BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• i have brighton but might do another in the spring - i have my GFA for Boston and London now after Berlin but presume it will be 2014 before i can use it. 

• Well done Andy . Are you doing Boston or London or both?
  • i want to do Boston but i think i am now too late for 2013 - i am deffo too late for London. How long does the GFA times last? 

Also i have always run with Adidas Glides but these new 4's are hurting my legs as they have dropped too much cushioning. I cannot keep buying old pairs of glide 3's as they are getting harder to find. What does eveyone else run in? Any other suggestions for a neutral cushioned shoe.

• Ghost 5??? The ghost get good reviews from 3onwards I used the ghost 4 before now.

London it's 2 years that GFA is ok and NYC is 1 year and alot lower tine and 2 years for Boston ! You have plenty of time.
  • Andy- Boston entries are still open now but will close any day

• I want to do Boston.  imageimage  

Did anyone from here follow the Pfitzinger and Douglas plan?? 

• Ghost 5s are good neutral cushioned shoes, I had the 4s as well and never had any hint of knee pain since using them so would definitely recommend them. Quite light too.

Leisa- I found Pfitzinger's plans a bit complicated so switched to Hal Higdon's Advanced 1 training plan which I really liked. I dont consider myself an advanced runner at all but the plan has a nice variety of runs to stop it getting too boring. Used Mike Grattons sub 4 hr plan before that and that's good too. I've just ordered Richard Nerurkar's book so might give that a go for London.
  • Do most people here follow plans? I just go out and go for a run - long at weekends as I have more time and short during the week. Do people find it really makes a difference?

I want to enjoy running rather than make it a job.
  • Good luck with that book Cookie I found it hard going but it obviously worked for Nell McAndrew image who smashed her sub 3 target.

I did'nt follow any specific plan for this one, just run more, run long on a weekend and one speed session at the track.

No runs for me this week with a fairly heavy work load but I am starting to feel the urge to get out again. 3 weeks to Dublin and the pains of Berlin are beginning to be forgotten.

• First run post-Berlin this am - bracing 5 miler alongside Hove seafront. Magnificent.

Absolutely nothing left in the legs now though so might leave next run a day or two...
  • just en route back from Berlin. Didnt get into London sadly. I started at the back of F and the first 6 miles were very congested - my Garmin read 27.3 but I ran far too lateral often. Still 15 min PB to 3:21. Need to up my training from 4 runs a week but having kids and a busy job always puts a fifth run at a social risk!

Given lack of London place I am considering Vienna, Rotterdam or even Bratislava in the spring before another crack at the Brandenburg gates!

Some really great runs here by the way. Might try a run on Sunday or Monday!
  • Feeling fat and lethargic after no running this week. Tried a 4 miler on Monday and managed a comedy 9 min recovery run. Nothing since but hoping to get some running in next week as have Bham Half on 21st. Will concentrate on speed rather than endurance. Then back into marathon training for Mumbai in January and a 50 mile ultra in February. Back to the Hanson Bros plan for me.

On shoes, as an orthotics wearer neutral for me. Adi all the way - Boston 3 for training and Adios 2 for speed work and racing. Just brilliant shoes and have a 100% sub 3 hour record in them!
  • My first post Berlin run tomorrow morning on the trails. i have quite enjoyed the week off. After seriously cramping up at the finish and that lasting two days I was getting a bit worried that I'd injured myself but eveything seems to have worn off.

My instinct though is that I really need to stretch more.

• 6.5 miles done today, no serious complaint other than it feeling like the last 6.2 of the marathon. Dublin build up starts from here.

• Hope everyone's recovering well. I did an easy 3 miler yesterday after a week off, felt good to be running again. I think I need a new focus to stop me getting fat and lazy! 

If anyone's interested, I put together a little youtube vid of some of the photos and video my husband took at the marathon along with some of the marathonfoto shots of me. It was just to share it with my family really, but I thought I might link to it here too.

