BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• thmb2000 I just saw that tracking thing too after my parents found it and used it on the day. I don't think it was publicised at all - they only ever talked about the app. Kind of annoying because I caused a lot of friends and family hassle trying to get them to download and navigate that App, when the functionality of that tracker on a browser seems much better! perhaps it wasn't publicised to keep traffic levels manageable?

I measured 43.05km. Seems like we're all about 850m/half a mile over.

• Wow, great to see so many PB's! I still marvel at Johnas' huge negative split. Incredibly strong performance! I'm with Jonah... is 2:45 is on the cards next!

Serious DOMS for me today too, although I notice that it gets slightly less painfull with each race! The whole Berlin experience was just brilliant. Really thinking seriously about signing up for it again next year.

Thinking about the next one, for the spring.... anyone done Barcelona??

• My Garmin registered 26:56 miles, I work on being about 0.3 to 0.4 miles off over a marathon, amazing how you forget that during the race though and I thought I suck pretty close to the blue line.  I was very pleased with a PB of 2:55:03 over 9 mins off my previous PB, over the moon to finally duck under 3hrs, after only taking the odd minute over the last few years.

Have been debating what made the difference, well I followed the Kevin Beck 1999 plan, which in summary gets your body used to fatigue, I also did a lot more race through the summer 5k, 10k, 6 mile, 9 mile, halfs.  I think personally the combination of both helped me.

You can get a hotel pretty late, I booked about 4-5 weeks before and got a good deal.  Will be back again next year.  Love Berlin!!

• Really great meeting some of the posters on this board at the pub. Really bad with names but I know Johnas and Keyboard Worrier and I believe Stefan (Jonah or Davd White 20 ??? sorry) were there along with two of his friends. In any event meeting up with you guys made my disappointment of not breaking 4 hours (4:04:59 beat my PB by ~8 minutes) immediately go away. Reinforces my belief that runners are the greatest people in the world and I really mean that. 

This was my 5th and final Marathon Major and each one stands out for different reasons. I can say that London was my favorite (but worst timewise due to accident with bottle) and New York was my least favorite (too big, logistics, etc). As far as "flat" courses, Berlin and Chicago were very similar with Chicago having much greater fan support and Berlin being the most "fun" of all five. And finally Boston (ran for charity twice and invited by the BAA to run this year) changed my life (story at www.RFME.org if interested)

Great getting to know everyone on this board and hopefully our paths will meet again. If anyone is ever in the Boston area, please let me now and maybe we can do a run together.

Roger

mikeyboy405 wrote (see)

Hi, can anyone who has run this year reccomend a hotel that is VERY convenient to the start of the race? Price is not too important, but convenience and ease is everything! Palnning it as my first marathon next year, and dont want to leave anything to chance. thanks a lot.

I can't recomend www.AirBNB.com enough. I rented a flat right beside Potsdamer Platz (literally 20 meters to the Arkade/shopping center) and it was just about 1 KM to the start which was a great walking warmup. Very modern, bright, full kitchen, 2 balconies, wifi, TV/stereo, etc. Ended up being a total of 79 GBP/night for a week plus no other taxes, etc.Here is a shot of the living room. If interested, let me know and I'll send you contact info for owner. 

/members/images/722060/Gallery/Our_Rental_Flat.jpg

• Totally agree with RFME re: airbnb. Stated at fantastic place in Kreuzberg which really added to my weekend.

My only marathonfoto image available thus far is the one snapped of me with my medal. The Vaseline patches on my chest make it look as if I'm lactating! I may not be wearing that t-shirt next year!
  • Stephan I've done Barcelona. I loved it. The route is interesting there are a couple of slight inclines but nothing to major. It's well organised and Barcelona is a great city. I watched Barcelona play in Camp Nou the night before the marathon. The game did not finish until 10.30pm and I had not eated. Late Suishi restaurant at 11:30 before sleep. PB'd the next morning too.  Then as is seems to be customary I met a few people from the forum in a pub. Peculiarly it was an Irish bar but we had a great time.

• RFME- I'm doing Boston in April so it would be good to go for a run with you, staying at the "Gilded Lily"

• Another thing, has anyone tried ordering their video highlights of the race?

