Options

BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Keisa - agreed. Major moment in the gym early morning before flying out to the Paris Marathon in April this year - iPod died on the treadmill. No time before rushing to the airport.

Thank Goodness for the Apple store, Paris. Was up all night charging and uploading my playlist...!
  • Options

My back is the the verge of going in to lock down again, I missed 7 weeks of training prior to VLM 2011 with a trapped nerve in my back.

I don't want to miss Berlin after all my training, going to get tied in knots later, so hopefully they can snap it back in place. Fingers crossed.

• Options

Wow... is there anyone that had a successful or happy run this weekend (besides ADG & KW? Nice running!)

To all those feeling the twinge - the plus side is it's taper time! The hard work has been done and now it's about getting to the start line fit and healthy. Hopefully that means Jonah, IM, BB, TD and Sazzle (welcome!) get the advice they need if appropriate to get to theat start line ok.

Not sure if I had a shocker of a run or not. Change of plans meant I couldn't marshal so was out the door at 8.30am and already the sun was shining which was fine - had stashed energy drinks around my planned run. 2 hours/16 miles done nice and easy - felt really comfortable even in the heat. Felt good and ready for the next 1 hour section - 60mins at MP (6.30m/m).

30 mins in the wheels fell off - I'd picked a flat stretch to practise MP but it was really exposed. Found myself dodging traffic from one side of the road to the other chasing the shade and in the end, just couldn't keep going. Managed 5 miles in the 30 mins and had to give up. Ran 2 miles home and ended the planned 3 hour run 15 mins early. 23 miles done - 2 miles short of target.

Within 30 mins of being home, had a headache from hell. took plenty of fluids, shoved some food down my neck but spent the remainder of the afternoon throwing up, diziness, migraine, hot and cold sweats. Thankfully feel ok today - no muscle soreness or ill effects of yesterday. can only assume it was sunstroke or dehydration or something - either way not pleasant at all.

• Options

Johnas - sounds like sunstroke.

• Options

Sounds similar to how I felt Johnas - having a headache while running is perhaps a first for me. But I know I didn't suddenly become a weakling overnight and a little bike ride with the dog this morning confirms soreness in my Quads. So I gave it my best this weekend and it will surely make me stronger.

So I think officially then, we have now hit Taper Time image

• Options

It does indeed TD.

Just heard back from coach and he's agrees it was complete heat exhaustion - I should of upped the frequency of taking on fluids but it's so hard when running for that distance and on your own - i dont like carrying drinks bottles or using those belts.

On a plus side, he under estimated my current fitness level and as such, didn't expect me to run the distance i did in the time scheduled. He said it's my own fault for being in such good shape (tongue firmly in cheek of course)! May have to adjust my MP target slightly though - not sure a sub 2:50 is possible unless conditions on the day are absolutely perfect; 2.52ish is looking more likely I feel.

• Options

Johnas - sorry to hear about that but better to learn to recognise the symptoms of heat stroke/exhaustion now rather than on raceday.  Given Berlin was quite warm last year it may prove to be a blessing to have the experience under your belt so you know if you need to adapt hydration/fuelling strategy on the day.

• Options

I am doing the Berlin Marathon this year in Sep but I've dropped a clanger with my flight booking/bib collection. Basically flight lands at 6pm on Sat, expo shuts at 6pm on Sat.

I've contacted the organisers who have confirmed that someone could collect it on my behalf. What I'm wondering is if there's anyone out there who is going down to collect their bib and might do a good deed and pick up mine?

I'm staying in Potsdammer Platz but am happy to travel anywhere to pick it up and there will be a handsome reward!!!

• Options

Johnas it was really hot on Sunday so must have been a bit of sun stroke, even with adeqaute drinks etc you either ditch running or slow right down but as it was maybe 28 degrees at some point that is not running weather, that is...ice cream time!!

however i did get in a 20 miler in 3 hours on Sunday to bring my week in at 50 miles which for a target time of anything under 4 hours means i am where i need to be apart from the PF issue 9which is still there but i'm managing it). I got up early, carbed, drank lots and was out for 7-30am even the the last 5 miles felt very hot but i maintained my pace through that and was tired but normal tired. I always run long with drinks belt and i think that helps to sip as you go alonmg. however id did have to buy a banana and two bottles of water at 14 miles and drank 500ml in one hit...

