Fatigue

I'm back into my training nicely - but could not go for my scheduled run last night as my whole body felt heavy and fatigued. I now feel as though i've blown the whole thing by not going out last night, as i can't get out this evening due to other commitments.

Did i do the right thing by taking a rest when i should have been running, or should i have taken a gentle jog to keep the momentum up? I'm only doing two miles every other day but have planned to step it up to three miles on Saturday.

Pitiful distance i know, but i am a proper beginner on my third attempt - and this time i have a 10k booked for May 27th, which i know i can do. I just think i've let myself down by taking a rest!!

Comments

• Morning Dean - it's just one run so don't beat yourself up! How about next time you feel that bad you get changed, set off walking and then see if you feel like jogging/running after 10 minutes or so. 

If you just end up walking the route you've still had a bit of exercise which may act as a recovery session. Sometimes, I set off tired but find that after 5 to10 minutes I actually feel ok, other days I don't.  Getting out the door is half the battle and one of those things that becomes habit after a while.

Don't give up - everyone has to start somewhere!  I usually operate to  the principle that if I can do 90% of my schedule - I'll be ok!

Good luck with the 10k - just keep at it and you'll be fine! image

• I think if you are really that tired then you did the right thing listening to your body and resting - don't beat yourself up about it.

just get back to training when you can- a couple of days off when you are tired can only do you good not harm. 

also, you might like to consider a more varied training schedule to help keep it fresh and interesting  - there's a good couple here that fit in with the 8 weeks before your 10k 

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-8-week-10k-schedule-3-days-per-week/76.html

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-8-week-10k-schedule-5-days-per-week/75.html

• If you are a proper beginner, you shouldn't go out running more than 3-4 days. So, two days off is in schedule actually! image

Here's a theory by Dr Lipman: When you overwork your body you are not allowing it to recover. When you keep on beating your body (causing that way minor damages to your muscles and tendons) the fascia is getting tight(er) and constricted. That can cause that feeling of heaviness and fatigue (stiffness and pains are to follow). So, days off in your training and proper streching (after your sessions) will help you avoid days like yesterday.. But when you do, a mild exercise (a bit of jogging as SB suggested, or cycling which is the perfect cross training) will help you recover. image

Btw, 2 miles for a beginner is not pitiful distance by any means.. image Most people start with 1min running / 1 min walking mind you...

• I'd be so much better if i was more disciplined!! But i like bad food too much and don't ever see me swapping a caramel slice for a banana!! My diet is eratic to say the least - i'm probably a good stone overweight, and don't eat any set diet - more just what i want when i want!!

Are there any recommended nutrition books from anyone?

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Dean, you definitely did the right thing not running. I went out for a long slow 13 miles a couple of years ago after building my mileage up but just didn't feel good, and after 2 miles i was really feeling crap. The legs were heavy, but i plodded on and completed the run, only to completely wipe myself out and then the next two weeks of my schedule were ruined.

A work colleague, and very good runner (10k pb 28mins!!) told me to forget the run if i felt like that. He said he'd experience it himself and stopped after a couple of miles on a marathon training run, turned around, and walked home.

Sometimes we just need to take a rest, and listen to our bodies, as others have said.

With the current mileage you're running the only difference it will make is you'll be rested and ready for your next run.

As far as the diet goes, its really down to you. Do you want to lose the weight or no? I'm around a stone over my fighting weight (lost 6lbs in the last month) and determined to succeed, which means i will.

Good luck.

• Completely agree with Just Run.

I did exactly the same thing a few weeks weeks ago. It was my last big run before my first half marathon. I felt really tired but made myself do the run. The run itself was horrible and I was knackered after two miles so you can imagine how I felt after 10 miles! Anyway, needless to say, I was completely fatigued for 2 weeks, I went to work then went home to bed, I had no energy what so ever. If I had listened to my body in the first place, my final weeks of preparation would have ran a lot smoother. Needless to say I've learned my lesson!

I think it's just a case of noticing the difference between when it's a motivation issue ie you can't be bothered to run and when your body is actually tired which can be quite tricky. The tips provided above can help us all with that.

Good luck with training for the 10K Dean, it will all be worth it once you cross that finish line. I completed my first half marathon yesterday and I can tell you that there is no feeling like it!
  • Having a rest seemed to do the trick - i went out on friday and struggled again, but last night i went out and did just under 3.5 miles non stop jogging and felt fine. I decided not to wear a watch and just do what i could do - it's so much easier when i wasn't pressurising myself with a clock.

Eve_C - thanks for your encouragement, it's always nice to get the advice from people who have been where i am!