• I would just like to say a VERY BIG THANK YOU to Ally, who kindly picked up my race number as I could not get into Berlin until 8pm on the Saturday.  Please that he has managed a great PB and I managed to run under 3hrs (2.59.40) for the first time and that was with pulling up with cramp at 37km too and deciding not to risk a sprint finish so I know I at least have a 2.58.00 marathon in the tank (roll on Edinburgh in May! Another fast course). 

One of the most dramatic starts and finishes regarding surroundings and architecture that I have experienced since completing the Venice marathon.  I will be back!

I am not a regular blogger, but I am immensely impressed by the support you guys give each other and as I train alone and don't know any other runners it's useful to know there is support out there if I need it.

• Martin - great time. Have to second the support from here too throughout the whole process.

One week ago, I was also suffering severe cramp! 2nd run of about 10k today since Berlin. Wonderful.

Best wishes all. I think this'll be me signing off.

Iain
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭
    1st run just done, great Edinburgh run 10k, felt a niggle in calf about 6k so took care, 47 minutes legs feeling it now though
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭

I've no idea on which to do next, rejection letter for London so thinking of another Euro trip...I hear good things about Rotterdam, or Rome...Tokyo now that would be some trip

• THe support on this thread has been ace and as I always travel to these foreign marathons solo it's nice to meet the good folk in person in the agreed pub later. Makes the weekend for me. 

This year I met johnas, Roger and his wife Mary, Stephen Malcolm and two of his club mates.

In the pub I was half listening to Johnas speaking to Roger and them mentioning some you tube video and then finally it clicked. I had had a few German beers by this point. That the Roger at our table was the same Roger who stared in his own you tube video re-titled the most inspirational video you'll ever watch. It was a great moment and I hope to enjoy many more similar ones in the future.

Rumour is that Frankfurt may be the marathon of choice for next Autumn.

• Hey! Keyboard Worrier, you met me too!! image
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭

peeved I couldn't find the pub, part of the trip involved Frankfurt, beautiful city.

• Keyboard_Worrier wrote (see)

THe support on this thread has been ace and as I always travel to these foreign marathons solo it's nice to meet the good folk in person in the agreed pub later. Makes the weekend for me. 

This year I met johnas, Roger and his wife Mary, Stephen Malcolm and two of his club mates.

In the pub I was half listening to Johnas speaking to Roger and them mentioning some you tube video and then finally it clicked. I had had a few German beers by this point. That the Roger at our table was the same Roger who stared in his own you tube video re-titled the most inspirational video you'll ever watch. It was a great moment and I hope to enjoy many more similar ones in the future.

Paul (KW) it was really great meeting you and everyone else at the pub. Really disappointed that others including Leisa had already come and gone as we got there late. Also sorry others like ADG couldn't find it. Hopefully there will be a reunion of some other race that will have our paths cross again. Below is a picture that my wife took of the group at the pub. From right (although you English have your left and rights mixed up! lol), Johnas and his wife, Keyboard Worrier, Stephen's running mates, me (Roger) and Stephen.

BTW, I ran a half marathon this morning and missed a PR/PB by 17 seconds at 1:55:08. Really could have / should have pushed myself just a little bit more.

/members/images/722060/Gallery/Friends_I_met_online_at_the_UK_Runners_World_Forum.jpg

• RFME - may see you in Boston area. I am probably going to do the Monster Dash in Providence on 28 October. Also, Falmouth Road Race in August. image
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Keyboard_Worrier wrote (see)
    Rumour is that Frankfurt may be the marathon of choice for next Autumn.

I see it's organised by the same people as Berlin - that can only be a good thing! Fast too - course record held by Wilson Kipsang in 2:03:42. Got to be the only marathon where you actually finish on a red carpet indoors too!

Really tempted by this. I wonder if it'll clash with Amsterdam though next year.

• Martin - congratulations on your time, that's really impressive.  Hope Edinburgh treats you well!

Johnas - just checked back and saw your time as well.  You ran a blinder.  Many congratulations!

RFME - getting close to your HM PB so close to Berlin is a great result.  Have had a look through your site btw and will send you a message.

