Options

BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    James - hi, great to see you here. The very best thing I can recommend is that you take a look at the P&D book I recommended on the previous page! Good luck with your training, keeping coming back for lots of motivation and advice.
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcome TD and hi James.

As TD's post, P&D is more or less the industry standrad when it comes to Marathoning. I used it for my first marathon and it helped me achieve my target. Pretty sure with that and popping in here for advice, your target is really quite achievable and realistic

• Options
    thanks Johnas and TD, P&D ordered. I love an acronym me....
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    haha... P&D is just the beginning James....
  • Options
    TD - exciting stuff, I bet the racing was incredible, despite the huge expense!

So, the Advanced Marathoning is now purchased on your advice...

Let's see if P&D can make me a sub-4hr13m runner!

Iain

• Options

P&D... might think about ordering, there was another book I saw  by Richard Nerukar (wrong spelling), which Nell Mcandrew (she of 2.56 in VLM) said she had used. Only going to start training 11 June anyway, after Stockholm.

Last year I really liked my traning plan, it was from a forum, Shades Marathon training, four runsa week wiht one extra optional, I liked having 2 x18 milers, 1 x20 and 1 x22 miler in the programme, made me feel much more confident. She also kept it quite simple, so I basically knew what I would be doing without having to consult the plan all the time - it was a really good first marathon plan, but i'm sure I'll find something similar in the books.

btw has everyone booked flights already?

• Options

I thought that Nell ran VLM in 2:54:39 GR.... I obsessively know that because she beat my PB time in Paris from the week before by 4 seconds! Gutted

Iain - the P&D book is good but unfortunately, we are still liable for having to do the training. 

I've found another Berlin 2012 thread which looks a little bit less active than we are at the moment and have invited them all to hop over and join us.

Very much looking forward to sitting down and developing my training plan for Berlin. I see from this weekend, it will only be 22 weeks until the race!

• Options
    And yes GR, flights are booked. Sleazy Jet for me from BXL.
  • Options

I booked my flights too and accommodation, flights were booked a couple of months ago the accommodation only a couple of weeks ago.

I stay in Berlin for 5 days before flying down to Munich for the beer festival for a couple of days. I fly out of Manchester on the Friday 28th if anyone else is on the same sleazy jet flight?

I have my first marathon this weekend and 3rd ever race! I'm getting excited now!

• Options
    Hi folks permission to jump on the Berlin bus.

I'm booked with flights hotel etc all arranged (hotel Titanic) not sure about name but should be interesting. I was wondering if anyone knows if they have pacers their? I'm hoping for a sub 4 and was thinking of running with them if poss. I've also recently purchased the P&D book as mentioned by others, so hopefully this will further improve the training.
  • Options

Yes, there are pacers in Berlin Slimline chips, running with balloons tied to them. They are very visible from a distance (as i remember seeing some of them grow more distant from me over time)

Quays Runner - what race do you have this weekend. Perhaps the Manchester Marathon maybe?!? Wishing you lots of luck. Do you have a target time in mind? Want any last minute advice.....?

image image

• Options
    I'm in for Berlin, also need to book flights and accommdation but planning on that some time this week. We usually stay in an apartment rather than a hotel, makes breakfast a lot easier for the more cautious (or obsessed) among us who daren't leave it to chance!

P&D is a great book, I've not heard of the one by Richard thingy but I do like books and I do like marathons so I may buy that one image

Good luck with your marathon this weekend Quays runner!

Anyone targetting a specific time I really recommend popping over to the Spring Marathon section, there's loads of threads for different time bands where you can have a bit of banter with others of similar ability image
  • Options

Hi fellow Berliners! Just popping in again as it seems to be gathering pace in here.

Berlin will be my first marathon (and thanks for the tip about  P&D book, I now have that on order), and I have a question for you experienced marathoners. I've seen marathon training plans going from 16 weeks to 24 weeks in length (obv I don't have time for a 24 week plan now!) but I wondered what  the advantages/disadvantages of longer/shorter plans would be?

Currently I was thinking of doing a few more weeks of base training (easy paced miles and getting the mileage up to about 30 miles per week) and then starting a 16 week program with 18 weeks to go. That way I should have a couple of spare weeks to allow for a few bad weeks of training, injury etc... and my wedding in August!

Good luck for your first marathon Quays Runner!

• Options
    re: start pens. they've not been allocated and anyone running a marathon between now and Berlin has until the start of september to submit a time to the organisers
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    wow.. geting busy in here and months til the marathon!

Hellsbells7 wrote (see)

I wondered what  the advantages/disadvantages of longer/shorter plans would be?

Currently I was thinking of doing a few more weeks of base training (easy paced miles and getting the mileage up to about 30 miles per week) and then starting a 16 week program with 18 weeks to go. That way I should have a couple of spare weeks to allow for a few bad weeks of training, injury etc... and my wedding in August!

congrats on the wedding hellsbells - got mine in 3 weeks hence no spring marathon for me! I'd be missing an appendage if I had!

In answer to your question,  this link sums it up nicely

EDIT: How rude of me. Hi to all those forumites that have joined in!

• Options

Thanks for the link Johnas, I do like a nice table image I seem to fit best into the range 8 -20 weeks! So I guess that fits with my current plan!

