BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• SRSW - My garmin also measured 26.71 miles.  I stupidly followed the pace on that thinking I probably had a sub 4 but actually had 4:00:18.

Iain - My DOMS were immediate and still ongoing.  Trying to get out of bed in the middle of the night to get to loo is no fun.

Love hearing about everyones stories when they get home with partners and DOMS.  Makes it seem that even those who are superfast are actually human too. image

Next marathon for me will be London.  I want to train for 3:45 with a view to doing sub 3:55 if possible.  I have already started looking at training plans and cant decide between doing what I did for Berlin & just upping the pace & mileage or to go for a P&D 55 mpw plan.  There doesn't seem to be much speed training or MP long runs.  Anyone have any advice or good improvement stories using that plan?  It does mean I only have 2 months off before I start again. image

Thmb200 - Good luck with Asia.  So jealous.  Your going to LOVE it.  Get lots of massages in Thailand, eat tons in Malaysia, shop in Hong Kong.

• got a pb of 3:57. Garmin said 26.6 so thought I was doing better until I realised something was wrong about mile 24. Ended up having to 'sprint' down the finish to make sure I pb'd and came very close to throwing up in front of thousands of berliners - not good. Still in berlin - been pissed since sunday. Taking a month off then start all over again for 2013 - edinburgh and amsterdam - and hopefully keep chipping away at my time.
  • a few people said they measured long on their Garmins at the finish but i trust that blue line.

Was not aiming to be a media tart but it was too good to miss - besides the kids are still talking about it image DOMS are just about gone now, doing a gentle 2 miler tonight with the youngest at her running club. Brighton in the calendar and Berlin will be once registration is open.

• My Micoach on my iPhone measured over 27miles. I knew not to rely on it though and had my pace wristbands as a low-tech reference. I think it had a little glitch with about 4 miles to go when it said I had run a 6-something minute mile! I most definitely handy!
  • Am loving catching up with everyone's stories - congratulations!

Delighted with my time of 4h32m51s which is a PB as it was my first marathon! I'd hoped I might get under 4h30 but with crowds and a loo stop I was outside that by halfway, so just wanted to enjoy it. And I actually managed to do a faster 2nd half, with the last 10k being my fastest.

Some amazing times from all of you - Leisa H, I'm especially impressed by your PB of over 40min - wow! Would like to emulate that next time... perhaps unlikely though.

• just booked hotel for next year image Sub 3 here we come - 12 months of training ahead to find 6 minutes image.

• Just got my official time for Sundays race. 3:47:59, 1 minute and 45 seconds slower than the pbthat I set at Berlin last year. Think with the watch going on the blink so early in the race I had no real idea of my pace or where I was in terms of a pb. Not that I'm making this as an excuse as I think not doing as well with the long runs also had a bearing. Having found out that I was at half way in 1:45, having the watch in working order might have prompted me to push a little harder.

Had an enjoyable few beers with Iain Moore after that race on Sunday night, we were disappointed that we didn't meet the rest of the guys in the pub.

DOMS has got worse today. Weekend starting to catch up on me, really struggled to get up when my 3 year old daughter came through to my room to wake me up at 8am this morning, didn't even hear the wife going to her work I was that out of it.

Well done to all who pb'd and all those who completed the race. Think Tricky Dicky will comeback stronger than ever for a spring marathon, takes a lot to even contemplate doing a marathon after knee surgery.

Definitely running Berlin next year. Entry opens on October 25th. Game plan for next year, more milage and longer runs.

• i've just been caught asleep at my desk at work image

Now its really catching up on me - no pain but terrible tiredness.
    I used one of those pace tatoos this time and it really helped with the pace, much easier than the irritating pace bands.

thinking of trying those calf compression guards in training this winter,saw them at the expo and many people wearing them at the race - does anyone use them and do they work. Saw the CompressSport ones and they looked and felt really good.

• I'm tired and have got the apetite of an army. Breakfast, lunch, snickers and I've got stuck into my toblerone! 

• Oh and calf guards yes, I use them and compression socks, recovery trousers etc.. love em - not sure how much science there really is, but they do feel good

• sounds good - a quick shopping trip this weekend may be called for - if they give me trouble free training it will be worth it as most of the time my problems are in the calf area. Just had a chicken, yorkshire pudding, gravy and onion baguette - but i am still hungry too.

• Hi, can anyone who has run this year reccomend a hotel that is VERY convenient to the start of the race? Price is not too important, but convenience and ease is everything! Palnning it as my first marathon next year, and dont want to leave anything to chance. thanks a lot.

• Ooh, a roast, now there's a thought - have fun shopping

• My Garmin measured 26.74 but with so many people you can't stick close to the blue race line, good to see so much support from GB flag wavers around the course and it was really good to meet so many of you on the breakfast run, a very different experience on the day before a marathon but it made for a fantastic weekend, well done everyone whatever your finish you still have a medal to take home to be very proud of.
  • sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

Hi

I've been reading this thread for about a week now and getting ideas about next year.

I've always wanted to go to Berlin for a long weekend or something, however I'm now in a position where I could. I've therefore been thinking of combining a short trip with next years marathon. Also, I would like to atleast do one of the five big ones and I didn't get a ballot place in the VLM.

I've got a place in Brighton next year, so Berlin wouldn't be my first marathon if things go to plan.

So, is there any reason why I shouldn't sign up for Berlin as one of my worries is that I haven't got a time and that for some strange reason it just seems more formal to me than VLM does? Also, what's it like getting a hotel out there around that time?

