Support Group 4

Comments

• I've done 1 20, an 18, a 17 and 2 x 16s as well as 2 half marathons since the end of January and lots more distances between 12 and 15 miles. 12 mile long run last weekend (step back weekend) was done in 1:51:02 and my pb half marathon was 1:53:47. I wanted to get this last one under my belt then I would have felt prepared. I'll dose up on cold and flu stuff and maybe do it mid week? Sound reasonable?
  • James

more more than prepared

• You think mick? Do I need another 20? I think I'd feel better knowing I've got 2 under my belt. Could I switch around and do it midweek and the midweek run next Sunday? Done 29 miles this week in total an starting to fret a bit!!
  • James

You want my honest opinion

i think you should look after that cold first , and just do a few miles, you dont need any more long miles,

bloody hell - your fitter than me now, image

eat, drink, and sleep well in the build up to April 22

just relax now, think PMA and chill

your friend always

Mick  

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    I would rather hit the start line feeling a little under trained than wiped out from doing to much to close to the big day, like Mick said you have it in the Bank if your going to do another long run do it mid week and cut. Ext weekend right down to 10 or 12 easy.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Cross post with Mick and agree with him image
  • Thought I'd post a small race report from reading today: started a bit chilly and I was wondering if I needed gloves! Had my nan's 80th birthday last night and we ended up driving back home (from Kent to Berkshire) quite late so I was feeling tired as well.
    No matter, start was ok. All the drums and crowd got me over excited an I went out too fast - around 6:30 - 6:40 and my plan was to keep around 6:50 - 7:00. I rein it in but by 6 miles I can tell each mile is going to be a hard effort.
    Crowds were amazing and support was fantastic. The biggest highlight for me was seeing Mick and phil along the a33, around mile 11-12. I had been struggling to keep up the pace but it was the boost I needed just before the hair pin section to the stadium finish.
    Finish time of 1:33. A bit disappointed as wokigham last month was 1:32. But overall a good experience.
    Mick - I hope you had a good day! It was brilliant seeing you!
    Tiptoe - how did your race go?
  • James, I agree with what others have said, you're more than prepared.  Get over the cold rather than stress out about training.  Anything done within 3 weeks doesn't really make much differerence. 

Biscuit Nikki, great race report, you're fast! image

• So come on then - how has everybody else's weekends gone? Are you starting to taper now or do you have a few more long runs planned?

Anyone else starting to feel a bit nervous?

• I'm hoping to shift this cold and go for one last long run mid week, but will see how I feel. If not it'll be the start of the taper and 12 miles next Sunday...
  • James - lots of lemsip and chicken soup? Take it easy and as everyone has said concentrate on feelin better. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
  • Well we've done the hard work now, 3 weeks of doughnuts and ice cream surely image

• Thanks for everyones support, feeling better today so hopefully will have it shifted soon. Bring on the 22nd!
  • IP I like your thinking! That sounds like a good carb loading plan image
  • Just out of curiousity, what times are people aiming/hoping for?
  • Faster than last time ... so under 4.44.46 image
  • As close to 4 hrs as possible.

My training this year has been much better than last years, I have done a lot more speedwork and hills which has improved my stamina and running outside my comfort zon + no injuries (fingers crossed)

All my long runs have been a constant 9.00min/mile, with a couple of miles either being 8.15 or 8.30 so over 26 miles will average out at 3hrs 56 mins.

Okay, there will be loads of people around which can effect your speed but fingers crossed I can do it.

Will be back here after 22nd to let you all know how I got on

Good luck everyone

• My first marathon so I literally have no idea what to expect.

• I have targets in my mind but don't really want to write them down as then it will be an actual target - does that make sense? LOL

This will be my first marathon and I don't know what to expect. With this in mind i want to try and enjoy the day. I have been training for 7:30 min/mile but am strongly considering running a bit slower and just trying to enjoy the experience.

Makes me nervous just thinknig about it all!