It doesn't have  UK or GB drop down menu or am I being a bit thick.

• Great day in Berlin! I was going to sit this one out on the sidelines, with a sicknote from Matron as i have not run for 3 months with terrible ITBS, but went for a 4.5 mile jog the weekend before and was relatively OK, so i thought what the hell - go for it.

Well I did and managed an Ok 3:50 under the circumstances, but crashed at mile 23 and struggles with no training. But great day and best mararthon i have done (not hard as only ever done 1 before) - but paying for it now with bad DOMS!!!

but I am about to book up Rome for next year!!! - I just dont learn.

Oh and my Garmin also measured 26.65 even though i thought i was taking the short line! always been spot on in previous races. - No SMS time received either.

• Paul - as TD has mentioned before, our Garmins have a statistical error inbuilt of 2-3% - but I must say I always feel a little cheated during a marathon, when I'm checking Garmin distance vs the km markers...

Toffeeliz - that's quite an effort but frankly I'm aghast that you approached a marathon with a longest run of only 9 miles (if your post is correct). The RW training plans are a really good start, check them out (at least 16 weeks) before your next one... Good luck. Think of the time you'd have pulled out with proper distance training!
  • I was a bit of a photo whore so there are plenty of me on marathonfoto. Plus I found some unidentified images of myself too.

I'm trying to work out if there are any more decent ones to come. I seem to be missing an actual finish line photo - were there even cameras on the line?

• yes there were camereas on the line - they came up on my iphone i look but not on the PC - very odd! - had 3-4 of myself on the line - taken from above.

• Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Paul - as TD has mentioned before, our Garmins have a statistical error inbuilt of 2-3% - but I must say I always feel a little cheated during a marathon, when I'm checking Garmin distance vs the km markers...

Toffeeliz - that's quite an effort but frankly I'm aghast that you approached a marathon with a longest run of only 9 miles (if your post is correct). The RW training plans are a really good start, check them out (at least 16 weeks) before your next one... Good luck. Think of the time you'd have pulled out with proper distance training!

I actually only had one run of 4.5 miles in the previous 3 months, and felt ok up till 23 miles. - i kept thinking what i could have done with some training!!! - arghhhhh!

• Why are my legs feeling worse?image

• David White 20 wrote (see)

Why are my legs feeling worse?image

If its any consolation my legs feel like they have been run over by a truck!!! Not had this experience before and not sure i like it!!

• think it usually kicks in about 48 hours or so later. Got out and did a couple of miles last night and felt ok so will begin again in the next few days - going to the US at the end of the month so cannot afford to pile on the pounds eating loads of food post race image

• I'm back in the UK now after another couple of days sightseeing so have a chance to catch up here.

Well done to everyone who made it to the start line, and to all the other smug people with shiny new pbs.

What an event.  I thought that the weather was perfect, the organisation first class (anyone else get an instant printout of their splits and placing from the white huts between the Reichstag and Brandenburg tower?) and much of the scenery beautifully Baroque-y and intimidating.  I also particularly enjoyed the first 1km or so by the Siegessaule, but also that roundabout later on where we took the last exit and could see runners streaming around it with thousands more backing up down the boulevard.  I also enjoyed a couple of those alcoholfrei Erdingers at the end.

One issue I did have was the 3hr pacer who stopped at 27.5km.   Let go of his balloon for it to sail into the clouds, shrugged and stepped to one side.  Huh?  Did anyone see any other pacers prematurely stop?  After that I had to pace myself but managed a 2.56.41 for a 3 minute pb which I'm delighted (albeit surprised) with.  I've not checked my Garmin yet but I don't think I took any massive shortcuts and I remember it gaining almost a km due to inaccuracies and underpasses, etc.  I'll be able to use my time for start area A of Comrades, but could have done a little better if I had the confidence to push harder and earlier.

Also disappointing was that my trusty wave precisions have now died with a hole in the inside of the heel (taking my race socks and some skin with them).  I'll have to invest in some new gear.

I was late getting to the pub so only made it at half six, but didn't hear any English being spoken or see any RW magazines.  With missing the Saturday run meetup, I guess that I must work on my tardiness as I'd have enjoyed dinner with the hardcore.

