Options

5K - for anyone else who's been told it's easy

2»

Comments

• Options

Hi all, I posted on the beginners thread and thought I'd hop on here too, I'm just starting out so 5k is my first goal, signed up to the gym and my first run will be on Friday, I'm looking forward to it as I've had enough of feeling unfit.  Well done to everyone who's made it and good luck to all those still trying.

• Options

candowilldo, are you running at the gym, or are you outdoors?

• Options

Hi Di Newton, for now I'll be at the gym doing a whole range of cardio work to build up my base fitness and will then start to incorporate running outdoors, I love being outside so I'm looking forward to getting out and running.

• Options

Great stuff. I don't got to a gym but am running 6 miles for my longest run each week. I've just started pilates, which I hope will help too. I've done one 5k and am entering Pudding Race 10k in December. Loads of time to prepare (I hope).

You can just call me Di! x

• Options

Cheers Di, I'm not totally new to running I used to go to the gym quite regularly but havn't done anything serious for over four years, and I've never ran outdoors.  Looking through the threads here it seems there's plenty of people to gain inspiration and advice from.

Well done on your progress so far, how long has it taken you to get to 6miles?

Im Mark by the way

• Options

imageNone of it matters!...forget the doubters!...anyone who puts their trainers on and gets out the door and does their thing is a runner!

Time to give each other a pat on the back, quick smile and get out there!!! 

End of April I was 76.1kg tried to run 1.5 miles and saw my dinner for the second time, felt a total loser...I am ex Army so this was a real wake up call...

So far am now 69.5kg....running about 20 miles a week...fast nope...enjoying it...HELL YEAH!

Were all running GODS and those who don't should kneel down and praise our achievements!!! come the revolution..they'll pay for their ridicule!!!!image

• Options

Hi Dave, your passionate about this then? I've not been ridiculed yet but if I am I'll refer them to you......

• Options

Mark, I started in May and have completed the couch to 5k (6 weeks), now I am nearly done with the 5k to 10k (7 weeks). I intend to carry on as long as the body will let me!

The only person I have to beat is myself. Running outdoors is brilliant.

• Options

Well when I was last at the gym a long time ago the most I ran on a tredmill was 5k in 29 mins so I'd like to get back to that level to start with then venture outsideimage

• Options

Morning Makr, that sounds great. I run very early in the morning to avoid heat, traffic etc. It is so peaceful. The other morning I found a pushbike. Reported it to the police and they say if it isn't claimed in 28 days I get to keep it!image

• Options

Morning!! so tonight is my first trip to the gym, I'll complete 5k weather I have to run, walk, or crawl ha ha, so Di if you get to keep the bike your two thirds of your way to a triathlon!! 

My sister is an open water swimmer and coach and she's going to be giving me some pointers on the swimming side of things, that's something else I'm looking forward to once I improve my fitness level.  Mt father in law is a distance runner so no doubt I'll be  spending more time with him when I start running out door's.... 

• Options

Hi Mark, good luck in the gym tonight. It's a long time since I've ridden a bike and my swimming was always a bit like a dead fish! Have a good day. Let us know how it goes tonight.

• Options

So, just got back from the gym, i'm knackered!!  its amazing how unfit I feel, I did my 5k in 38mins 21seconds so now I have something to beat.  Time for a shower then bed.

• Options

Well done, Mark. That sounds really good for the first time in however long. Make sure you give your body time to recover tomorrow. Have a good weekend. My next run is on Sunday. My niece is training for a half marathon, so I go along and do 10k while she is running silly distances!