• Nice to meet you too Andrew. I'm aching more today than yesterday and I am constntly grazing on bad food.

• mikeyboy/sleaver - we stayed in the Novotel at Tiergarten which was a short walk back to the start/finish - right outside the zoo. Already booked for next year although as i have said before there is a huge exhibition on apparently in Berlin the week leading up to the marathon so rooms may cost more than this year. 

• Andy, I heard the same tale this year, its a big con to get you to pay up for your hotel now without getting a discount. Berlinn is obviously one of the world's largest capitals, there are thousands of hotel rooms. Don't be fooled.

• just booked for £140 per night which is not too bad but can cancel at any time if they get cheaper. 

• Hi there, this is my first post.

Back from Berlin with a 10 min PB of 3h29m23. Perfect race.

Does anyone know when and where they publish our official photos? Is it suppose to appear when we click on our name in the classification?

Cheers everyone

• andyc209 wrote (see)

just booked for £140 per night which is not too bad but can cancel at any time if they get cheaper. 

Wow, that seems expensive to me Andy, but not all hotel rooms are the same. I can recommend the Motel ONE chain of hotels - smart, modern, clean, friendly and a choice fo 6 hotels in the city. I stayed in Alexanderplatz this time but last year was in the one a bit further west, really over the park where the race starts/ finishes (Bellevue IIRC?). Prices were in the EUR110-130 range inc. breakfast.

I'm sorry for those of you who did your pacing off the Garmins and missed a big record. I'm not being patronising at all, but experienced runners keep repeating this advice time and again - you must understand that those watches are usually +2% overestimating on distance, so the average pace is meaningless after a few hours. You can be 4-5 minutes out on time like this. Still, you only make this mistake once.

Like you Leisa, I've got VLM next. I hope I can have a bit more certainty about training for the next one though as I hate this under-trained feeling i have right now.

• We got an apartment this year.  It was great and only cost 100 Euros a night between 3 of us.  It had a balcony with a view of the TV tower and just generally felt more relaxing than a hotel, especially when you spend a lot of the time pre-race just resting up.

It also meant no worrying about whether the restaurant will serve you enough pasta or whether the hotel will be able to make porridge or not.

Goncalo - a lot of the photos are up already on marathonfoto.com

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Andyc - I wear the compresssport calf socks and swear by them after suffering lower limb injuries. They make a huge difference in my experience. Also, have to agree with TD on Motel One - 84 euros a night for me via booking.com

Still in Berlin at the moment. DOMS has seriously kicked in today - struggling with stairs. Was perfectly fine yesterday and spent the whole day seeing the city by bike. Actually, that might be the reason right there!
  • I reckon your hangover will have disguised yesterday's DOMs. That nurse of yours is a bad influence. (image)

• Hellsbells7 wrote (see)

Some amazing times from all of you - Leisa H, I'm especially impressed by your PB of over 40min - wow! Would like to emulate that next time... perhaps unlikely though. 

Thanks Hellsbells.  I did work hard for it and wonder if that's going to be my limit?

andyc209 wrote (see)

thinking of trying those calf compression guards in training this winter,saw them at the expo and many people wearing them at the race - does anyone use them and do they work. Saw the CompressSport ones and they looked and felt really good.

I've got the 2xu recovery socks which are great and can also be worn during the runs.  However, they are worthless for recovery if I can't get them on due to blood blisters on my toenails. image

mikeyboy405 wrote (see)

Hi, can anyone who has run this year reccomend a hotel that is VERY convenient to the start of the race? Price is not too important, but convenience and ease is everything! Palnning it as my first marathon next year, and dont want to leave anything to chance. thanks a lot.

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt which is probably as close as you can get.  About 1km away.  My husband hired a bike from the hotel and buggied me to the start line and back again.  Perfect!!  However, it comes with a nice price. 

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    andyc209 wrote (see)

Like you Leisa, I've got VLM next. I hope I can have a bit more certainty about training for the next one though as I hate this under-trained feeling i have right now.

Looks like I will be following you like a little duckling into the next forum.  Dont know where it is.  Still have to sort out what training plan to use next.

Johnas wrote (see)

Still in Berlin at the moment. DOMS has seriously kicked in today - struggling with stairs. Was perfectly fine yesterday and spent the whole day seeing the city by bike. Actually, that might be the reason right there!

I spent the Saturday before the race on the bike seeing the city which was a fab way to get around.  Didn't go fast though, of course.  Nice to meet you on Sunday.  Let me know when you are in my neck of the woods again. 

• This is a piece of advice about accommodation I tell everyone.

You really should check out the 'posh' rooms at good hostels. You can get an en suite room, often very stylishly decorated for a fraction of the price of a mid-range hotel. 9/10 the hostel option is far, far nicer as well as being much cheaper. They have the added benefit of often having good bars/swimming pools etc too.

We stayed at Plus Hostel Berlin and it was extremely good. £20 a night.

• thmb2000 Have you seen Hostel! image

• thmb2000 we stayed at the Plus too & it suited us runners too! Good value and close to the U&S bahn so the whole City & Airports are accessible. Pasta Buffet for Marathoners for 8euros. And we found out on the bus tour, near the longest strip of the Berlin Wall that remains!?

• Hey everyone. My brother and I stayed at a great hostel called Sunshine Hose (or something like that) at Innsbruscker platz.

My first marathon; 5:19:41 . Wish I'd trained harder; my longest run was 9 miles and up to 26km I was on track for a 5 hour/sub 5. But then my legs were worn out and I had to do short walk breaks. Can't wait to get the trainers on and get faster!