BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Hey Andy... Good to see you here after the Amsterdam thread last year.

You've just missed out on GFA  which is 3:10 (18 - 40 category). Last year you needed to submit evidence of your GFA time by mid July 2011 so I should imagine the same rules apply this year. That gives you about 6 weeks to dip under that 3:10 marker (assuming they don't change it too much like they have at Boston!)

TD - didn't mean to scare anyone off but t reassuring for me to see that a few of us are potentially looking at around the same time. Going to look forward to trading training stories with you assuming that knee injury of yours doesn't amount to much afterall. Best get to a Physio asap

• Johnas-  I did 2.49.59 at VLM in 2010, going to try that again at Berlin a 1sec pb would do,

TD- Sorry that's the last time I mention times.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    Hi Johnas - great race last year in Amsterdam, will miss it this year - if i did a sub 3:10 in Milton Keynes at the weekend (highly unlikely given its given out strong winds) would this get me in for deffo or is it still a bit of a lottery on the GFA, i.e they have 100 GFA places and the fastest 100 get in?

Yeh really unhappy with Boston as i think i would have qualified this year with my time image
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Andy - not sure how it works regarding numbers and the selection process.

All I know is you submit the evidence of your GFA time by the deadline and then "your application will be reviewed by our panel and if it's accepted we'll send you a good for age entry form. The completed entry form will need to be returned to us by TBC (July 2012)

Seems perfectly reasonable that should you run sub 3:10 at MK you're in with a shot

• There's no reason to think that GFA is anything other than certain once they've legitimised your credentials. So if you do the time & can prove it, count yourself in

Jonas. Yes talking about training is a deffo. Am seeing a sorts fox at a University Hospital sports lab in a couple of weeks when doing a VO2Max test which I do each year.

Hellsbells, don't worry about it. We've all got marathon running in common. Some of us have been running longer than others or can devote more timed to training or are even more obsessive than the norm for runners. But I guess we're all a bit crazy anyway. Still I think we make a good club image
  • Hellsbells, don't worry, I'm definitely not up there with the VO2 max testing and sub 3 - although I have huge admiration for those illustrious souls! One day.... and of course once my book arrives (I got the advanced marathoning one you all recommended, thanks!), I will be talking training plans. Target for Stockholm is 3.45, target for Berlin is 3.35.

Current training... went on a club run yesterday, 7 miles, 8.10 pace, felt good. Today I'm meant to be doing 8 x 800 metres followed by 4 x 400 metres, but have no idea when as I have work coming out of my ears...

and just to make things hard for myself, I let someone talk me into running 800 metres in a track&field event on Saturday. So I've decided to jog to the park (5 miles), do the run, then run home again with a detour around another park, so altogether 13 miles. Still not long enough though. hm.

• Aw, thanks for the nice words. This should be a good place for expert advice, which is great for me! I like to think I'm still on the upward slope of my running career...

• Hellsbells7 wrote (see)

Aw, thanks for the nice words. This should be a good place for expert advice, which is great for me! I like to think I'm still on the upward slope of my running career...

Me too.... image
  • image A few speedy ones on here!

Flights booked, just need to sort out somewhere to sleep.

Andy I've never had any bother getting a GFA place in VLM, I don't think they have an entry limit they just seem to change the qualifying times every few years to reflect the number of runners getting in via GFA.  Still best to get your entry in the post early though, I think it was around July last year that the race office had to have a copy of your results by.  So it'll have to be a sub-3:10 Spring marathon if you want to run London in 2013. They then send you an entry form which you return with a cheque, again this has to be in by a certain date. They then draw the ballot for however many dozen places remain that haven't been flogged to a charity for the price of a second hand car.

Hellsbells I'm not a particularly speedy runner image

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Me three image

Hellsbells, I only started running at 37 and have seen pleasing year on year improvements in my running times. It's like I am not really getting older at all. (Technically I am now 40 but I refuse to give in to the ageing process).

As I said on the now defunct Berlin thread, wife and children will not be coming on this trip as it's term time so if people want to meet and say hi over a coffee, beer or sports drink please don't be shy. Having been a member of the Barcelona 2011 and a couple of Amsterdam marathon threads some of us have managed to meet up for a post race celebration and it has been great. (although a little awkward at first explaining your pseudonym)
  • Aiming at 4 hours for Sunday then maybe break 3.45 in Berlin, no idea if this is a silly notion but I've only started running really in January so anthing is possible right?

Berlin will be my second and final marathon I would think, unless I get the bug which I doubt, its hard having a life with 3 hour weekend runs and the tiredness that joins it
  • But having a fabulous body which is capable of enduring all the stresses and strains that life throws at it is a bit of a plus though Quays Runner?!

