Run Fatboy, Run

Hi image I'm Toby and I shockingly discovered that fat is out this season, to be replaced with some ridiculous thing called health, the new black, as it were.

I am 30 and currently 18 stone (even though I hate pies teehee) and I've been overweight for AGES. I've never had a problem with day-to-day fitness, in that I have always easily and willingly walked stairs, cycled to college and work, play badminton in a local league...But there's no other way of putting it, it's gross image

Anyway in January 2012 I started one of those couch to 5k iphone apps, having jogged maybe once or twice in my whole life, probably because school made me. Obviously it's baby steps and easy going but I've not failed any of the sessions yet and can now run (jog?) for 20 minutes without stopping. By the end of March I should have completed the app (9 weeks) and therefore be able to run 30 minutes.

I've mapped out and measured my neighbourhood route by car and gps and it looks like I'll be running 3 miles in 30 minutes, if I continue at the same rate as I have been.

ok some actual questions!

I start to feel really tired/I need to get off now at about ten minutes, but I'm a stubborn b*stard and so I just continue and it kind of gets better or I just tolerate it well enough. Will this improve or will I always get this feeling quite soon into a run?

Also, I'm really not sure about how I should be feeling in general...I've used and abused my body so I'm rubbish at interpreting its signals, as bizarre as that sounds...I come away from every session with my ankles, calves, knees, thighs (and possibly hip, can't tell if it's just more thigh or what lol), my sides and back/shoulders feeling weak and sore...Will this get better (I'm sure it's normal for my body to protest at least to start with: wtf bro', just sit quietly and have a f00king family bag of Maltesers already). It's not a problem, I'm used to aches and pains, it won't stop me, but it would be nice to know that it will get better and won't happen so readily and that I'm not actually paving the way to injury (if I have to stop will I ever bother to start again?!)

I'm going to try and start some circuits that I've assembled from another app(!), things like weighted lunges/squats, and some core work, bicycle crunches etc...And I've got the 5k to 10k bridge the gap app (I told you I was lazy!) I'm just open to any comments/advice from the more experienced etc etc

Goals: Fitness. I would like to run the local Parkrun as a fun thing; I'd like to do 10k races for cancer charities although I walked 10k along the Thames today and it's flipping MILES!! image I'd love to get a really good time for 5k as well, but maybe the weight precludes this or the age? urgh.

Cheers image

Comments

• Good work on starting. All you have to do is carry on and you'll be doing stupid marathons and god knows what before you know it.

The ten minute thing ?
    Well it takes me about 20 mins to warm up on a run so the first 20 mins for me are rubbish. After that its fine. I guess I'm like a car on a cold day. It could be that ?

The aches and pains ?
    So long as its nothing sharp then its probably just your body getting used to it. A bit of aching is good for you. As its even nicer when it stops.

Parkrun is great - if you can do 5k in 30 mins you wont be last. Check out the local results online and see how well you'd do. I reckon if you can do 20 on your own - you're really not far off doing 5k non stop. Adrenaline and other people really push you.

Keep up the good work, but look at your diet. You must be overeating to get the extra weight on. Sadly its so much easier eating 100 calories than it is burning them off again. So cut back and you should see results shortly.
  • Nice work, sir, keep it up!

I started at the end of October 2011 and I've just done my first non-stop 10k this morning (before work).

• Will the "can I stop now" get better. In my experience, yes, it'll be longer and longer, some days it won't even happen, some days you'll get it when you're not expecting it, but on the whole it will improve if you stick at it. A friend at work told me I'm not stubborn, I'm committed - I thought she meant I was a bit mad, but apparently that's a good thing to say.
    • Will the aching improve? Same answer, and again there will be good days and bad days, but if I've learned one thing, it's that an ache goes away, whereas a bone sticking out of your leg does not, so it's about accepting that it'll hurt, but sticking with it, while paying attention to your body (and then ignoring it if it's just whining). I stopped or a fortnight with a wonky knee - my doctor told me to "reallt go for it" - I did, and you know what, it went away after a bit. Not saying everything works like that, but aches and pains seem to.
    • Circuits sound like fun if you want to - me, I mostly run, but saying that I'm thinking ahead to Good Mudder Newcastle 2013, and the need for all-round fitness (and ability to withstand electrocution) so I may be joining you.
    • Parkrun is ace - I've been to my local one once so far, and found I ran a good bit faster than on my own. Half an hour for 5k means you won't be at the back, in case you're worried.
    • I'm doing a 10k in April, another in June, and thinking about a half marathon later in the year. First one is for Medecins Sans Frontieres.
    • I started at 16.5 stone and figured it would take ages - I've lost a bit of weight, but I've lost more girth, as those tricksy muscles must be forming somewhere inside me. Had a couple of people at work ask if I've lost weight, to which I've answered "not, really, but I've got thinner".