• I know my stomach does flips whenever I think about it. My long runs have been done at around 9:20-9:45/mile so what does that equate to race wise??
  • When are most people going to the Expo?  It'll be Saturday afternoon for me. 

• I'm stuck about what to do. I am in Scotland the week before for a work training course and am flying back to Gatwick Friday afternoon - so tempted to trek to the Excel Friday late afternoon rather than try to battle back on Saturday image
  • Where are you staying Friday night?

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Nice 40 x 25m front crawl for me this morning no run today, tempo and short recovery run tomorrowimage.

My aim is to go as far as possible under 3hrs, I did 2:58:18 last year. Things over the last few weeks have started to come together I just hope the heat of last year stays away and we can have a cool one. See you all in Chandos for a pint, I travel over from Northern Ireland on the Friday and will go stright to the expoimage.

• No pain - do you fly into Gatwick? Is the journey from Gatwick to the excel easy? I think Id still rather attempt it late Friday with a suitcase than Saturday.
    Im staying at home and getting my club coach to the start the morning of the race - it's an early start but I've been practising for it on my Sunday long runs so should be ok. Plus it takes a lot of the thinking out of it.
  • hey guys

good running going on guys!!

sorry I've been missing in action been a busy old week last week at work what with the world and his wife jetting off on holiday it was rather busy at Heathrow...

Now I'm just awaiting the onset of taper maddness as Brighton is a little over 2 weeks for me eeeeeekkkkk!!

• Hi Guys,

I did 17m this weekend so can definitely say I will be at the mudchute closer to 3 hours than the 2:45 I'd previously said.
    Sounds like most of you will be well finished by the time I shuffle over the finishing line!

Not long now image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Biscuit Nikki We get the Gatwick express train into Victoria our hotel is not far from the finish so I'll drop off my bags then go to the Expo. We are staying for 5 days and nights again and enjoy the trip every year.

VikW enjoy the taper all the hard works been done.

7 miles Tempo this morning.

• Thanks for the info.

On a separate note - my knee (just the right one) has started cracking, ver quietly, when i walk upstairs.  Seems to have developed since Sunday's race.  ITB feels a little tight but not too bad and I've been foam rolling, which I do anyway. Any ideas from you experienced marathon runners? It's not painful - just a bit disconcerting and put me off running last night just in case. I'm sorting out a sports massage for next week anyway as an 'MOT' so if it's still occuring I'll mention it then.

• Blimey i've been so busy i've missed most of this thread after originaly posting on it on page 1, its took me 2 days to read through it all lol, I have made a note of the pub where we all meet after ( very important information lol )

updating my info now

Forum Name - HannahsmomUK
    Name on T.shirt Jo
    Race number 39087
    estimated time at mudshute, I have to say i'm slow, so would say 4 hours, I think i will be the last runner past so hopefully people can hang on for me

I intend to go to Expo on Sat morning or afternoon and will put some gels and jelly babies in an envelope thank you

thank you for organising this, it is very much appreciated

I did 18miles 2 weeks ago and found it really comfortable, everything went like a dream, did 20miles last friday and it all went belly up, my right knee caved in after the canal i normally run along was all fenced off and had to go over waste ground and jarred my knee at 9miles, the next 11miles were pure agony but i made it doing a mixture of walk run i'm afraid and finished in 4hours.

this week i have managed to pull my back doing some voluntary work at the firestation of all things ( yep i'm not cut out to give firemans lifts lol ) so been resting it for last 2 days and thankfully feels ok today

I am going down to Brighton next week and shall be there for the Brighton Marathon

so if anyone wants me to cheer them on please give me their name and race number, i would love to cheer you on

I am going to be standing at mile 7 and mile 14 at Brighton and shall be hanging around the clock tower at Preston park on the morning of the race, you should be able to spot me as i have my 3 children with me and my eldest daughter has Down's syndrome

Mick n Phil would be great to see you again, this time in role reversal seeing as i was cheering you at Gloucester last time

OK think i'm done, i'm excited, nervous and this weekend i plan to run about 10miles and see how i go then taper time!!