Chronic Cardio

"Chronic cardio" - this term seems to be all over the place at the moment or is it just me? Try typing it into google.

The chronic cardio theory seems to be that doing any long aerobic exercise on a regular basis will result in your almost certain and near-instantaneous death (and even worse, you wont get a six-pack in the process).

An example  from the CrossFit Mean Streets gym in LA:  Chronic Cardio is Forcing Your Body to Kill You and How You Can Save Yourself

Is this the start of a back-lash against running, triathlon, etc, which after all have seen a massive rise in popularity in the last 10/20 years?

Comments

• The problem with that article is that the thing it is trying to flog ALSO causes cortisol build up. Body building with 6 reps of some massive bench press does too. As does going out in the rain without a hat on. Any type of physical stress.

It's like these paleo/atkins/cabbage and nettlejuice diet bellends. They want a quick fix, and if there's some pseudo science behind the snake oil then all the better.
  • I'm sure you're right.

I see a lot of articles where people just seem to be trying to justify the type of exercise / diet that they have already chosen to do.

For example the 'chronic cardio' term comes from a book Primal Blueprint which advocates diet and exercise apparently based on the lifestyle of our hunter-gatherers ancestors. The people who follow this lifestyle have a bit of a problem with the idea that humans evolved to run long distances so that they could hunt by wearing down their prey. So they just came up with the theory that in hot climates animals wouldn't be able to run for more than 15 minutes and so they humans chasing them never would have had to run for longer than 15 minutes either. Brilliant!

• LOL!  That rather falls over whaen you see how bushmen ACTUALLY hunt prey animals in Africa. 

The chase is more like 2 or 3 days than 15 minutes!  And it's jog/walk, just to keep the animal in sight and in constant panic until it collapses from thirst. 

Presumably these bushmen are just lazy, and the ones a few thousand years ago went jog/walk/plank/star jumps/press ups/hop backwards/jog/walk/repeat

They probably gave 110% effort too, and shouted "klck g-pk tk tk klptckpt"... which is ancient bushman for "PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY"

Either that, or these paleo bellends are just a bunch of risible twunts

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    candy ollier wrote (see)

Presumably these bushmen are just lazy, and the ones a few thousand years ago went jog/walk/plank/star jumps/press ups/hop backwards/jog/walk/repeat

Fcukin brilliant!  That's such a picture.

• Everytime you run your body thinksyou're being chased by a lion?!! Brilliant. I laughed so much I almost had a massive heart attack.

I'm off to eat some raw antelope and throw some rocks around. only safe thing to do in the circumstances.

• DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    All that Crossfit/HIT seems to be the rage at the moment. And Zumba.
  • Gym tabata (another current HIT fad):

1. For twenty seconds, do as many reps as possible, or run, bike as hard as you can
    2. Rest for ten seconds
    3. Repeat seven more times!

Must burn about the same number of calories you get in a KitKat.

Designed for those who hate cardio to be able to pat themselves on the back and say they're working much harder than those people who run for two hours. 

Not convinced how good this is for your heart, personally.

This video is very enjoyable, too. Not recommended to be eating or drinking when you start to watch it image

Crossfit

• Interestingly, they just found some cave paintings in Ethiopia which appear to show early, pre-human hominids playing on a Wii Fit.
  • Previously discovered cave paintings show them gathering cod liver oil tablets and hunting down tubs of whey protein.