BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Congratulations everybody!  Sounds like you all had a great time - and some stonking times there!

• OMG! I can't move properly! My legs have been beaten up! Couldn't sleep all night. Hope this feeling won't last too long. Would it be good to do stretches / yoga today?

Well done to everyone. Such amazing times on here!
  • Has anyone checked out their marathon photos yet? (Marathonfoto.com)

The first few are starting to be uploaded and presumably more will show up through the day.

I also paid the 10euros on the Berlin Marathon website for my marathon video package - don't have high hopes of it being much good but ill let you know. It should be ready by 4pm today.
  • i'm checking in with a shiny new PB of 3:06 (7m under old one) which gets my GFA for London and Boston and it still feels like there is more in the tank - just one bad bit around 33-37km but got a second wind.
    Great city and fantastic atmosphere - really loved the course and i can see why it is a WR course, just felt like i was flying around it. Deffo doing it again next year - when does registration open image

Well done to eveyone, it seems most had good runs and many with nice PB's to show for it.

• No PB but great weekend.Good at half way and 2.20 at 20 miles finished with a 3.19 and very sore hamstrings.Well done to all of you some great times an PB's.Will be back here for sure.great City....
  • Well done everyone, got myself a PB. loved the city and the race was fantastic, even the last 4 miles when i was hurting and my pace was decling!

thmb2000 i'm interested in getting the video, do you order it on the merchandise link or elsewhere?

• andyc209 I was 3:06 too!

• 3.09.03 - very happy. Too tired to try to work out where the pub was! Off to checkpoint Charlie etc... well done all. Some great times there 

• TL73 - it's on the results page. Alongside all your splits is a film reel icon.
  • thmb2000 gotcha, didn't even look at the results! Got it now, thanks!image

• Well done, everybody seems happy with their times.

Johnas- Fantastic running, you looked really strong but to be honest I thought you were cutting it fine, next one you'll smash 2.45 well done again.

Well that's me signing off and hopefully our paths will cross again.

• It's something of a moot point now, but having accessed the results system, it seems there WAS a very extensive online tracking system that family and friends could have accessed! Very poorly publicised. Click on the 'Tracking & Replay' tab to see for yourself.

• did anyone else have problems with the SMS service fro tracking runners - registered three phones and no-one got any messages? DOMS are beginning to set in now sitting at a desk in work although it was painful getting out of a car after a three hour drive from Heathrow airport last night.

Was going to do NYC next year but that is deffo going on the back burner - want to do Berlin again to get those 6m off my time and get under 3hrs,from what i have heard NYC is not the place to go for a time. 1 year to prepare - training starts tomorrow - maybe!

BTW - got my expected rejection for London when i got home, still happy days Berlin was better image

• Andy - no tracking/results texts for me either. Due to UK numbers maybe?

Looking forward to seeing how bad my photos are.

Stay cool and happy recoveries, everyone.

Iain
  • berlin is confirmed as the record setting course looking at the times above. I am in so much pain i got home 9pm last night after an awful flight (felt like i was going to puke and crap my pants...) train (freezing to death and with the shakes) home (cold shoulder from the wife she thought i was home at 6...so no dinner). Up at 6 this morning (my job to get the kids out, had to sort my sons uniform for his schoold cadet force, bloody sharp creases etc or you get a bollocking), where is the glory for the return of the conquering hero? And everyone in the office taking the piss whenever i hobble around. But i have my medal and my finisher certificate, i can suffer the slings and arrows. Moving on to a 3-45 Brighton 2013 then Amsterdam 2013 (could i get 3-30?). And to those hardcore runners i salute your jaermeister session, i had trouble with my small choc milkshake!

• BB - know that feeling well, after a few hours sleep was up again sorting out the kids for school, ironing uniform and trying to get up and down stairs with breakfast etc.

Just emailed the hotel i stayed at this weekend about next year and they say there is a 'Bi Exhibition' in Berlin the week of the marathon so hotels are going to be really limited, prices are already inflated. 