Keep at it - find out what motivates you - I tried a bit of trail running in my nearest country park, and absolutely loved it - got me a pair of Mizuno Wave Harrier shoes and a plan to get out in the hill in the summer. 

pursuedbyangrybees.wordpress.com

•  
  • Hi Cougie: Thanks. image I'm not sure how long it takes me to warm-up, at the moment I'm commanded by a robotic woman to walk for five minutes before running...By the ten-minute thing I mean I start wheezing and thinking oh sh1t sh1t sh1t lol I don't get any sharp pain when actually running, but I get the odd sharp random twinge when I'm back at home sometimes. Goes away when I stare angrily at the offending anatomy though?! It's definitely my diet, don't worry there's no mystery, my situation is entirely self-made and I don't blame metabolic syndrome or diabetes as I've had those things checked...In fact my pulse is about 54 and my blood pressure is 119/70 so I have no excuse image

Hi Pursuedbyangrybees: Thanks. I buy far too many books so I shall now probably buy the book you mention in your blog image I would like to kid myself and believe that my lack of weightloss is due to the building of muscle but several times I have actually gone for a run and then ordered a pizza! lol But I'm working on it...I love healthy stuff as well as sweet, sweet chocolate so I shall try and cut down, no need to add stuff that I haven't been getting...

I am looking forward to buying some proper runner's shoes! At the moment I'm using some Nike Pegasus shoes that were still new, even though I bought them in something like 2006 haha
  • Toby sounds like your doing a preyty much everything right at the moment. Like cougie said through eating and a lot easier than burning it off again.

I'd get signed up for the park run as soon as you feel like you can start doing it even if you don't go good what you might be thinking are good times and are last it's going to mean you have your times on something that you can motivate yourself by Trust me mate you won't the last person there and some folks walk half the distance, they are a good laugh. After a month or so your going to see your times go down and get some achievement from it.

Also if your thinking off doing some 10 K races I'd start looking around for something local and fix that in your mind. So start thinking right Apirl/May there is this it's going to be brilliant not get out there and do what you need to do.

Your changing what your doing so normal to get aches and pains as your body thinks can I just go back to bed. If you fancy it after your done a 10 k or two you could even do the whole simon pegg thing and sign up for a marathon next year or at the tail end off this year. Keep rocking mate your doing brilliantly! imageimage

• Hi Cake: Thanks. Mmmmmmmmm, Cake. I was thinking of the Oxford 10k which is early May, but I'm not sure if I'm insane to think I can do it without vomiting blood lol
  • Dude some of the folks who post on here reguarely came from the same background as you and there first race was a marathon. Will it hurt almost deffianatly but will you enjoy it? Hell yes go for it, it's not as scary as you think it is. image
  • Hi Toby, well done on your lifestyle change. I too have emmbarked on a fitness regime recently. Six months ago I would struggle to run 3 miles, with oxygen bellowing out of every oraface I had. Take into account,  I have always been an active individual I found it hard to understand why I struggled so much. My body ached, stomach hurt, ankles knees etc. What made the difference for me was in fact a good diet. I have always been aware of the significance of eating well however, I never embarked on such an obvious regime even when I was at my most active. The difference is unbelievable, I have so much energy when running. When I plan my runs it`ll be the proverbial A to B then home. Now, I find myself starting at A going to B and then spurring of to C.

I think the circuits you have planned is a good idea, it`ll make you fitter, faster and stronger. image

• Weirdly I do enjoy the running, apart from the aforementioned oh sh1t oh sh1t moments, and I've never finished and thought I don't want to do it again...but if I DO vomit blood I might have to take legal advice image
  • Hi Tobyloby,

I enjoyed reading your original post, i identified with so much of it - particularly the family bag of maltezers image

I "run" 5k in just under 30 minutes and pretty much puff and snort all the way round. I've just started running 10k and entered a local event at the end of March. My aim is to complete it in under an hour so I've got 2 minutes to shed between now and then

I find the first 15/17 minutes are the worst for me. I want to give up. After that I seem to get into a better rhythm and my gait and breathing smoothe out.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Hi Toby, well done for getting out there image  Enjoying reading your posts image
  • I started running back round the end of October with the C25K plan and am now running between 50-60 min.  I still get to the "OMG, why am I putting my body through this?!!!" stage, but get through it reminding myself that this is what gets me fitter and better.

I don't imagine that ever goes away as long as we are challenging ourselves to keep doing more.  But you will find that you go further/faster before that point kicks in.

Keep at it, sounds like you are doing really well!

• Thanks guys image

Run 1 of week 6 completed. My legs now really, really hate me.
  • Tobyloby wrote (see)
    Thanks guys image Run 1 of week 6 completed. My legs now really, really hate me.

Just wait till you get to run 3. image

Jusk kidding.  I remember though that week 6 was a tough one for me after repeating week 5.  But I was so proud to get through it!