Perhaps I'll race elsewhere next year, but I'll be back to Berlin at some point, without the sightseeing and stein prelude.

Great from andy to have the presence of mind to do the mobot after the race! TD, sad to read about your experiences, firstly with EJ and then during the race.  Hopefully that is all the bad luck out of the way with better fortune leading into 2013 and the VLM.

Thanks more generally for everyone's input to this forum.

• Thanks Ally - I don't feel unlucky or regretful in any way. Life is about adaptation really. Just wish I had a clearer understanding of what has made my knee the way it is and how much (training) risk i can afford to take with it. Right now, I think it is sensible to be conservative. Am looking out for a second hand turbo trainer so I can do some hard indoor training on two wheels.

I don't want to give up running but i don't want to be plagued with doubt that I might be crippling myself. Knee feels sore and a bit unstable - not the sort of muscular swelling type issues I'd normally have after a full mara. Anyway, I remain cheerful. Seems a better choice than misery

And i love hearing about people's great experiences running overseas marathons. Fans the flame for the next one. Leisa. As I was a DNF in Berlin, doesn't that mean I am behind YOU and doing the following in to London?! image

• Paul- took the daughter swimming today at the pool at my work and the legs feel a little bit better. Your DOMS should be at their peak by now and it should start to get a bit better over the next few days.

Tricky- Give it a few weeks and I bet you'll be plotting your assault on London for next year.

• David - your legs can't be that bad, I could not entertain swimming at present. Some of the doms are subsiding, but that is just highlighting other pains!!!! Now I know why you should train! (not that it was an option as my ITBS would not allow anything).

When do people think it's ok to try and run again? Light running that is.
  • Paul- my daughter's only 3 so it was more of a splash about. I'm teaching spinning on Saturday and that will be my first venture into exercise post marathon but I think I'll try a light run next week.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Ally - shame we never got to meet. Not entirely sure how you could of missed us all in the pub though!. Great PB and hope you celebrated it that night. Me, TD and Stefan we're in pen c at the start with a couple of Serps in front of us. TD called 'ally' and one of them turned round, only for us to find it was another Ally from SERPS - Alex to be precise.

As for getting back into training - no running for me at all until Monday. DOMS much better today and ive got a massage in the morning but far too soon for running. Next week I have 5 days of recovery paced runs, lots of stretching sessions and core, ending with Maidstone Half on the Sunday. Last race of our club season so hopefully can help towards bringing the title home for the 5th consecutive year but I wont be putting in a high intensive effort that's for sure!
  • feeling guilty now about the 5miles i have just done - gentle 5 though but the legs felt fine. 

• Did 15k on my MTB before sun up with the dog this morning. I wouldn't have been any wetter if I had just thrown myself in a lake. Felt great for the legs and ticker though.

Ha ha, looking out the window, it's blue skies now. image

• I'm leaving it till next week till I venture out. My legs feel like balsa wood that would crack under any pressure. At least the DOMs have gone now almost.

Tricky - what's wrong with your knee ? I have knee problems as well.
  • My DOMS has subsided and revealed a couple of actual injuries. My right IT band is pretty bad, but that was to be expected as it was my pre-race niggle. My left IT band is also a bit unhappy, and I'm feeling a brand new, and quite severe pain in the arch/heel of my foot. I'm guessing this is the infamous plantar fasciitis that I have read so much about!

• Thmb - I have found the same thing DOMs gone to reveal niggling injuries - take it easy as small injuries soon become big injuries.
  • thmb200 could be tight calf/sloues. maybe get donw the physio always helps after a mara.

No running yet i will venture out tomorrow for a 4 miler recovery run, i'm getting restless!

• Feel slightly guilty about the lack of pain/injuries or hangover. I managed about 10k yesterday including a relatively fast club handicap race. I've entered Rotterdam next April in a further attempt for a Boston (or London) QT, and have settled on (after a discussion in the pub) Frankfurt for the Autumn.

• I've gone for Rome & Brighton in march april for a BQ time (not sure if to treat rome as practice or go for it in rome then do brighton gently any ideas?) and then may go for NYC in November

I think 3 is enough for next year - problem is staying injury free.