Just looked at my splits and bar that 5km between 30k and 35k it seemed pretty steady so the problems of years gone by of dying in the second half seems to be a distant memory, i just need to be able to maintain it a little longer into a race but its nearly there....i think a proper training plan will deffo happen, set of with best intentions of following a plan this time but it all went to pot rather quickly with family commitments. 

• Fantastic day, Personal best by 50mins. finished in 3:59:10.

The 350m to the finish after passing under the Brandenburgh gate was a bit of a supprise though.

• Iain - did you get to talk to anyone about the architecture on the way round? I was mainly looking down for plastic cups and tramlines. It's funny to say, but running faster times there is not so much debris on the road although I found it easier on the bends as there is a bit of shoving and jostling at the faster end. Yesterday I felt it was a bit more civilised - not like people were hungry for shaving fractions off their times/ less cutting up to get the optimal line. Was the cycle tour fun?

Leisa - a couple of days for severe DOMS to get better. Don't take anti-inflammatories for it - they are part of the body's natural defence mechanism. It hurts and this is the signal NOT to exercise and certainly NOT to stretch. Your muscles have millions of micro-tears. Don't make them worse by stretching. Just relax, take a few days off, eat foods with inflammation reducing properties (ginger is good) and keep giving yourselves some mental pats on the back.

BB - sorry for you that you had a tough time on return. I had the inverse leaving the house. A black cloud was over me as I left and happily, a breeze came by in the 24h i was away and I returned to a wife who had a sunny disposition. Much better. However, we all know you are a returning PB hero, so good on you man, well done!

Andy J Walker - so, you didn't hear my advice about the gate huh? Killer. image

Andy C - love your appetite to have another crack at it right away. As I lay their at the end of the race having a massage, I thought to myself, "So why do I think this is a better mara than in New York" and I remembered. After I crossed the finishing line there were lines of people with loudhailers yelling at you to walk and not to stop, bawling you out. And IN Berlin their were two young ladies giving my legs an oily massage. Happy times. Next year I want metal & ribbon round my neck though image

• BB - i always get like that after a race - always wanting to do another one asap - bit like the holiday blues, but i bet many of us get like that. I got though the finish and then quickly made my way around to the crowds to watch my missus and father-in-law come in - stood near the finsih line in my Team GB top and medal around my neck - suddenly there was a camera in my face and they made me show the medal - next thing i realised i was on the big screens - they came back about three times so i made a promise to my kids who where over in the stands with the mother-in-law to Mobot - so yes I was the idiot Mobotting on the big tv screens basking in the glory of my PB image 

• andy you are a media tart, love it!

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Hi All, well done to everyone that got a PB and sorry for those that had a tough time! I got a PB and finished in 3h:46m so very happy with that.

Thanks for all the support and advice over the past few months and I hope some of my advice may have helped some of you yesterday as well.

Cheers!

• Just arrived home minus some of our luggage which is apparently still in Frankfurt.  Well done all on some great times and a number of PBs.

I got a PB of 3:55 which is down by 4 minutes.  Am happy with that even though it's not the sub-3:50 I was initially after - I readjusted my expectations on the course as the day was far too warm for me (I'm not used to running in anything above 10-12 degrees) and I got caught up in really bad congestion for the first 6km which already had me 2 minutes down by that stage.  I think I tried to get back on track too soon after that as well as I managed to pull it back for a 1:54 half marathon (dead on target), but slipped down to a 2 hour second half.

Didn't make it to Georg I'm afraid, wasn't feeling great after the race.  Had a great weekend though and was nice to get a taste of summer after this year's washout.  Only grumbles about the race were the congestion until 6k, congestion at water tables (even if you aimed for the far end), and km signs way too small - you could blink and miss them.  Otherwise I was really impressed with the organisation and the whole weekend away / massive expo / general experience was fantastic.

I'd also like to add my thanks to all who've shared insights and experiences over the past couple of months.  Good luck everyone on your future endeavours and maybe we'll meet on another thread soon.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

I suppose it's all part of the german humour how the lifts to the subways and in hotels were'nt working on Sunday evening, it was quite funny watching all the funny walks as they tried to get down the stairs to the trains...myself included...as for doms, I've still got some but they are easing, seen a few runners about in Berlin today, are they mad or maybe they didn't run yesterday...a lot of proud finisher t shirts and medal wearers out and about too..

