Support Group 4

Comments

• james clayton 7 wrote (see)
    Its a place that charities buy from Virgin, then allocate to runners who apply to them. I have to raise £1500 minimum but thats all going well so far
    Sorry, was being thick, I normally call them charity places.  How's the fundraising going?
  • james and co

nice to read this support and advice on here

but for those on thier first FM

yes ok, sometimes we say Hm time x2 and a 15 mins or so

well, experience tells me, id be careful, it can be a long hard road in real truth,

and u wont want to have times in ure heads and on route fatuige sets in in some way, and suddenly the times has  gone out the window,

that wil make it mentally hard and heart breaking

just a thought

• Morning all

Friday image

Right, I'm off with the forum sheepdog and cattle prod to round up those on the missing list.  It's about to get busy in here!

• Morning all

LOL Hash...good luck!

Rest day for me today, legs are quite sore and a few niggles so not taking any chances!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Good luck Hash, I've a nice swim planned and a n easy 5 miles.
  • Have a good one No Pain

Grrr to niggles MWW. Hope they're just that. Shall I send scrummy Tim the rugby playing osteo round? He may not fix the niggle, but trust me it will be therapeutic! image

• Just received prod from Hash image

I have had to withdraw due to be a sore hip that came on after The Pilgrims in February. Have been in complete denial about making it around London, but finally thought I would rather run it properly in 2013, then feel miserable this year.

Will catch up on the thread later. Still hope to make it to Mudchute, just on the other side of the fence!

• Hash - I think I will definately benefit from scrummy Tim's attention....send him my way...nowimage
  • Oh boo hopetofinish, that's a shame .. but sensible.
  • Hi Guys,

Sorry was waiting for my race number!

PugRunner aka Lynda

Got my race number when I got home from work, nice surprise - 35569

Really dont know how long it will take me to get to 17. 2:45 ish? I'm injured (shin splints) so had to take 2.5 weeks off from training recently. Physio said it would pass and should be ok for the Big Day.
    However, still giving me a bit of trouble. So my new strategy is to run/walk the whole thing. At every mile I'm going to walk for 2 minutes. Hope this gets me round. Not going to push myself too hard as I really just want to finish!!

I'm running for the British Forces Foundation, name will be on front of the vest. Vest is white, wearing black shorts and a Union Jack tutu.
    Jafa cakes and jelly babies would be good!!

Thank you for the support, will be lovely to have some smiling faces at mile 17, give me something to look forward to!!

Good luck with the training everyone! Nice sunny weekend to get out.
  • Hi Hash image Long time no speak. How are you. I have searched the support groups to see if you were on one! No marathon for me but haven't got out of the long runs as my daughter is doing London this year. She's never done London but did do Edinburgh in 30degrees heat 2 years ago. I'll be supporting her at mile 11 and 24 can I ask you to give her a hug at 17 if she needs it??? I know how good your mile 17 hugs are image she's aiming for sub 5 and looking good for it so far.

Hope you are well. Any plans for you??? Xxx
  • Hello the Plus Fours ... I've told Biscuit Nikki to join your group of runners ... she might even bring her own digestives image

• Hello all! Thank you for letting me sneak in! I don't get forum access in work and seem to spend too much time handing out advice in health and injury area so it took me a while to find the thread!
    I will happily drop off some biscuity snacks for group 4 supporters at the expo!

Erm details;

Forum name: Biscuit Nikki
    Race number: still waiting for this
    Approx time to mile 17: oh tricky as this is my first full marathon - hopefully somewhere around 2:10
    Wearing: I'm running for brain tumour uk - so that t-shirt and a purple bandana, but if it's hot I'll go with a baseball hat. Oh and I have all purple trainers!
    And lastly I don't need anything special. Probably a jelly baby and a cheer will be much appreciated.

Phew - is that everything I needed to mention? Have to say I am terrified!
    Oh and Mick I saw you at Wokingham half the other month but was to shy to say hello. I hope it was a good day for you!
  • Hash, did you know there is a Hash on the forum asking about info on the red start.  Gave me quite a start ... I thought you'd been cloned image ... much as I love you I am not sure the world is ready for a second one!
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Hi peeps how's the weeks training gone? Not long to the start of taper madness, I've got a half marathon to do this morning looking forward to seeing how that will pan out, I will be adding a couple of miles at the start and end to make up the 20 then next weekend will be the last long run for me.

Big welcome to all the new peeps
  • I am going to do my last 20 this weekend. That will make three 20's in total. I have found the other two quite (well really) hard. I've got reading half next weekend which I plan to add some miles onto but then I am tapering after that.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Sounds like your training has gone well so far, you will enjoy the big day the support is fantastic.
  • Relaxed image  Lovely to see you.  Of course to giving your daughter a hug, what's her name and does she want to leave something at the Expo for us to hand to her?  I'm still running thanks, but it's kind of taken a back seat after a fairly big and unexpected life change.  I'm working in London these days, so more time on a train than training.  The pressure's off though, and I genuinely don't give a stuff about my times anymore, which is pretty liberating.

