BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• Regarding using the toilets before the race, I take a drink and a gel 3/4 hr before the start then nothing, I wear one of those paper coveralls which are perfect to keep you warm and very handy to hide your modesty whilst peeing in an empty bottle.

8 miles on the track tonight with 5 at sub 6 mins.

• By the way, the starting pen info is up at http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/files/events/berlin-marathon/2012/pdf/teilnehmerbroschuere-2012-en.pdf - the info given above by andyc209 is the same again this year.

• Strunner - I'll have to let others answer, as I couldn't get into my pen (I was literally running late at the back.

Sorry to hear about the sciatic. I'm missing Boro 10k Sunday myself due to PF - will be seeing the physio instead... Also, apart from foot pain, was looking firward to beating my PB!
  • Can anyone tell me why these rogur re-postings (as above) occur?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Sorry IM - havent a clue! Sorry tohear you're missing the 10K but hey, that's not your target race - Berlin is! Focus on recovery for that. On the PF front, I've been rolling my foot on an elastic band ball whilst sat at my desk the last few days and it's come on leaps and bounds. Seems constant massage on it is working for me (althogh mine has been much milder than the sound of yours and BB)

STRunner - are you following P+D? I'm pretty sure there's a page or 2 in there on how to jump back in to training after injury, based on how long you had off and how close to race day. I dont have it to hand but can dig it out later when home (assuming my memory serves me correctly). As for adjusting taper, I'm no expert but I'm guessing it depends on how long you end up off your feet. Sound slike you're keeping up with your fitness by x-training so I'd say not all is lost right now - far from it. Just try and emulate your schedule with your x-training for now.

Jonah - paper suit?? like a decorating boiler suit thing? Impressive track sesh by the way

KW - welcome back! Sounds like you enjoyed the holiday image Why else go to be honest! guess your 10k will give you a good idea on how far off target you are, if at all! Sometime a good rest can work wonders. 29 days to race day so still time to pull it back if needs be! 2 weeks off isn't the end of the world - you'll lose aerobic fitness before muscle fitness so a 10k will definitely give you a good idea!

So, what are people's plans this weekend? Anyone racing? I've got a nice, slow 45 min recovery run tomorrow followed by an MP run on Sunday: 6km easy run to the start of the kent Coastal Half Marathon, 13.1 miles at MP, then 6km back to the car afterwards. Oh, and then fish and chips for lunch on the beach in Margate image

• Johnas- That's the one, I got a load from work and about 10 of us worn them for the Manchester marathon, we got some funny looks but they are perfect to wear once you have handed in your bag.

6 mile recovery tonight with a 20 miler in the morning at 7.30 pace and a well earned rest day on Sunday.

• Can I ask for a smidge of advice? I'm running the Kenilworth half on Sunday and am wondering what pace I should aim to go at. It's an undulating course apparently, I've not run it before. I'm thinking I should probably be aiming for marathon pace though there's a little bit of me that's tempted to see how much my fitness has come on recently and really go for it. Foolish?

• Hellsbells-  I normally turn it into a long run, a couple of nice warm up miles before the race then add a few cool down miles at the finish

If it's only a warm up race for Berlin I'd run it at your target pace

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Hellsbells - just go for it image - you have plenty of time to recover - once we all cross that start line instinct to go as fast as poss always takes over. In London this weekend and thinking of somewhere good to do a LSR -heard there is a good course from Greenwich to the Mall i could do - anyone down there run Hyde Park for example, how far is it around the outside of that?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Hellsbells - I have to agree with Jonah. I'd use it as a training run, especially if it's undulating and not a PB course. Train smart - few warm up miles, a good MP session, and then warm down miles.

Andy - check out the Serpentine Running Club's running routes (I think Ally is a member and can advise better). They have a 3 parks loop around Hyde Park etc thats about 7 miles and you could run a few times if not too familiar with London or theres a list of loads of other central london routes up to 20 miles if you're more confident of not getting lost. Click here for list of routes

• Hi folks,been reading all your posts.Just got back to training after nearly 3 weeks out with a bad cut on heel.Trying to pick up training from where I left it,before injury.Any advice?Did a 3:05 in London this year so guess I,ll be in same pen as some of you in Berlin...be good to get in on some of your chats...
  • Thank you very much for the advice, jonah, andy and johnas. Will aim for marathon pace and see how it feels. Good luck to anyone else racing (or exploring new routes) this weekend. And good resting for those nursing injuries.

• Johnas - good luck for the half! I've a tune-up race on my schedule for Saturday but no race to go to so I might just go to the track and do a solo time trial. Sunday is just more LSD. Would be interested to hear how your race goes and how MP feels subjectively to you image

Hellsbells7 - Good luck too. Good advice there; maybe warm-up and try to find your marathon pace/effort and stay there and see how it feels. Treat is as an opportunity to practice nutrition, drinking from cups, race day shoes and clothes etc. best thing to practice in a race like that is how to NOT go out too fast image

Strunner - thanks for the link, very useful!

• Hellsbells7 - I'm running it too.  If you haven't done it before its a very undulating course which basically goes more up than down for the first 6 miles and then more down then up for the next 6 miles - at mile 12 is a hill of horror and even though the last half mile is downhill it won't feel like it!  Definately not a PB course - I ran it last year in 1:26:39 and then did Berlin in 3:00:05 so you may average marathon pace across the whole run but certainly not consistently.  A good general fitness guide but don't get too hung up on running at a consistent pace throughout and definately save something for the mile 12 hill image

• Andrew just intrigued we all talk about injuries a lot but this may be the first cut heel injury i've heard about. What happened?