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

btw re stretching/massage after a marathon...don't do it...your muscles are full of tears and need to recover, that's why they're hurting, they are pleading with your brain to do no more... heed the warning or they'll bite back...let them rest and recover, walking only for at least a few days. a lot of advice says two-three weeks off. enjoy your pride image

• Feeling a bit lardy tonight after overdoing the carb loading! Packed, staying at Gatwick tomorrow.I think I might come to the pub too image

• I agree about the KM markers being too small (or non-existent?). Especially in the last 10k, I was counting them down, except they didn't seem to appear on several occasions.

It was also with a wry smile I passed a km marker every now and then, to see it followed 400m later with another, bigger, sponsors checkpoint with the same distance on it. Grrrrr.

I wish I could remember more of it. The video has helped a bit, although for those of you considering paying the fee, isn't amazing. You also have to pay another 10euros for the right to download it - which takes a while to be made available!

Still feels great to think I have finally done a marathon. I start my career-proper next year, so doubt I'll be able to commit fully to training for a little while. I think I'll work the HM and 10km circuit for a bit, building a real good base and a bit of speed.

BTW, even with the benefit of youth on my side, my DOMS is appalling. Getting up and down is disgustingly hard. I also fear that the DOMS is hiding actual injuries in places. Time will tell. I'm off on 4 months travelling around Asia on Thursday. Sightseeing is going to be slow for the first few days I reckon!

• Really not sure why that bloomin lardy message keeps appearing! Anyway. I wrote a blog about my race: http://therunningbug.co.uk/rbblogs/she-runs-she-writes/b/weblog/archive/2012/10/01/how-to-run-a-personal-best-berlin-marathon-2012.aspx

And did anyone measure long, here's my Garmin read out (as I said in blog - may have just been all the weaving around. should have stuck to the blue line). http://connect.garmin.com/activity/229053327

• Blockbuster wrote (see)

andy you are a media tart, love it!

+1

Sherunsshewrites - you can pretty much ignore your Garmin read out. They only claim +/- 2% accuracy. So you could run the blue line for the perfect distance and still find yourself to be 845m out on distance - your watch showed 822m additional. Don't worry about it. There is no perfect line because you always have herds of runners to negotiate on race day. They are part of the course. Nice blog btw.

So who has booked up the next mara already or at least started planning for it? image

Well done on your PB strunner!

• TD.. I know not really worried, but just interesting. I agree, in a marathon that size, the fact the thing works is pretty amagazing. Still, I'm a geek and like my stats ; ) thanks re: blog...

Next marathon for me, London, championship start (but going to jog Beachy Head at the end of the month, too)...

• TD - the architecture discussion was mainly an internal dialogue! I recognised a few areas from the 'Berlin Wall' cycle tour I did after last year that dealt with the (pretty awful) DDR architecture. Such an incredible city.

I am no speed merchant, obviously, but I loved the atmosphere on the run - where I was, way behind you the water stations were littered of course but I didn't find it a huge problem. Sticky feet after the powerbar drink stations though! 

I did the Fat Tire Bike Tour all-dayer (they leave from Alexanderpaltz, under the Fersehturm) yesterday which was cool - even if I had to leave at 3pm 'lunchbreak' to make sure I made my plane. I plan to do the same next year - going to head out a couple of days early and make the breakfast run on the Saturday too. 

Unfortunately you, and the others who left on the Sunday have missed seeing their name on print in the Berliner Morgenpost. Nice spread. I do rather need to learn some German before next year however!

I'm taking a full week off running this time - there was nothing 'Delayed' about my DOMS! - and only doing one marathon next year, whch will be Berlin. Going to work on speed and a half marathon PB in spring/summer and possibly give sprint-tri a go.

Once again many thanks for your advice and I look forward to seeing you next year.