Options

Valencia marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

14 miles tomorrow, so will hopefully give me a good indication of where I am at fitness and endurance wise, just need to shed another stone that will make a big difference,

• Options

14 miles yesterday and I'm not hurting too much today - woop!

Hopefully go for sub 1h45 in Cardiff next month.

15-16miles next week. Also a tempo 8 miler on Wednesday

• Options

nice work fellas, I've ealing half next weekend then oxford half in four weeks.

I started my MP sessions today with the first 60mins of 90 just under MP. cant say it felt particularly comfortable but we still have 8 weeks yet image Also managed some intervals sunday evening after a wee bit of triathlon racing in the morning. hopefully on track

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/224205857

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/223514878

• Options

Just got my number for Bristol half, aiming for sub 1:45 - although life is conspiring to try and stop me training, hey ho, might have to get up very early from now on to get the miles in, oh and am now on the wagon until an hour after we finish valenica......

• Options

valencia is comming round the corner fast!

good to see the interest

am also going for the elusive sub 3 hour David i gotta shave 7 minutes tho we will do it! Am in the cardiff area is anyone flying closer to home than stansted??

• Options

Nope am in Cardiff as well were flying from Gatwick on Sat morning.

Just done 16 miles imm 2:27, not to painful, last mile was a struggle, but don't feel to shabby....

Can anyon reccomend a phyio/sports massage person in Cardiff area, just need to give the legs a but of a tune up and a treat for keeping me going, any suggestions gratefully received!

Mt

• Options

Gatwick you say i shall take a look thanks. Iam gonna pay more for petrol and parking than for the price of the flight tho suppose there are other ways and means. Am not gonna complain to much before someone adds a few pence on.

Never really delved into the massage sphere of things moose always practiced stretching alot when hot with a foam roller if you suffer from ITB tho sure you know this. Theres a good running shop called run and become down near the main bus station its on the stadium side of the train tracks near a chinise resteraunt I bet they could point you in the right direction for a great physio.

I get accutpuncture on my lower back stiffness it works a treat! maybe this will turn your logs back into legs lol. I may do yoga soon too but am not convinced just yet. good luck for training everyone

• Options

Sub 3 hrs! Fair play guys. I'll never get near that! Really looking forward to Cardiff half next month, don't want to push myself to fast though, got to do a 20 miler the following week!

• Options

morning fellas, good to see there is a bit more interest in this . Yep Huw, ive never gone sub 3 either, best i managed was 3:05 last october in amsterdam with perfect running conditions. My last 6 maras have avg 3:06 so i'm building a bit of a mental block on the sub 3 which i need to snap out of. Ive the leg speed and can usually hold upto 20miles then i seem to fade thereafter. I've done bags of multisport endurance and racing all year so hopefully i can eek out a bit more time in Valencia. I'm doing a 5k parkrun this AM then 20miles tomorrow.

Simon, never say never, i used to think sub 3:30 was impossible until i started structuring my training. All these mara's and training are stepping stones in the right direction.

I'll be doing a flyby at valencia, dropping in saturday and flying back sunday late evening so hopefully will manage to briefly catch up with some of you for post race beer image

Happy training this weekend fellas!

• Options
    SW16SW16 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Looks like Valencia is a marathon run by lots of Spanish club runners. Taken quite seriously, so looks good for a PB attempt. We know the town quite well from previous visits & its a great place.

Would be nice to poodle round in 3:29 & not feel too knackered, so hoping for a good pacing group followed by a lot of beers/wines & a chilly recovery swim in the sea.

Will definitely be cooler than Marathon du Medoc the other week !

Cheers

• Options

Is anyone taking out any type of running specific insurance ?  Not done a international race before so don't know what the score is, advice anyone ??????

Mt

• Options

Never taken specific running insurance before, i didn't even know you could get it. I'll just stick with my travel ins which i get with lloyds bank account.

Runnings a bit sparse this week after coming home this and finding my house completely flooded from top to bottom, so have been a little preoccupied. Thats one way of getting out of the gnarly interval sessions image

SW16 i'd love to run medoc, how was it?

• Options
    SW16SW16 ✭✭✭

Medoc was damned hot ( 41c in the direct sun ).

We didnt bother with the wine as we thought we'd need all our faculties to survive.

Managed just under 5 hours for a PW by 50 minutes !