• Well all will go fine as long as you make this your life from now on not just a prelude to a keep fit dvd, so to speak.

After a few years your running will either become your main way of getting excersise, relieving stress, being competitive, or just one of a variety of "sports things you do" When it does you will look back on this time as though it was happening to another person. Your 5 k time will be eye wateringly fast, and going for an hours run will be what you do because there is nothing on TVand its a bit of fun isnt it.

By then a half marathon is just a matter of sharpening up and suddenly a marathon looks well just 26 miles innit?

S'easy!

You may even find yourself not going out on a Saturday night because you want to be fresh as a daisy for a sneaky 8 miler before work on Sunday.

Yes is could happen...oh yeah better believe it...and your friends won't be surprised.....because well you run dont you?

• Ssssh Evie! I'm in denial about what I have to do this Wednesday! image

Stephen: I would actually love to have that kind of life...I just wish I could get an upload ala The Matrix or Total Recall to get there! image
  • Hi Tobyloby,

I can't add much in the way of advice as I am a relatively new to running myself.

Congratulations on getting started and sticking with it thus far. Just keep going at what your doing, It will get easier. Maybe you could join your local running club. I did a few months ago, it has been fantastic for motivation and I have made a few good friends.

Thermo.
  • Hi Thermo, thanks. I do like the sound of a running club (my local is Reading Roadrunners), especially as I think it'll make me run faster/farther (I do this when I think people are watching, even though I run in the dark only lol) but I was going to wait until my jiggly bits are a little less jiggly!
  • The reduction in jiggling is a fantastic motivator, I find No longer do I have to content with my stomach trying to launch itself into space in a bizarre slingshot motion, harnessing the power of gravity to escape the clutches of the earth.

Now it just goes 'a-wobble' as I plod along. Someday I imagine it will just sit there and not make any contribution to the experience - who knows. 

My wife paid me a lovely compliment the other day, she said I now only look very fat when I am bending over to pick something up and all the extra bits are forced together. When standing straight, I merely look overweight. Get in!  image

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Love the compliment PBAB image

Toby, join the club when you feel ready.  Even if you still have some *jiggly* bits there will be other runners there with *jiggly* bits too anyway, not all club runners are string beans!  Don't put off joining image

• Oi you Toby have you run today?!!!

Morning is almost over hurry up trainers on forget about the toast * slaps hand with toast"

Come on come on its raining put on a coat 

Mush mush.....only a mile to go, then another, then another...........

Yes I did my eight when you where abed

Gone on see if you can match it 

I dare youimage

• Lol my iPhone hasn't told me to run today so there image

Maybe if you put on a slightly robotic slightly northern female voice and start issuing commands I might feel obliged, as that's what is used to tell me what to do image (but be careful sometimes I want to take that b**tch down!!)

I somehow think you'd be a good running partner!
  • Haha Bees hehe ooh would that I had such a person giving me their valued opinion image

Cinders: yup, I think I'll do some Parkruns first, so that I'm not super super slow and so I have an official time to improve upon
  • Welcome Toby

I was in a similar situation to you, grossly overweight and very unfit. I joined the gym in May of last year solely with the intention of losing some weight and getting fitter. I started by walking for 29 minutes and running 1 on the treadmill, I slowly increased the running time and after about 3 months was able to run for the 30 minutes I have time for in my lunch break.

At about the same time I started venturing out on a Sunday morning to see if I could run for as long in the real world, my first run was 3.47 miles in 45 minutes. Last Sunday I ran 15.66 miles in 2 hours 44 minutes so you can progress and improve but give yourself time. The most beneficial side effect of this running malarkey is that I've lost 3st 10lbs in that time. Oh and I'm 51!
  • Hi Gary thanks that's encouraging image
  • Hmmm playing 3 hours of badminton on a non-running day doesn't help with shin pain it seems!
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Have you tried icing them?
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Morning

Get the frozen peas out and try them on your shins if they are very painful image

• Radox works well for that as well. Just get a good book and a glass of wine/pop and chill in the bath for an hour if you can get away with it.

Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

Well all will go fine as long as you make this your life from now on not just a prelude to a keep fit dvd, so to speak.

After a few years your running will either become your main way of getting excersise, relieving stress, being competitive, or just one of a variety of "sports things you do" When it does you will look back on this time as though it was happening to another person. Your 5 k time will be eye wateringly fast, and going for an hours run will be what you do because there is nothing on TVand its a bit of fun isnt it.

By then a half marathon is just a matter of sharpening up and suddenly a marathon looks well just 26 miles innit?

S'easy!

You may even find yourself not going out on a Saturday night because you want to be fresh as a daisy for a sneaky 8 miler before work on Sunday.

Yes is could happen...oh yeah better believe it...and your friends won't be surprised.....because well you run dont you?

Seconded imageimageimage