Berlin when i first ran it in 2009 it was baking hot about 25 degrees and was hard work, in 2010 it rained and rained. who knows what in store but could be a hot one on the day. If it is then although none of us want to hear it, the only real option is amend your race plan to allow for the heat...slow down, and try and find the shade, make sure you are well hyrrated in the 3-4 days before the race.

Leisha I really want a team gb running top is the kit good quality?

IM2 I have to run with music I use a Nano and i always do palylists for the races, part of race prep - get kit ready, passport...playlist. Very much into ben Howard and Maccabees at moment but not the most upbeat music for running ...more likely to make you stop and sit down!

• Options

Kieran Alger 2 - I'm staying at Potsdamer Platz too so happy to help. 

• Options

Afternoon everyone.

I am thinking of running this next year.  What is the entry system like? Specifically, do you need to be quick off the mark to get in, or does it take a few weeks / months to fill up?

Would be good to know if a plan of attack is required before entry opens!

Thanks and good luck to you all for this year's race.

• Options
    Hello fellow Berliners. Been lurking and time to post. This is my 3rd Berlin in 3 years and hoping to break 3:30... Have done long runs of 18:20:20:22:18 over the past 5 weeks and now taper time is upon us. Do far 11 weeks of 35-48 miles per week and for the first time injury free.

Always find the taper difficult - letting legs recover whilst finishing mid week tempo and pick up runs with intervals.

Really difficult to know where my training has me - did 12 at 8.30 ish then 6 at 7.40 so 7.40 is my target. Even very small increases in pace from 8.15 to 7.30 increases my heart rate from 145 to 165.... Was at 171 by the end of my 22 mile run when coming back at 7.30 over the last 4 miles.

Regardless I'm hoping to break first 3.36(2010 PB) then 3.30 then ? 3:25???

Am I being ridiculous? I think I'm in better shape, still only 39. If however I ran in under 3:50 I'll still be over the moon! will hide a wee shuffle in my shorts.

I'll take gels and avoid drinking at every station as in past races by stopping and starting and drinking too much I've lost minutes having a pee!

There are some great runners on here.

How is everyone else tapering - my aim is to reduce all runs by 40% and do 12LSR this week then 14 the following week. GNR would be perfect but I'm working
  • Options

Hi Pixie you are the voice of experience as far as Berlin is concerned!

What were your previous times? It seems to me like you have a very solid bank of long runs in your locker so there is no reason at all not to PB. Doing the long runs really improved my PB from 3:20 down to 3:13 and then 3:07. The runs over the 22 mile mark made the figure of 26 seem a little less daunting.

Are we going to receive any more information from the organisers or do we have all we are getting. As you may guess I am a natural worrier and I would like idiot proof directions of how to get to the expo from the city centre. Ideally I would like a bilingual guide supplied by the organisers to lead my by the nose there but in the absence of that can anyone let me know the best way to get there.

Cheers

• Options
    Marathon runs 3.36-3.52 over past 2 years - but training usually 8-10 weeks at most and last 3:52 done with no runs over the last 8 weeks as I'd ripped my right Qaud which was deeply depressing. I ran naked - ie no watch.

It's very easy to get to templehof! Follow the crowds - cant remember the metro stop but it's really easy
  • Options
    Artie Fufkin, Polymer Records wrote (see)

Afternoon everyone.

I am thinking of running this next year.  What is the entry system like? Specifically, do you need to be quick off the mark to get in, or does it take a few weeks / months to fill up?

Artie - love the tunes your label is pumping out! Berlin mara is easy and civilised to get into. I think it takes a couple of months for places to fill up and when they are gone, they are gone. That's all there is to it.

Pixiesfan - don't worry about where your HR ends up on a hot day. Towards the end of a long run as your hydration balance changes, so you are likely to end up with a non-linear heart rate - in other words, the HR goes up much more quickly than your running speed changes - effectively, it doesn't correlate with what you are used to. So just ignore that data. Whenever you get glycogen depletion you will find that you need a higher HR to maintain the same speed, or what normally happens is that you keep the HR more or less the same but the speed starts to bleed away.

My plan for this weekend is to do a 135km sportive ride which should be the equivalent (at least) of running a marathon, then if I can, to do a HM as well (on a different day). I figure that my relatively low training intensity means i can afford one more hard weekend before starting to pull back the effort, plus, I have done very little impact exercise so micro-injuries needing healing will be much less than normal.