KW - fully agree. One of the fun parts of 'threading' is meeting internet strangers and finding out that very few of them are in fact axe-murderers but really pleasant people. Company in strange cities is good too.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I'm an axe murderer, but I'm not a fan of busman's holidays, so you should all be fine.

• Quays Runner- I have said on numerous occasions after a marathon "never again", but like a famous line from the Godfather, "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in". I "retired" from marathon running after Berlin last year, but signed up for this year about 4 weeks later and as Tricky says about all the health benefits running brings.

Tricky- Wish I was fast enough to keep up with Nell McAndrew, think looking at her rear would distract me from the pain of running 

• Hellsbells - I've just done 4hr29m30s in Paris (PB 4hr13m) so no speed here!

Looking to crack 4hr15m in Berlin, or at least beat my effort in 2011.

KW - caught up with the Paris threaders post-marathon in the pub, had a great time, really added to the experience.

Considering NYC marathon if my mate's wedding clashes with Berlin... Looks a tad expensive though.

Iain

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Iain, I have looked at the NYC marathon for the last two years but I am likely to want to go for about 5 days. Again I would be travelling alone because it is in term time. With air fare, hotel with single supplement and race entry I reckon there is not going to be much change from £1500. I love running, I love marathons, I'd love to go to New York but paying that hefty price is difficult to justify for a selfish holiday. One day though. The problem is going to arise that this year I will have done London and Berlin that is 3 out of the 5 majors. All the rest are Stateside. Ouch!
  • Iain, KW. Am really sorry to say but the hype for NY mara massively exceeds the actual experience. Did it last Nov and pretty much hated everything about it with the exception that the week beforehand being a tourist was rather good. But as for the race, utterly forgettable with unpleasant logistics and poor organisation when it really mattered to me.

Berlin is altogether better!
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    KW i am in the same boat, looking to do all the majors and NY is deffo on the list for 2013, just trying to justify the cost with a missus and two kids who also want to come image
  • I ran New York in 2010 and was slightly disappointed with the race logistics, getting to Staten Island hours before the race and then trying to keep warm in a cramped tent.Then at the end waiting ages for your bag

The course is a lot hillier than expected and the crowds were a bit subdued until Manhattan.

But the place itself is fantastic.

I'm hopefully doing Boston next year, opens early September for entrants.

Doing Manchester on Sunday but the weathers loooking pretty miserable.

• Andy- I forgot to say it cost me around £500 for the trip, we flew to Philadelphia then onto New York and got a cheap hotel near Grenwich village which is handy for the Staten Island ferry.
  • TD - good points, Berlin is my favourite city and I loved the marathon atmosphere and organisation last year but there's something about NYC for me. And I know I've not done London...

KW - I'd reckon NYC wouldn't give much change out of £1500 too! May have to leave it for next year but may be forced to if can't partake in Berlin. Philadelphia is an alternative too - great town, November marathon too, excellent accommodation choices for much less than NYC!
  • I will keep up with running maybe not marathons though!

I clearly mist be nervous about Sunday, I keep waking up wide awake really early. 5 hours sleep a day is fine right for about the last week?
  • QR - they're an effort but all part of it.

I slept hardly at all the week before Paris. Nothing you can do but take it easy today - catnap this afternoon?

Good luck.

Iain
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

awake early for me to this morning so what else to do besides going out and have an early morning session...

Approx. 45 min run made up of: 10 min warm up, 4 sets x 5mins @ threshold with 2min recovery, 10 min cool down.

Good luck to all those running either Manchester or MK tomorrow. Completely justified reason to rest easy all day and carb load!

• Cheers guys, halves after this, tomorrow is the great unknown! Awesome times go be had, I'm looking forward to that beer right after I finish image
  • Good luck in Manchester QR!
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    running MK and the weather looks shocking - heavy rain and severe winds - no PB's just hoping to get round - anything under 3:30 and i will be chuffed!!!
  • Hi all- a complete stranger here. Injury-imposed DNS for Berlin last year(sorry not an inspiring opening intro). Entered again this year, hope to stay injury-free and stick around this thread until the fat lady sings. Just a middle-of the-pack runner at best on either side of 4hours. Looking forward for fun and learning from good company here. OK for now, more later I'm sure.  
  • Welcome to the thread Assee, get stuck in. Are you in good health right now?

14 miles for me this morning, first longish run since Paris two weeks ago. Wow, it's easy to lose fitness!

• Tricky- my first sessions after doing London & Berlin last year were both struggles but the next session was the complete opposite. You'll still have a good level of fitness after your last marathon and Berlin will be a breeze for you.

How did the Manchester and MK guys get on today. Hope it went well