Running to TRI

Afternoon all,

apologies as I am sure you have had this question many of time. I would like to make the transition from running to TRI. I have run a marathon in 4:30, HM in 1:55 and 10K in 51 min. I currently run approx 30 miles per week & XT twice a week.

I am average on the bike and swimming isnt my forte. Is it safe to go straight to olympic distance or should I start with a sprint TRI?

Many Thanks,

Valentino

Comments

• Brilliant! Thanks very much for your prompt help and reply... here we go!!!
  • You sound about my level with the running, I'm starting with a sprint tri, simply because I've only just started swimming properly. Good luck!
  • That's the only worry I have... The swimming! I am really bad at it...
  • I'd recommend some coached sessions. I started last week, never been able to swim front crawl before, and on Friday I did 20 lengths (with lots of stopping). Technique is so important, and a coach will give you so many good tips. I suspect it's very easy to jump in the pool yourself and just develop loads of bad habits.
  • Good point. Are they expensive? How much coaching would one need?
  • I see, can you use those as training sessions or would you need to do that on top? I am just thinking of time factor, family etc...
  • thanks kittenkat. I will do a bit of research and see how i get on... roll on march the 12th!
  • My local leisure centre runs a FitSwim session on Tuesday evening, less than a fiver, and it consists of maybe 10 people swimming with a coach present, giving help and advice. As I was the complete novice there last week she gave me a lot of attention, set me a task and let me work with it for a while, then came back and told me what I was doing right and wrong. i was honestly amazed with how quickly I was able to swim a length or two, breathing on both sides... I was completely knackered, though!

I'm sure a one-on-one session would be much better, but I suspect it would cost a lot more too.

• Yes,

I was just looking into it... It's approximately £40-£45 per hour...!  Ouch... that is a little steep but I see if they do something similar where I leave... Just e-mailed the local sport centre.

• If I were you I would start looking at Half Ironmans and Ironmans.

The wetsuit helps bad swimmers as it aids body position and it is such a short part of the day (but not making it to the end of the swim is poor form and rarely gets wife approval as funerals for lost at sea are a bugger to organise).

Enjoy it.

M.eface

• m.eface,

thanks for the boost! Half Iron Man! I wish I was that fit... may be in a year or so... I would like to get the sprint and Oly distance mastered before contenplating IM...

This is my plan:

year one: Sprint and Oly

year two: 1/2 IM

year three: IM

Take Care

V

• Plinsky wrote (see)

m.eface,

thanks for the boost! Half Iron Man! I wish I was that fit... may be in a year or so... I would like to get the sprint and Oly distance mastered before contenplating IM...

This is my plan:

year one: Sprint and Oly

year two: 1/2 IM

year three: IM

Take Care

V

year one completed...

• You coming to Nice next year then ? !!

• Nice... mmm that sounds interesting: It's only a couple of hours from m home town: is it half ironman?

• Nope - it's the real deal.