Am I the only one starting to get a bit excited about this race? image

• Options

A little more scared than excited right now... image

• Options

KW - I wouldn't expect more than we currently have.  The underground (U-Bahn) is a dream.  If you go on the website it has a journey planner where if you input your start station and end (Platz der Luftbrucke) it'll churn out your route and the time it will take you - it will be reliable and on time too!  http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17103/name/Underground.html

• Options

Cheers baljk THat is exactly the type of help I needed.

• Options
    After Scott's run last year has to be an attractive option for anyone hunting qualifying times.
  • Options
    sounds like everybody getting a little bit excited/nervous as the big day gets closer.On a personal note,1st time in Berlin,last 2 marathons London and New York3.05 and 3.07 respectively.Foot injury a month ago has interrupted the plan,so bit short on the 20milers.hoping to be ok,no real target,initially somewhere near the 3hour mark was the goal.just gonna go out and enjoy it and see wot happens on the day.Hopefully bump into a few of the posters on here aswell.....
  • Options

BB - The Team GB kit for women is great.  The fabric is some of the best kit I've had.  Don't know about the men's kit.

Johnas - glad to hear you have recovered from your run.  That happened to me once after only an 11 miler (but I run alot slower than you).  Lessons to be learnt.  Plant more water or carry some.

Did some interval training today and my legs did not want to function properly.  They were protesting from my 20 miler on Friday, either that or it was the weekend's food intake of KFC and curry and chips! Got to get my diet sorted out fast! image

• Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a lsr this Sunday same as yesterday's. Yesterday had too much wrong; no carbs the night before, stayed up drinking beer till 3am, ran past a field with a farmer cutting up his crop and I ended up at the side of the road choking with some of the stuff in my throat, high winds, rain. I'll be doing nothing at all the week leading up to the race, chance of me getting out even for a quick couple of 3 or 4 milers is slim.

• Options
    TD - any prospective trip to Berlin excites me! This year, had I been injury free, I wouldn't be able to sleep!

Artie - love the moniker. Applications open 3-4 weeks after the marathon. It's a great run.
  • Options
    ADG - drinking beer pre-LSR... You rock dude!
  • Options

Wow.. busy on here this afternoon. Hello to all the new comers - please do 'get involved'.

Great link Baljc - thanks for that. It's already come in very handy!

• Options

KW - Don't want to worry you, but U6 is closed between Friedrichstrasse and Franzosische Strasse which may add 5 minutes walk to journeys from North of the river.

Living in Scotland, we haven't had any of heat 'problems' this summer.

• Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

I would be more worried if I didn't feel fatigued and beaten up at this stage in a normal marathon training programme.

Best words I've read all day -- what a relief, very reassuring!

Johnas - tough going on the long run and heat exhaustion. That kind of run though I think is tough even in the best of conditions. Brutal. By the way I'm also thinking that for me 2:52 may be a safer (and more reasonable) target than 2:49... No doubt I will change my mind about 20 times between now and race day as I randomly flip from feeling lean and invincible to fat and slow during the taper!

Starting to get excited!

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Hi All.

last post was on Friday and that is now three pages back. What is going on? You would think there was a marathon in a few weeks or so? SH*T there is!

I was at Lady GAGA on Saturday night, stood for 6 hours as was trying to be hip and mosh it with the kids at the front. Drank too many beers and got home at 1am. Set the alarm for 5:45, which I obeyed, and went for a 20 mile run. 1.5L of water and 6 SIS gels later and I was home in 2h:53m.Ummmmmm.

One more 20 miler for me this Sunday, (No pre beers and concert), then 2 week taper starts for me next week. 

Anyway some good and bad news this weekend it seems. Lost of tired legs, suffering from the heat etc etc. I agree with previous posts listen to your body. When it says its knackered....... its knackered........ it needs rest. Two days off will not effect your fitness, but you will feel better.

KW: Easy to find using the UBAHN and as someone else said, just follow the crowds when you get the to respective stop, can't remember what its called but it is dead simple to find.

AFPR: Entry is simple, first come first served. Pay your dosh and your in. It was so long ago I can't remember when entries opened. There is a tier structure, first x at one price then it goes up until its full. It takes a few weeks to fill up if I remember correctly.

Have a good week all!

• Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭

it hit 25 degrees during the Great Scottish Run, that's hot isn't it?

• Options

Baljc: That's very much appreciated. I was starting to panic a bit. Want to drop me a line on alger.kieran@gmail.com?