why won't my groin adductor injury heal??

2»

Comments

• Hi

I found this thread after suffering a groin injury which feels more like a tear. Ive had this for 5 weeks now and initially got it through football. I play footy about 4 times a week but nothing since the injury. It feels like someone has 'stabbed' me in the right groin area. Although the initial sharp pain has gone I now have a secondary ache as if it is trying to heal. I feel it more in bed when I turn the affected area or make sudden leg movements. I have gone to a physio who did massage and to do some excerisesand take ibuprofen but still the pain has not gone away. I wouldn't chance even a jog due to knowing the pain would come back although find I can do cycle and some weights in the gym.

My next steps is to go to the GP for further advice. Has anyone got any advice other than this? I'd hate to stop playing football. For your info I am 44
  • Hi im going through the same thing.I got injured while playing soccer.I kicked the ball as hard as i could and i just collapsed i've been going through this for over 6 months now and i dont see any signs of improvements can someone please help me?
    Im open to all suggestions as long as it helps!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    What does the physio say?
  • Hi
    Your Adductor will not heal ---
    Not while you are using it !!
    The only way I can now relieve the pain is to lay on my side in the fetal position.
    After years of so called Professional help I have found that the only way I could have saved my legs would have been in hospital for 5-8 weeks without moving around.
    The adductor has run out of oil like on a steering push rod of a cars steering --
    the ball joint has dried - connecting the leg bone to the muscle.
    Each movement forces the 'ball joint' to move causing pain as the muscle tries to push it causing the Ball Joint to wear a little more.
    Just sitting still you are constantly using the muscles to stop you tilting over.
    Going round a corner in a car will get to be unbearable.

Rest for weeks is the only option - or it will never heal.
  • Parklife- Can you give an update for this injury?

I'm 25 years old and I've been dealing with a similar injury for years (around 5). I've gone through times where I can try to baby the injury and keep my running light and easy and get away with it. But once I try to take it up a notch everything comes right back.

My right adductor/groin area is almost always tight. Its a pain that seems to build up the more I push myself. A couple years ago I had this looked at and spent tons of money on physical therapy, Xrays, MRIs, and doctor after doctor. The last appointment I had I was ingected with the steriod treatment (2014). This was only a temporary fix as the injury came right back.

I gave up on the doctors and the physical therapy and tried to live with it. It might be worth noting My mobility in my left hip is far less than in my right. Although it is my right leg that gives me problems.

I recently went back to the gym and felt this start all over again. I ran 1 mile and did some squats. Nothing too crazy. Before I go back to another doctor I wanted to see how everything we with you. Hopefully you were finaly able to get this all sorted out!

Thanks
  • Hi all,

I would like some advice on this injury. I am 44 and have always kept myself relatively fit, 5-a-side football, regular gym, lifting weights etc.

About 6 months ago playing indoor football I developed pain in my abductor muscles. I specifically remember crouching quickly (perhaps like a hockey player would to strike the ball) to change direction.
    At the time I didn't hear or feel anything although I do remember a dull ache in my abductors the next day.

After a few weeks out (Sept-Oct) I returned to gentle 5k jogging on the treadmill. After one particular session I decided to squat 60kg ( I hadn't squat in months but this weight was always fine for me) I only managed 3 or 4 reps and the last one was a struggle to get back up. My legs were sore for a few days after but I was able to resume jogging as normal.

For a few months after this period I got a soft dull pain where my abductor muscles meet the pelvic bone. The top and back of my hamstrings were tender/sore if pushed/massaged but that has since subsided slightly and I am now left with a dull ache in my abductors - I can particularly notice the pain when squeezing my knees together when sat in a chair.

Today, I can still run/jog without pain but feel slightly inhibited if I try to sprint or increase pace quickly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
  • Reigate - a) rest and b) see a physio. You don't want to make it worse. Best to know what is going on so you can take steps to treat it.
  • Hey Guys 

Its been years since the first post and previous ones but just wanting to talk to someone about the condition 

personally I was playing AFL  (I’m from Australia ) and did my groin and got treatment at the club and kept playing on it which maybe wanst the best idea but as long as I was getting the treatment and pain killers I could play 

anyway down the track it became worse and I’ve had pains 24/7 I saw a physio and he gave me stretches and it came good but after getting back into what I use to do it became worse again (Jan2019) and haven’t recovered since now (July2019) I feel the same after treatment from physio chiro and accupuncture .... I saw the doc and got an ultrasound but they said nothing came back and was told to go back to the physio 