• Thanks for that baljc. Sounds worse than I was expecting! Will aim for an average of marathon pace then, but more importantly use as an opportunity to practice race routine. Thanks for all the good advice!

• Blockbuster-wearing flip flops in garage and brushed past a metal sheet that I had left over from roof.Cut straight through did,nt feel a thing.had to have it stitched up and then ended up straining calf muscle from limping.Set me back 3 weeks had been training well up till then.Back running this week and gotta get some long runs in to get back on track.bit of a newcomer to these forums so can hopefully get chatting with a few of you.Got an apartment booked in Berlin and flying out on the Thursday....Pen D I think for start going on my time..
  • andyc209 wrote (see)

Hellsbells - just go for it image - you have plenty of time to recover - once we all cross that start line instinct to go as fast as poss always takes over. In London this weekend and thinking of somewhere good to do a LSR -heard there is a good course from Greenwich to the Mall i could do - anyone down there run Hyde Park for example, how far is it around the outside of that?

andyc209 wrote (see)

andyc209 wrote (see)

Head to Regent Park then get on the canal and head west. You can clock up nice flat miles along the canal that way. Alternatively, from Westminster stay on the north bank of the Thames heading East till you hit Limehouse basin, then head north to Victoria Park then West back to Regent Park. Bit more difficult route wise that one but I'll leave it up to you.

• Andyc209 I live in SE London and run the Thames river path from greenwich heading east to the flood barrier and woolwich. its a great route and very easy to follow and for most of it traffice free. if you go the other way into town its a lot of zig zagging around as much of it is not even by the river but still a good route if you know the way. Assume you are staying near Greenwich as you mentioned that as a start point? check out Serpentine website as Johnas suggested it shows the above runs as well as the park runs mentioned.

• So, the physio was great today. I've learnt a lesson or two about stretching. ??35 for 30min session. Hoping, despite the expense, to go for weekly pre-Berlin.

Turns out my PF has been exacerbated by spasm in my calves/gastrocnemius muscles. I've not had physio before but good grief did it hurt. I'm hoping for benefit. I am swimming and cycling only until the GNR. I'm hoping thereafter the marathon will be possible.

Bang goes the good time. Darn it.
  • Iain - glad the physio visit went well.  Don't despair, I'm a big advocate of cross-training as you know!  I managed 3:59 last year on a one-run-a-week schedule.  Maybe not for everyone but it can be done.  I'm hoping my PB hasn't gone awol with my break from running and hoping yours won't too.  All we can hope for is to be injury-free on the big day and put in a big effort.  I know we're similar times, remind me of your target time?

• Strunner - I'd been pipe dreaming of a sub-4hr but my on my last long run I only achieved a 5:44/km pace (for 30k). I therefore think I'm downgrading this year to achieving a PB (my current is 4hrs13m). I did Berlin last year quite unfit in 4hr38 and if I could take 30mins off that and go 4hr8m I'd be really hapy this year.

Actually, I was cross training Thursday - and it made the feet worse! So, I'm trying not to get despondent and headng to the gym to cycle and swim just now...

Agree completely - it's down to hope now! I'm really disappointed at not running tomorrow - even the GNR is in danger but as mentioned above, clearly Berlin must be the focus now. Unfortunately I eat when I'm injured - hoping not to put all the weight back on! Best of luck.

Iain

• 18 miles done, felt awful,  I knew something was not right with my HR being in the high 150's from the start, I had to let the other 2 lads go after 9 miles and crawl back on my own.

I've down a lot of fast miles this week, rest day tomorrow

• Jonah - sounds like you need a day off dude!
  • 18 mile run done in 2hr 54 mins.  Happy with that time and felt fine afterwards, just some PF niggles and ankle soreness.  Yippee, only one more long run to go!

My number is showing on the website and starts with a F.  Does this mean that I am in pen F???  

Iain, when I went to the physio for my PF, he said the same thing.  It is calf and hamstring related.  My calfs were like rocks.  I had to learn to run in a different way as I was a heel striker.  I am having weekly massage too but it works a treat!

• Leisa H wrote (see)

My number is showing on the website and starts with a F.  Does this mean that I am in pen F??? 

No, it means you're Female image

Nice long run, great stuff!

• Stefan - glad we sorted that one out!

Leisa - great running, thanks for advice. It's been getting worse and I'm limping about these days, particularly on stairs. I'm off to up and running to see if they've any advice - it's pretty late to change shoes now...

• Thanks StefanS.  I was going to freak out as it was too fast a pen (I would be flattened by fast runners).  I would like to be in G but suspect that I will be in H, having to dodge everyone for the first hour! image  I have tried emailing them but dont seem to be getting any response.

• Leisa - unless you declared you ran a previous marathon in less than 4:15 then by default they'll put you in H. You can email and ask to change, but I would guess they are overwhelmed with requests at the moment, plus as they've already assigned the numbers (and in all liklihood printed them too) it may be too late for them to do a change. If you don't hear back you can ask at the expo, otherwise I'd just suggest you get to the start early in the morning, try to politely enter zone G or put yourself right at the front of zone H.

I've never run Berlin before but by the looks of it you shouldn't have too much congestion, hopefully.