Support Group 6

Comments

• I have done my entire 3 day carb load today. Salad all the way now!!image
  • Good luck at Brighton! Hope the weather is OK
  • Have a blast Foxy Lady!

Hope you enjoy every step.
  • kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Good luck!!!! Foxy lady - can't wait to hear how super you were!
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to say hello from Group 3 and to share the love.  How is everybody getting on?  I've heard form other threads that FL did very well yesterday.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Supercaz - *waves*

We're all still waiting to hear how FL got on (i'm sure that she PB'ed it! image).

How's everyone's nerves? I have to admit that reading some of the new threads about VLM is giving me more nerves than i imagined!

• Hi. Everything is great over here! No nerves at all here and PBs expected from everyone (except me). We haven't heard from FL yet. She's probably basking in glory and sipping a fine wine right now.
  • Emmy_bug

Yes, a bit nervous here too and I feel confidence slipping away.......

Did 12 miles yesterday at expected marathon pace, but slowed down at the end. Now I'm thinking I can't keep up the pace for 26.2 image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@El Gato - That's the taper doing crazy stuff to your brain and body. It's your sub conscious preparing your body because it knows what's coming (or it think it does!).

I managed a 10 miler yesterday and felt like crap until the last mile when it seemed to gel and work. My biggest worry is starting off too fast.... i'm petrified of getting lost in the moment and storming ahead!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Oh Mick.... I've nearly had a heart attack with the excitement for hearing that tune!

6 days!! image

• Emmy_bug

Yes, I started too fast at Edinburgh a couple of years ago. Was OK up until 22 miles, then just got slower and slower, and started falling over. Luckily two guys just held me up long enough to go over the finish line. I still don't know who they were. It was frightening.

So, the rule is, keep to the pace you plan for until much later in the race, then speed up if it feels OK.

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Saw Foxy Lady twice yesterday and she looked like she was having a very. good. time.  image
  • Afternoon lovelies!! Just popping in to give a bit of a wave image

Foxy, Kate & Frodo - let me know if you need anything, PM me if you want my mobile number for any just in case scenarios on Sunday.

5 SLEEPS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Whooooooop!

I have been in a zen like calmness the last two days.

Sadly, that is no longer the case.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Happy Chap- Flat footed said it was you! Nice to see some Pirates out there.

All went well thanks guys: 4:01:28 and very pleased. Nice average 9.10mm. Conditions were great, supporters fab and SO worth having a tshirt with your name especially one like Foxy Lady- really helped.

Thought of you all as I ran passed Mile 17, think I'll be in the better place next Sunday.

My ankle pretended to hurt at the beginning but I had words and my dodgy calf was dodgy for most of it but was checked at the end by a Fizz and told nothing serious so iced it in the pub.

Great organisation and atmosphere and I am very happy and just about managing stairs forwards! Not sure about tomorrow but sports massage booked (wibble).

First timers, if we have any, cannot prepare you for the emotions- nearly cried a few times and did at the end. But have some lovely happy pics of me and a beer and a medal.

imageimageimage

And thanks Supercaz! And El gato- sadly was back to work today.... so no fine wines at lunch time.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Foxy  - YAY!  CONGRATS! Brillant time and very very envious of it.

I'm a first timer.  Complete and utter novice. Already starting to cry!

• There was no logic to the crying, apart from the end! Although was a bit stressed at start as running partner and I failed to meet up but then he found me at Mile 3 and we ran until Mile 15 when he was fading a bit.
  • alkialki ✭✭✭

Well done Foxy - you're definitely in the better place (for us image ) on Sunday. 

And the emotions never get any better I find (I'm hoping its sunny so I can hide behind my sunnies again!!)

• So glad to hear from you Foxy Lady!!

Great run be proud!
  • Well done FL, if you were feeling emotional at 17 hopefully the smell and road to hell around 21 gave you some distraction. Great time on a windy and quite congested course. I took my medal and t shirt for a pint too. Really looking forward to being on the other side of the fence on Sunday. I might do what the chap did around 6/9, and take a saucepan lid and wooden spoon to bang, he looked as happy as a sandboy.

So runners, the niggles are more in your head than your legs, don't start doing anything different training and eating wise now, look at how the heat in Boston today affected the results, be prepared to change your goals if necessary for the conditions. Nerves are good, it means the race means something to you, get a good nights sleep on Friday so a few lost hours on Saturday mean nothing, pack the night before and double check several times, be prepared to enjoy it, and make sure you smile or grimace when you see us!

• And don't walk up a big hill at any point his week as that is what did for my calf!! Otherwise ditto to KateF!  The chap with the saucepan did look happy, but I think I did most of the time apart from possibly the souless hell of Shoreham power station!
  • nervous not sure what pace to try..

on a funny note , my shorts and top are packed. wore my virgin shorts today and OMG they left nothing to the imagination ladies!!!!!!!!!!

pace - ambitious - 9mm > , 10mm or 11mm hmm

• Dave, what are some recent race times?
  • Hi Foxy,

I'll be trying to go for around 10 mm I think, About 7 weeks of my training was done with a hip niggle and chin splints in left leg and my times were 11-12mm!!

before and after my runs of 8 to 15 miles have been around 10mm, Upto 8 miles at 9mm,, 4miles and under at 8.5 to 9mm.

I think my strategy is going to be to do 10mm as long as poss, would love to find the RW 10mm pace person, If I could do 15-20 miles at 10mm fab then if required do 11mm to get a marathon time of around 4hrs 30 would be super . I'd buy that extra medal thingy then too!!

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    The thing that got me on my first London were the charity runners with pictures and message on the back of their tshirts. Running in memory of... Etc. I cried a lot in that first one just reading them all.
  • Morning all! Remind me to pick up the Veggie Percy Pigs to take to the Expo tomorrow, won't you? (Jelly Baby alternative image) If I forget, I'll have a few packets to chew my way through..image
  • Happy Chap- thanks for all the shout outs btw! Sorry you are poorly but nice to see you 2 on Sunday.

HAving done a fair few races I am failry immune to the charity tshirts, just the odd things seemed to set me off, can't even remember now.... fear maybe!

• Here's where you'll see us on the day. At about 16 and three quarter miles there's a sharp left turn at the Lord Nelson pub, and you start to head back towards the towers of Canary Wharf. We're a few hundred meters up the road. Last year we were on the right hand side - in the picture, if you can see the pelican crossing, we were just before there. Of course, there will be banners, balloons, and people bouncing up and down on the day image.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/13234/Gallery/Mudchute_6.JPG