And congrats on your impending wedding. I signed up for the marathon before I knew I'd be getting married this year, otherwise I possibly would have left my first marathon for another year!

• Options

Well double congratulations in order then to Hellsbells and Jonas. I celebrated my 21st wedding anniversary a few weeks back so you've either been putting it off for a long time or I'm an old git

Hellsbells - my opinion is that if you don't have any  decent structure for your training, then being able to lean on someone else's planning is a good thing. I don't start running on Day 1 of my programmes. There's always a high level of activity in the lead up. I appreciate being able to be a lot more flexible in that period. But when the plan start day arrives, it's like i step up a gear.

That being said, you need to adaptable with your programe and fit the more important stuff of life in. Unless running really is the only thing you have going on in life but if that were true, I doubt you'd be here.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Yeah I agree, your current plan seems fine. I'm not planning on starting my marathon specfic training until I return from honeymoon in mid June. Currently running between 25 - 30 miles per week but lots of threshold running as looking to build speed. Longest run at the moment is only about 8/9 miles (i run by time not distance).

• Options
    Thanks people and yes its the Manchester marathon! Just did my last run before the big day. I've only averaged 27 miles a week with a peak week of 39 miles but aiming for 3.59.59 but secretly hoping for under 3.52. I went from no running to this and have lost a stone along the way. I'm on the big side for running tipping the scales over 16 stone still.

I ordered the P and D book last week and would hope my body can hold up to more mileage for Berlin and I can break 3.45 image first let's get the weekend out of the way! I need to think about some races over the summer to fit in with the training programme, any ideas?

I popped down London at the weekend and watched the marathon, if Berlin is anything like that in terms of support it will be mega!

Finally I will be staying in Hotel Hackersch Markt and it actually might be Lufthansa I'm flying by
  • Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Hello, I was a member of the other thread. Is this now to be the official one?
  • Options

Did London at the weekend, got Manchester on Sunday then I can fully focus on Berlin.

• Options
    Flights booked - I live in Newcastle and it's great to have KLM operating locally.

I've booked the Casa Camper hotel but may plan for a cheaper place...

Have been asked to be Groomsman at one of my best mate's wedding later this year. Ominously his fiancee asked me yesterday when the Berlin marathon is going to be... I'll be a little (ungraciously) annoyed if it's the same weekend...!

Official thread?? It is now!
  • Options
    NIce to see so many people here. Not sure still with me whether will do it but hopeful, let's say. I haven't filled a cancellation form just as yet. Reducation to forefoot landing has been far trickier than I expected. But I am getting there, I'm not a quitter. So may see you after all in Berlin, NO flights or hotels booked yet.
  • Options
    Keyboard_Worrier wrote (see)
    Hello, I was a member of the other thread. Is this now to be the official one?

It is now you are here Keyboard Worrier! image

So Jonah, let me get this right, you are running marathons on back to back weekends? I ran Paris and London two weeks apart in 2010 - I really fell apart in London. I PB'd in Paris which was nice and managed the same pace in London until about half way and then just completely unravelled! I walked 27x in the second half and yet it still counts as my most enjoyable marathon experience ever. Wishing you lots of fun and that the grit comes easy to you.

Am fully intending to pick up a GFA place for 2013. Nell McAndrew is a hunted woman.... for my own stupid pride (ignorance?!), I feel I can run faster than a strip girl, so need to claw more than 4 seconds back

It's great to see people here from threads and maras in year gone by....  Good luck with all that propreoception stuff Acdcgirl.

• Options

TD- I ran 2.50.27 at London but have no intention of trying to copy that at Manchester, I might try and sneak a cheeky sub 3 though.

I passed Nell Mcandrew just before half way on Sunday, I couldn't believe how skinny she was.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

back to back marathons is instanity! cracking time at VLM though jonah (i can see our names confusing people here quite quickly). I'm hoping to duck under 2:50 at Berlin so may be tapping you up for advice over the coming months!

Looking forward to running VLM too next year as my Amsterdam 2011 time is GFA for 2013. Am I right in thinking applications for GFA on Monday (30th?)

• Options

Crikey Jonah/ Johnas (how confusing IS THAT?!?!). We might need to be careful putting times on the thread in case people think we are only using the thread for fast talk. I'm wanting to work to a goal between 2h45-2h50 in Berlin, although as i was discussing with Iain the other day, I might have some problems in the knee department that could scupper running for a bit.

I was stood on my left leg in the kitchen this morning and my dog ran past, so i naturally twisted to watch him. And from this, I got a shooting pain in my knee. I'm beginning to think more and more that I may have some slight damage on the Meniscus and that a minor op is the only way out of it. If this is true and I am lucky, I may be able to do a full programme of training before electing for treatment but I have a feeling that might not be possible.

No point panicking about it as I don't get to see the sports doc until 15/5 so until then, I'll try to get back to a normal level of running.

Hi Rosemary - welcome here - will you be running in Berlin again this year?

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    Johnas - what are the good for age times for VLM 2013 - I am 38 and ran a 3:13 in Amsterdam 2011 so think i am just outside. what is the latest race i can run before they close this qualifying, say if i go sub 3:10 in Berlin.
  • Options

Woah! Some of you guys are seriously fast!

I'll be at the other end of the field, hoping for around 4.30. Anyone on here who I'm actually likely to see during the race?!