Options

Support Group 3

Comments

• Options

I'm sooo excited and I just can't hide it, I'm about to lose control and I think I like it la la la la la

But I don't think I can run if the weather's like this on Sunday image

• Options
    At the moment its supposed to be good for runningup until 4ish but then it could all change by Sunday
  • Options
    Pouring with rain and blowing a hoolie in Brighton!
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Forecast where I am - rain right through to the end of the forecast.

Forecast for London - rain right through to Sunday afternoon.

AND, it's raining at the moment, which means that the local meteorological office has the bloke who looks out of the window working the morning shift.  He's usually quite accurate.

BUT, I've never done a marathon in the rain.  Apart from more copious amounts of vaseline (learned that one from a long run in the rain) and wearing the bin bags before the start, is there anything else useful to know for a wet marathon?

• Options
    I ran London in 2006 and it was very wet - particularly for the slow runners like me who take around 5 hours.  Mind you, 2007 was boiling and that was worse!  Yes, there's more chafing and blisters if your feet get very wet.  It's also very cold though.  The Brighton Half in 2010 was horrid - rainy, windy and freezing.  Wear lots of layers, gloves and a hat/head band and the bin bag and discard.
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Matt, sorry for the delay.  I'm not around much this week due to other commitments.  I've added you to the list so don't worry, we will be there for you.  If you get chance to provide a photo of you in your running kit that would be great, but it's not essential if you can't.

Friday morning will be my last chance to get on here and update the lists so I will have to stop accepting people after that.  However, other Support Groups sould be able to accommodate late comers.

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Bikermum, you are welcome to join us.  Can you provide the following information before Friday morning please:

Real name (first name will do)
    Race number
    Estimated time at mile 17 or estimated finish time (and I can work it out)
    What you will be wearing
    Any special needs that you are leaving at expo or want us to provide.

If you can also provide a photo of you in your running kit that would be a big help, but it isn't essential.

Just to reiterate to everyone, it is your responsibility to find us as we cannot pick you out from the crowds, especially if we haven't met you before.  Read back through the thread for pictures and descriptions of what to look out for.

If anyone wants my mobile number then PM me.

• Options
    Supercaz I will text you a photo of me but I don't have one in running clothes except one from London in 2006.

If I make it to you some jelly babies and Jaffa cakes would be fab. I can't eat when doing anything physical.

Hopefully my sister will adorn my yellow tee-shirt on the front with the words 'Am I There Yet'. Travelling on sleeper on Thursday night so will post if she does it.

Oh I am nervous.
  • Options
    ooh been to the expo got my nuber and chip.
    its all very real all of sudden.
    i can forger the crap at work for a few days now
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    Evening team image I have been off line all day, welcome Matt and BikerMum image
    Brilliant fund raising StrayCelt image
    Ooh first number and chip collected, how exciting image
  • Options

Blimey my typing on my phone is rubish, must be my fat fingers my spellings not normally that bad.

I went to the expo at 4.30pm and it was really quite empty of people which was good. I had a stroll around the stands and could have spent a small fortune, but sensibily I did buy anythingimageI hope the weather improves by sunday its been awful the last couple of days.

I don't mind cold or rain but I don't like strong gusty windimage

• Options
    Thanks Caz. I will try get a photograph tomorrow!
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Cheers, LTS.  Think I'll be turning up at the start in discardable everything and the bin bags to discard them into.  The run will still be vest and shorts, though the gloves may stay on for the first few miles if'n it's chillying it down.

Wow, Tommygun2, that was early!  I've got Friday afternoon pencilled in for the registration to try to avoid queues.  Saturday is probably going to be spent getting a little inspiration from the Olympic site.  And sitting down.  Lots.

• Options

Ratzer I work in the city so its just a 20min ride on the DLR to Excel. I definately avoided the queues I walked in straight to the registration got my number and chip within 3 minsimage

I couldn't go today as I have to go to a funeral and tomorrow will be to busy to go

• Options
    I'll be at the Expo this evening. Just the small matter of the whole day travelling to get through first. On multiple public transport. Ew. Will be using liberal amounts of First Defence Hand Wash and probably wearing gloves and a scarf. I always end up sitting next to someone with a cough or streaming nose.
  • Options
    I will be on the sleeper from Perth tonight getting into London about 8am then some breakfast and out to Expo for it opening at 10. After that I have to get down to Haywards Heath for the rest of my stay. It's the travelling up on Sunday I am it looking forward to
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Heading down tomorrow too. Hope to get to the expo in the afternoon.

Must remember to pack lots of jelly baby sized umbrellas for mile 17
  • Options

I'm taking half a day's leave tomorrow and travelling from Brighton to the expo and drop off some funds for my jelly babies at mile 17!

Speedy - I'm hoping to drive to Three Bridges Sunday morning and get the train to London Bridge, are you coming up on the same line from Haywards Heath?

• Options
    Half a day left of work! I'm off tomorrow - going expo around lunchtime friday, eat some pasta and visit RW's stand. Can't wait, it's getting very real now.
    Carbo loading time...
  • Options
    Hi Long Tall Sally. Yes it's the same line. Seems its a bus from HH to Three Bridge then train to London Bridge. What train are you aiming on getting from Three Bridges?
  • Options
    Evening people image  Just a reminder that if you're leaving stuff at the RW stand, please mark it RW as well as all the other name/number stuff.  Don't want it getting tangled up with the Fetch stuff.
  • Options
    Picked up a new club vest tonight, now I can't decide between Red & White Benfleet Club vest or yellow Havens Vest image
  • Options
    Picked up my number tonight :0)

I left a couple of gels and some cash for supplies in a small bag marked for group 3 - hope whoever is there in the morning finds it!

• Options

were not going to supprt anyone

were just gonna stand there laughing our arses off image

• Options

Mick's only jesting ... if he doesn't do his support bit properly I'll have him on blowing up balloons and sexing jelly babies* all day image

*boy ones for eating, girl ones for breeding for next year

• Options
    Well fingers crossed the forcasted showers continue to get earlier so they are all over by the time it all kicks off or fail to materialise
  • Options
    I'd rather the showers were later and hold off till after we get going. Running in the rain is ok, but standing around in it freezing for ages beforehand is not fun. ?Expo was rubbish, no real bargains and goody bag full of men's toiletries and usual can of beer. Yuk. Plus, randomly, a bag of rice.
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Setting off soon.  For Kew.

I'm not being rude - that's where I'm staying!

I am erring on the side of it starting wet, being wet right the way through, and finishing wet.  What I worry about is if it is breezy as well as wet, in which case I can't imagine enjoying any part of the journey, and I'm not preparing for it.  Gloves and a hat can stay on as long as they're needed, but vest and shorts is going to be my concession to body warmth whilst running.  Rain and breeze will make for a very uncomfortable event!  I hate not knowing how the weather is going to be!  Grrrr...

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    For Kew ... lol Ratzer image

fingers crossed it will be dry, cool and still
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Hi guys.  I'm around for another couple of hours before heading off to London.  Just putting together the final list of details now.  I might be able to pop in later if I can get internet access, but I won't have access to a printer so any photos won't be able to make it to Mudchute with me.

Speedy G, I got your text.  I can't remember whether I replied or not as I was really busy and trying to do too many things at once.