I try to exercise with walking and weights as the physio said do what you can without aggrevating the area and physically I’ve lost my shape put on weight and was eating poorly because I felt sorry for myself but anyway I’ve turned that around done what exercise I can do and eating better 

sorry for the rant but any advice would be amazing I’m seeing the physio every 2nd week still and chiro to crack my back because I have back soreness as well 
  • I've been through the groin strain injury and got to the other side, and I've spoken to other runners with similar stories; it always seems to be the same story - it's a long process and there's no quick fix. Most sources on the web and doctors will tell you to rest completely or at least rest from any activity that causes any pain to the injured area. For me, I had races booked in advance almost every sunday for months, including a couple of 42kms and a couple of trail races, and I ran every one, finished them all and won a few age group prizes and one or two overalls, but the groin was sore the day after the race. This running probably slowed down the healing process and after one of the 42kms I did feel (but couldn't see) bruising in lower stomach which I had not felt before during the previous few months of the injury. I think it would have been better to run the races at a slower pace (assuming I had to run them at all), and some sources on the web say that running occasionally is okay but you mustn't push too hard or too far and you mustn't overstride in particular; short, frequent strides are better as they don't stretch the muscles as much. I also used to walk a lot and I used to use walking as a sort of training exercise - I used to walk as fast as I could with long strides. The long strides probably contributed to the cause of the injury.

Eventually when I had 3 weeks off from races, I could run pain free, that was after about 6 months total (march - august). I'd tried the 2-3 weeks off things earlier in the injury and it hadn't worked then.

In all this time my 10k time went from about 35.5 minutes to 36.5 minutes, but when you are not running 5 times a week and only running once on a weekend in a race, it's to be expected.

I like to swim but this is not possible with a groin injury (in fact I believe the swimming probably attributed to the injury in the first place, I was swimming 1km 3-4 times a week). It's the constant kicking that does it. I also used to pool walk, which I read is one of the worst things you can do to trigger or make groin strains worse. I found that cycling was probably the best exercise to maintain fitness whilst not being able to run. Also the elliptical machine is a good one to do and that's the one that most closely resembles the running motion.

If you have a gym membership you can use the machines to try and check exactly which muscle is injured, for example they have adductor machines and abductor machines - use them and see which one hurts. The sit up machine as well. If you don't have a gym membership you can squeeze a ball between your legs, or lie on your back and raise both legs at the same time. And sneezing will usually make you spasm too, you have to tense your diaphragm before you sneeze if you can.

A lot of people saying see a physio but they're just going to tell you to rest. Most groin strains are from overuse. Yes they may be able to show you exactly where the strain is and give it a proper medical name, but ultimately you already know what you have - a groin strain, and the treatment for any strain is always to stop doing the activity that caused the injury, and rest (aside from severe cases where surgery might be necessary, but you will probably know if you have a severe tear because you will have bruising and won't be able to do many daily tasks without pain) maybe with some basic strengthening exercises thrown in.

Ultimately I think if you have an average groin strain, not too serious, it should heal within a couple of months IF you completely rest it, but it is almost impossible to completely rest your groin. You can't sit in bed all day and any activity is going to aggravate it slightly. You have to limit activity as much as you can and try and stick to exercise that doesn't use the affected muscles. If you are careful with how you manage it then a realistic timescale might be 3-4 months. If you are like me and still running occasionally then maybe 6 months. Some people on the web have stories of years of this injury, basically neverending, I'm no doctor but if something is not healing that surely indicates either you are using it too much or your body is not strong enough to repair the muscle. Keep eating a varied healthy diet, eating junk processed foods will slow down your recovery. Some sources say to avoid medications like ibrupofen as although it reduces short-term swelling it actually slows down long-term recovery.

Good luck.
  • I've been suffering from a groin strain for nearly 3 years. Seen 3 or 4 physiotherapists over that time and been doing the various exercises they gave which mainly seem designed to stengthen my glutes. The pain is not as sharp and I can usually run up to around 10K without much issue. Whenever I do a marathon the second half is always a struggle as it becomes painful and takes me about 2 hours 30 mins when I've done 2 hours for the first 13 miles. At the start of 2017 I ran 4 sub 3:30 marathons including a 3:23 at the London Marathon when I had just turned 60 - it's been all down hill since then. Due to the lock down I've only ran 2 marathons this year and had about 6 cancelled or postponed so far. I used to run about 50 miles a week in training but can barely manage 30 these days so have lost a lot of fitness and gained some weight which is also a factor in my reduced pace. I'm thinking of stopping running for a few months now to see if that will help. Should I aslo stop cycling, swimming and walking? When my gym opens again are the abductor and adductor machines a good idea?