The scariest movie ever made?

For me it has to be The Entity. It freaks me out every time i see it. Something about the music. The Exorcist is a close second. It just gets under your skin.

The Nightmares, Fridays are okay, and i found The Orphanage quite scary in places. Also The Strangers is pretty freaky, but it still is The Entity for me.

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    House Bunny. Friends made me go and see it - it was horrific.
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Evil dead 2 on a big screen stoned of your gourd (back in my student days, iwouldn't advocate such activity now!). Reall scared the snot out of me!
  • Blair Witch Project - the only time I have had to sleep with the light on!
  • American Werewolf in London when i was a kid shat myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • The one that really gave me the willies was Jacob's Ladder.

I don't know why exactly; I think because it is more psychological that just buckets of blood being thrown around.

• Got to be Stephen King's It for me, pennywise freaks me out to this day. I guess some people would call that a mini drama though so filmwise Kurt Russel classic The Thing.

ps - They all float

• Dumbo. I had to be taken out of the cinema, aged 7. I never did find out what happened, I just found the beginning really upsetting!
  • TownerTowner ✭✭✭
    Nosferatu the vampyre....the original 1920's version.watch in complete darkness,late at night....very creepy.
  • The original version of 'The Vanishing' - genuine shock ending.
  • insidious - first hour is scary as hell.last 30min arent as scary and gets a bit daft. but you would be traumatised from the first bit.

insidious

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Oh yes American Werewolf and the Thing, yes good call.
    Also Alien - wasn't supposed to watch it when it first came on tv but smuggled the portable tv into my bedroom and had to sit close with low volume - found it hard to get to sleep after!!
    Also Hellraiser.....
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Poltergeist, and jaws. Watched as a child they really left their mark.
  • Paranormal Activity

Hands down the scariest movie I have ever seen.

So scary I actively tell people to avoid it.

Even thinking about it makes me feel a bit nauseous.

When I was a child it was the Omen. The first time it was shown on TV i watched it. My mum didnt know she had snoozed off on the sofa and I remember turning round and  seeing her asleep and  being too scared to wake her up but too scared to turn off the TV and go to bed.

When a new print of the Exorcist was released a few years ago it was the sound production that was the effective part. Screaming one minute then silence like a knife.

Really dont watch Paranormal Activity

Really dont....

• Seven freaked me out a bit, but I was 15 and saw it in the cinema.

Otherwise I don't get that scared by films, possibly because I don't beleive in things like ghosts so I don't find the paranormal plays with my mind. I didn't find paranormal activity that scary really. 

• I found Seven scary and The Shinning.  Jack Nicholson going slowly mad in a remote, cut off location.  Proper scary stuff.  I thought Blair Witch was scary too.

I didn't see what's scary about the Exorcist.  I didn't see it video either; it was at the cinema.  I chuckled at a fair few bits, but not being Catholic I suppose the possession thing has no significance for me so it was just a bit silly and over acted. 

• I watched Paranormal Activity 3 the other night and it was NOT in the least bit scary. It certainly didn't live up to the hype.
  • Paranormal Activity wasn't bad at all.

Personally I think the original Japanese version of The Ring... and my personal favourive "Event Horizon"!!

• Another vote here for The Omen. So many of the scenes are in daylight, which makes it worse. Never got why folks found the Exorcist so scary.

Now for something proper scary - 'Threads' about a nuclear attack on Sheffield, started by a disute over Iran. It was shown on tv in the mid 80's. Now that IS horribly scary. Got it on DVD.

American Werewolf in London? three words...JENNY..... AGUTTER......NURSE image

• The film that scared me the most was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, when the child catcher came on. Apparently I was out of the cinema so fast my father had difficulty catching up with me. I was only 5 at the time. Otherwise I don't watch scary movies, just not my thing.
  • BBC's Screen Two, Ghost Watch. Now that was scary! It was filmed to look like a live documentary. Mr Pipes the ghost scared the sh*t out of me when it was shown on Hallowe'en night 1993.
  • My son was watching Paranormal Activity on tv...in the house...on his own...and you know the bit when all the electricity goes out in the house in the film...just at that bit the electricity went off in our house and he was plunged into darkness...he said he nearly wet himself!
  • Spice Girls - the Movie
  • poltergeist...never really watched any after that as i realsied that i didn't need to watch things if i didn't want to...........

i used to get scared at scooby do when i was younger.............and also i cry at everything from the waltons to disney stories and any drama and well anything almost...my kids and OH will always turn around during a film to have a check and a laugh at me
  • gingerfurball wrote (see)
    My son was watching Paranormal Activity on tv...in the house...on his own...and you know the bit when all the electricity goes out in the house in the film...just at that bit the electricity went off in our house and he was plunged into darkness...he said he nearly wet himself!
    That happened to me the first time I watch Saw. Didn't help that i was quite drunk and stoned at the time! Did take a second or two to realise that it had nothing to do with the film and was just the credit had gone!
    Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)

I didn't see what's scary about the Exorcist.  I didn't see it video either; it was at the cinema.  I chuckled at a fair few bits, but not being Catholic I suppose the possession thing has no significance for me so it was just a bit silly and over acted. 

I think this is why I didn't find the Exorcist very scary - I don't believe it could possibly happen, but I guess if you did then it would play on your mind more. That and the fact that ever since childhood my mum told me she'd walked out the cinema because it was so scary built it up in my mind. What I didn't realise at the time is my mum just doesn't like any scary films!

• The scariest thing I ever watched was an episode of Dr Who when I was a kid - there was this little rubber doll and it came to life...they found it struggling in the curtains...I think I nearly passed out with the fear...seems really stupid now lol!!

(Probably why I HATE Dr Who now!!)
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Ohh interesting.

More recent films don't scare me as much as I just think that they are a bit silly.  Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch are good for making me jump but they don't scare me.

The Entity, yes, and The Omen films genuinely frighten me.  When I first watched The Omen I watched it on my own and I had to get a friend to come round because I was too afraid to be in the house on my own.

The Exorcist scares me a bit, as does Poltergeist but those films frighten me more for the back stories about what happened on set/during the makings of than anything else.  (Sort of along the lines of don't meddle with things or they will come back and get you.)

The first Saw film is very disturbing and upsetting but not scary as such.

Interesting that Nam mentions The Ring, I think she's the only one to mention it and I have to agree, proper poop your pants stuff.

• I was really disappointed with the US remake of The Ring.  The Japanese original is so much creepier. 
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Generally speaking remakes are scary for a different reason, scarily sh*t!!!

• There is another Japanese movie ... "The Grudge" ... which is pretty good.  image
  • I dunno I watched the US version of the ring first and kinda liked how it explained how it all started, while the Japanese version it just seemed really random and unexplained.

Then again maybe I only liked it because I hadn't seen the Japanese one and didn't know any better... I think I need to watch them both again. this thread is making me want to watch a few scary movies anyway!