sure I have agreed to lend my monaco to someone for IM Wales

Does any one have a large /extra large monaco that they could lend to the perosn I have agreed to lend mine to?

• Fraid not SA mine are a tad smaller image

Knees duly punished with a well hilly route on the fixie which we did at a pretty mean pace and not a niggle or peep out of my knees image treat em mean to keep em keen image
  • SA try contacting Barlos, I am sure he will have one to loan

• Last 100 mile cycle for me today the Manchester 100.It was an enjoyable ride,6hrs 14mins. Alot of people punctured so I seem to have been lucky. A few climbs through delamere but mainly flat.
  • OK so couldn't do my hilly 100 today, the route across the pennines had visibility down to 10 meters in some points, so decided to do ride out across Cheshire, saw Bobby Nobby at one point, not sure if I have been pushing to hard this week or nutrition wasn't great or a combination of the two but I did 93.5 miles and could hardly turn the pedals after that, so that's it for me and now into tapir, i have done as much as was possible and if that's not enough then so be it, but I am completely knackered and am looking forward to the tapir and then meeting loads of mates at Tenby.

• Shame about the hilly ride SA but maybe for the best if you were training tired anyway.I feel the same saying ive done as much as i could fit in.Hopefully it will be enough.Looking forward to heading down there now.
  • Bobby,

Sorry we missed you this morning, what time did you set off? we were off at 8.15.Finished at 1.15 but riding time was 4.23.

I was one of the unfortunate one's who got puncture, front wheel slid from under me and I went down like a bag of shit and I've got the road rash to prove it, pics on PSOF.

• Razor likewise sorry i missed you.I was due to set off at 7.45 but got stuck in the traffic.Ended up setting off at 8.20 i think it was.I timed my ride at 6.14. Took gels and powerbars with me so didnt stop at the feed stations. Ive seen the pics hope your ok mate.I saw a few people sliding early on before the roads dried out.
  • Yeah, no probs mate, well done on your 100miles, we did the  100k. You must have passed us while I was getting patched up at the first feed station...image

• Well done to everyone on the long rides this weekend.

I'm now really feeling set up for a taper. Had a good ride today - a flat, local sportive gave me four hours of riding, then went for a 40 minute run off. Yesterday was a fairly tough 2hr run. I'm a bit tired, but not totally knackered, and looking forward to some shorter rides and runs next week.

Happy tapering image!

• Where did you find a flat 4 hrs round here ??  !!!

• It really was pretty flat!

It was the OxBucks sportive - less than 900m climb over 70 miles. It's a circuit with Bicester in the middle, and starts just down the road from us, so v convenient.

Plus you got a free hot dog at the end image.

• Bargain, why didnt I know about that one? 

Joining us tomorrow ??

• Not quite such a bargain - I I forgot to mention the £30 entry fee.....!

Busy day at work tomorrow, so I can't get out at lunchtime - may get an early swim in, though.