I went out for an attempted 4 mile run last night, first since the race, got terrible stitches all round my front and then stopped after 2.5 miles with a really sore calf muscle.  Forgot how tight this was after the marathon.  Otherwise I felt fine, recovered far more quickly than last year, assisted I think by a lot of walking for the next couple of days after the race.  Was thinking of doing a half marathon next month to try and get a PB there but don't know if this is on now.

Really interested in Chicago for next year, possibly also with Rotterdam in the spring. Have put a wee race report up at http://www.myrunninglife.co.uk/berlin-marathon-2012-race-report/

• RFME - great effort, one week after Berlin. Congratulations! I wasn't even in PB form pre-marathon. I also went out for 10k yesterday and had little ability to push, also had to stop and stretch regularly, suffering as per Strunner. So in other words - what an effort.

By the way, can you direct me to your website? Really annoyed both myself and David White 20 didn't catch you guys - looks like fun was had!

Strunner - looking forward to reading your race report. I'm also tempted by Frankfurt but I may go Berlin again next Autumn - I just love the place so much.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Thanks Strunner and congrats on your PB too. Just imagine what you'll manage next time! I'd say the sciatica and impact on your long runs more than likely contributed to you hitting a wall so be positive about getting a decent PB and your next marathon. Sub 3.50 will be yours!

RE: Chicago. I can't decide whether to chase my dream of doing all the majors before I'm 40 (next 4 years) or just picking races I think would be good instead (like Frankfurt next year). With the cost of NY now ridiculous, are the 'Majors' really that special? Come April I would have done 2 of them so that only leaves the costly American ones. Decisions decisions image

• Strunner - really enjoyed reading your Berlin race blog.  That sticky feet feeling didn't really happen to me in Berlin but in NYC, it was like that on nearly EVERY sports drink station.  Very sticky and hard to run through.  I also found the aid stations to be too congested and hope that Berlin will improve on that.  

My Marathonfoto shows me just before the Brandenburg gate and the 4:00 pacer is behind me.  I saw him overtake me at the gate but could not get my legs to go any faster due to cramps.  Still stewing over those 17 seconds!

/members/images/367110/Gallery/with_pacer.jpg

Johnas - I am trying to do all the majors.  Next year, London will be my third and that leaves me Chicago and Boston.  This means I have 2 attempts to shave off at least another 5 minutes from my PB.  Either that or I could wait till I'm 50 (not long) then only have to do a sub 4:00 (just got to knock off 17 seconds).

• Leisa H wrote (see)
    RFME - may see you in Boston area. I am probably going to do the Monster Dash in Providence on 28 October. Also, Falmouth Road Race in August. image

Leisa, are you located here (USA) or just a frequent flyer? Don't know much about the Monster Dash but I have done Falmouth RR three times and it is rated as one of the most beautiful races in the US. Hard to get in (very tough lottery) but the same race is also run in the fall (Falmouth In The Fall) and this year is Nov 4th. MUCH cooler and cheaper too at $15! Contact me if you come in town. image    

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    RFME - great effort, one week after Berlin. Congratulations! I wasn't even in PB form pre-marathon. I also went out for 10k yesterday and had little ability to push, also had to stop and stretch regularly, suffering as per Strunner. So in other words - what an effort.

By the way, can you direct me to your website?

I just assumed my time was going to be slow so I didn't even look at my Garmin until I crossed the finishline at which point I was surprised to see my time.

My website is: www.RFME.org (btw, RFME = Running For My Existence)

Johnas wrote (see)
    RE: Chicago. I can't decide whether to chase my dream of doing all the majors before I'm 40 (next 4 years) or just picking races I think would be good instead (like Frankfurt next year). With the cost of NY now ridiculous, are the 'Majors' really that special? Come April I would have done 2 of them so that only leaves the costly American ones. Decisions decisions image

IMHO, I think they were worth it and I'm no where near the running level you are. Personally I would probabaly never have gone to London or Berlin but in retrospect they were some of the best weeks of my life. Fortunately I have learned, even at such a late point in life, that you can never live a life of regret. image 

/members/images/722060/Gallery/The_Five_Marathon_Majors_640K.jpg