Tim's coming down the USB port MWW image

Sorry to hear it hopetofinish, but like Pingu says, sensible.  See you at Mudchute.

Welcome along Pug Runner and Biscuit Nikki.

Have a good one No Pain

TP yep.  That will be the bugger who's responsible for my full stop.  Grrr......  I think the red start's in Milton Keynes, isn't it? image

• waves to everyone!!

Mick- would be brill to meet you on the day!

I second what Hash said about naming miles 20-26 for someone- sound hideously cheesey and vomit inducong but it really does work as I would NOT give up on so and so's mile!

Last long long run done for me yesterday 20 in 3.39 so happy with that!!  Was aiming for sub 4.30 at Brighton but having a bit of a wobble as to whether I'l actually be able to do it!!

Stay safe out there group4 you're nearly there!!!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Forum name                        Mr Puffy
    Name                                  email
    Race number                      24903
    Estimated time to mile 17    12:03pm
    What you'll be wearing      My Club vest
    Any special needs*           None thank you.
  • Hello all

Hope you have all been out enjoying the sunimage

I did 14 miles this morning..got caught up in a duathalon for the duration as the run and cycle was around the route I was takingimage I really struggled with a two very big hills...achillies and PF hurting now...really will have to take it easy for a day or two!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OK Race Report.

Yesterday I just swam and had a deep tissue massage as I had started to suffer from piriformis syndrome (a pain in the butt and effecting my calf) This treadment was bloody sore at the time but after 20/30 mins it had gone. I think this had come on from the issue I had with my back a few weeks ago. So I was feeling good this morning but knew that a PB was not on in real terms so the aim was for 1:23image*.

I did a couple of miles to warm up and got to the start line feeling ok the horn went and I settled in behind a group that I know would be running in or around 1:20 pace. The first six miles went in a flash as bright as the sun 5:59 6:08 5:53 5:53 5:59 5:59. I felt that I was going well at this stage and a PB was looking possible then came the hill and the next two miles went in at 6:22 6:48 It was at this point I started to fall off the group coming back down to sea level and turning into the wind saw mile 9 and 10 miles apart in time 5:49 6:21 I seemed to recover and gain ground back on a group in front of me and it was obvious that the wind was effecting everyone which meant the run in was tough but I was not passed in the running from mile 10 and the following 3 miles where completed in 6:35 6:42 6:50 in the sprint to the line I passed one runner from the group ahead of me. So I completed the half in 1:22:22 and came 39th and 3rd in my age group. So I'm very happy with this with my last long run still to come next week and taper time after that I feel that i'm back on track for another sub 3image. Very easy 10 miles tomorrow.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Hey Hash, Caz has got a spreadsheet, have we got a spreadsheet?
  • No pain - brilliant race report and an amazing finish time. Sounds like tricky conditions! Have you (or anyone else) got any good tips for running in te heat now that it is getting warmer? I find my performance suffers when it gets warmer and after seeing so many runners suffer from Dehydration and heat stroke last year i am a little worried about it.
  • Biscuit Nikki, I also suffer in the heat, hate running in it! Sounds miserable as it looks lovely but I really don't do well!

I think there are a couple of run-through showers at the Marathon arent there? Keep us cool. image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    You have 4 weeks left to London it's always warmer than up north here so I still wear my leggings and two tops also you can take a hot baths this will help you. There are water stations at every mile last year was 23 degrees and I used 6 gels and little water. I used my water to keep my legs cool and then my head this seems to work for me just make sure you use some vasilne on bits that may chafe. image
  • Mr Puffy wrote (see)
    Hey Hash, Caz has got a spreadsheet, have we got a spreadsheet?

Oooooh yesimage  It's still floundering on my work PC, but when I remember to send it home I'll make it a google doc so we can all see it.  I'll tie it down to invitees only though, so nobody but us lot will see it.

Great race report No Pain, sounds like you're exactly where you need to be.

Biscuit Nikki wrote (see)
     Have you (or anyone else) got any good tips for running in te heat now that it is getting warmer? I find my performance suffers when it gets warmer and after seeing so many runners suffer from Dehydration and heat stroke last year i am a little worried about it.
    Don't do what I did at VLM 2009 and over-compensate by taking water at every mile.  First of all it means there's less for the slower runners and secondly I spent most of the race needing a wee.  I didn't quite do a Paula, but I did visit a pub, McDonalds  and a bit of green somewhere far too public in Docklands (being waaaay beyond caring or dignity at that point).
  • Anyone watching the beeb at the moment? 

Some idiot who claims he ran a marathon having only ever done 10 miles, and a celebrity fitness trainer who reckons Jedward could "just" turn up and run a marathon because they've got "boundless energy".  Twat.image

• Thanks everyone! Hash - I think programmes like that are really irresponsible. I wonder if they will mention jade goody or various others that have failed after poor preparation. it makes non-runners really under estimate the distance and commitment it really takes. Plus jedward are not by any definition 'normal' and the quicker they get off my tv the better. (rant over!)