Team GB Olympic kit

124»

Comments

• nick Holmes 5 wrote (see)

More red than any Olympics kit since 1984, and at least it has a flag which is more than the Beijing or Athens kits did.

Stop winging and start supporting ... I for one love it!

I'd be surprised if it does have more red - if you take socks and shoes out of the equation  (as with the gymnast or Ellie Simmonds - paralympic swimmer) there's barely any.  You could even argue it doesn't have a flag - no nation uses it as far as I'm aware.  I've nothing against it as a piece of kit, but if you are going to put something on it linked to the union flag, it should be the correct colours in my opinion.

It's a pretty cheap tactic to dismiss anyone with an opinion different from your own as whinging (or "winging").
  • Actually looking back I'm struck by how little red there is in the Olympic kit in recent years, so I'll concede that point - the kit I had in mind was from World or European champs.  I suspect part of the reason that didn't bother people much was because it wasn't a case of not having red where you'd expect to see it.
  • Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
    I was perusing jess ennis's kit and I observed the Adidas logo is quite a bit bigger than the "Team GB" logo.
    her kit has logo's on it ??????????   Wow, how did I miss that    imageimageimage
  • You need to look for quite a while before you can pick it out.
  • I like it. I think it is good to be a bit different, and if you look at some of the kit, there is a shit load of red in the socks and shoes. Typical of British folk never to be happy. If it had a massive union jack on the front, totally unblemished, folk would say it is too boring no doubt. We're good at moaning, so they could have represented that better i think image
  • Lee the Pea wrote (see)
    I like it. I think it is good to be a bit different, and if you look at some of the kit, there is a shit load of red in the socks and shoes. Typical of British folk never to be happy.
    Eh?   British people are never happy? Any evidence that that's true? 

This doesn't only apply to you Lee, but I really don't get this thing where some people just call others "whingers" or "moaners" everytime they express a view that isn't 100% positive. Are people only allowed to express yay it's all wonderful views?

If it had a massive union jack on the front, totally unblemished, folk would say it is too boring no doubt. 
    Again - you've made something up that you have no evidence for! There's been kits with a flag on before and...no big outcry about how boring it is.
  • I think Lee makes a good point - we love to moan; especially us cynical lot on here.  It is just kit at the end of the day and as long as the people who have to wear it like it as a bit of tech clothing then it's job done.  Should they win a medal while wearing it, we'll still be happy.
  • Someone asked what we thought of the kit and people replied, I doubt anyone's really going to start a campaign in protest or lose any sleep, I'm certainly not.

And why shouldn't people moan if that's the way they genuinely feel?

"We love to moan" - I can think of people who I suspect do get a kick out of it but I don't think it's fair to put everyone expressing a non positive view as in this camp

• <pokes head round door>

I like the kit. image 

• IMHO, I don't see that expressing an opinion, even a negative one = moaning.

I dislike the kit, I'm not moaning about it.

Just as I dislike brussel sprouts.  But I'm not moaning about them.

Mind you, I also dislike the ConDems and David Cameron - now that is moaning.

• "We love to moan" - evidence? Take your pick image

The negativity thing is a very British trait.  Just look back over the whole Olympic thing since it was awarded to London.  Criticism of it being in London, the design of the stadia, the logo and mascots (which, to be fare, are shite), complaints that facilities weren't finished with several years left to go, comments about GB only winning at posh sports, the cost, the exploitation of commercial partnerships to off set some of those costs, transport etc the list goes on.  

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Just to get the positivity quotient up a bit... my dad likes it.
  • I quite like it and I think it would be boring if it had the flag in its normal colours. It's certainly far better than the Beijing 2008 kit.
  • What are we supposed to do? Accept that 20 billion of our cash is being spunked on a 3 week party and grin and bear it? It's our taxes so we can say what we like!
  • That's a valid debate JB.  It's all the petty negativity I'm on about.

I worked with a guy who was once referred to as someone who, if he won the lottery, would complain that it was paid out in fivers.   Often our debates on here on small stuff goes down that route.  Just sayin' 'sall.

• I have mixed feelings on the whole thing. The Olympics is gruesomely bloated and needs cutting down to size.

The IOC is more powerful than many small countries and that can't be right.

*sigh*
  • Jeepers wrote (see)

IMHO, I don't see that expressing an opinion, even a negative one = moaning.

This.  I guess this is what irks me - perfectly valued opinions are dismissed as moaning.  It goes far wider than the kit issue.  There seems to be a bit of a meme about that people should only express positive opinions or there's something wrong with them.

This is a really interesting book on the topic.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think there's also a tendency to form a skewed idea about how strongly people feel about a subject due to the misinterpretation of several mild opinions being equivalent to one very strong one.  Essentially, quite a number of people, when asked, think that the new GB Olympic kit is a little disappointing.  I don't suppose anyone who has expressed this opinion is losing any sleep over it or written to their MP in disgust, yet other people somehow visualise these mild-mannered individuals as being some sort of collective baying mob.

Happens all the time on t'web, doesn't it.  Especially when one person has an opinion which goes against the majority opinion.  All of a sudden, everyone who holds the majority opinion is part of some sort of clique.  Give it another two or three pages of pie-slinging and inevitably Godwin's Law is invoked.

What was the question?  This wine is excellent...

• and just in case you think the athletes have it bad .. check this out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2119603/The-Olympics-clothes-horses-Bizarre-bright-coloured-suits-cover-equine-contenders.html

i do apologise, for some reason the linky thing doesn't work for me
  • I am in no way suggesting towing the line. I have already given my opinion on the misuse of our flag.  And of course everyone is entitled to opinion.

The danger is when all we can ever see are problems rather than giving things a go.  Just try saying yes every now and then.  Not something I find easy either I must add.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Compression socks for horses????
  • The only person who looks good in it, apart from Jess Ennis, is Andy Murray but we all know he's not British.

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭

I do like the strip but can understand why people think there should be more red.

But, look at the pictures fr the girls in their shorts. Do you really think that red would look good in those places?