But absolutely beautful course apart from the hills, the deep gravel on the Chateaux driveways & the crushed limestone tracks with big stones that gave you blisters & white dust all over the plae image

• Options

booked flights from gatwick to valencia suppose best get a place for the race now!!

MEDOC sounds like a scene out of the film Gladiator!  we are a strange breed I would'nt have it any other way tho no pain no gain lol. il do that race! a feet full of blisters! face full of dust! and a jacobs cream cracker at every water stop. where do  I pay?

I dont think il take any extra insurance out either and covered by my normal package tho il touch wood! probably get taken out by a reversing bin lorry after mile 3 after saying that.

Joking aside. Thats arwfull news about your property Dave I cant imagine how that feels.

• Options

erm..... can anyone help in telling me how they entered the race ive tried every 'register' tab on the website........???!!!

• Options

Thanks Huw, its only stuff and it'll get fixed in time, i was more pissed off that i couldn't get out to train. I had a good Richmond parkrun last weekend with 18:48 and 7th overall and then did a good MP session today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/227984440

so pretty happy with where i am at the moment. Still a few gains to be made before raceday. I'm dropping into ealing half tomorrow to help the Mrs M go under two hours then i'll run home to make it a 3 hr run.

How the rest of you getting on?

• Options

Thanks Huw, its only stuff and it'll get fixed in time, i was more pi***d off that i couldn't get out to train. I had a good Richmond parkrun last weekend with 18:48 and 7th overall and then did a good MP session today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/227984440

so pretty happy with where i am at the moment. Still a few gains to be made before raceday. I'm dropping into ealing half tomorrow to help the Mrs M go under two hours then i'll run home to make it a 3 hr run.

How the rest of you getting on?

• Options
    Bristol HM Today in 1:43:28, wanted to get under 1:45 so really pleased. Even more pleased as watch battery packed up after mile 1, so was guessing at pace and time. 18 miler this week, then Cardiff HM week after, all seems on track so far to get me i n under 4 hours.

Mt
  • Options
    Good work there! And running on feel, even better. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised with you mara time on Valencia. If you can run 1:43 half, you'll smash sub 4.

I ran long today part of which was helping my better half to run sub2 at Ealing half, she ran 1:58, a PB by 27 mins, happy days image
  • Options
    SW16SW16 ✭✭✭

Another 20miler, this time along the canal & back at Leeds this weekend. Very pretty, but for some reason that run simply killed me. Probably too many drinks Saturday night but strangely the wife also found it incredibly hard. Strange when its so flat. Too fast maybe.

• Options
    SW16SW16 ✭✭✭

Well done to the wife, David

• Options

i find 20milers are always a drag and i never really look forward to them, less so if i'm hungover. good work though sw16, its one in the bank. incidentally, what pace do you guys run long. i've tried a few over the years and i'm still not sure whether running say 20secs slower than MP, or 60-90 secs slower makes that much difference to my marathon times.

• Options

I do believe i have just entered the valencia marathon. thankyou SW16 very helpfull link .... what happens now? has anybody recieved a running number through the post or does anyone know is it pick up on the day?

Training wise this end iam trying to increase the milage I jogged a flat 20 miles a couple of weeks back in 3 hours which went well. Iam running congleton half this sunday and will aim for 3 h 20 at liverpool full on the 14th. 

David I would be very proud with myself if I was consistanlty running 3 06, My 3 07 came a few years back at a hilly hastings marathon and to be honest i dont know where it came from. yet I raced the train a tywyn west wales this year and performed very poor a 14 mile race in 2 17. Giving this one a bit more preperation and focus il see what gets 'pulled out of the bag' for me on the day of the race

• Options
    SW16SW16 ✭✭✭
    No I dont think they send you anything in the post.

We had to scour the website for a link to get confirmation that our entry went through ok.

All very up and down, with ITB pain, so expensive physio each week keeping me going. Its only pain!
  • Options

how's it all going fellas. 6 weeks and counting!! finally managed to get a decent week in last week and having a mini taper this week for the oxford half on sunday. Anyone else running this little jaunt?

Huw, isn't that tywyn race off road and uphill? 2:17 on that terrain is a good time in my book.

• Options
    Morning David, all going well here, did 18 miler last week, which was hard work but i think those training runs on your own are tougher in some ways than the race.

Got cardiff half this sunday, would really like to dip under 1:40 mins but course is not as fast as bristol so that may be a bit optimistic. Apart from a slightly numb big toe all seems on track, how is everyone else doing?

Mt
  • Options

Doing 16-17miler tomorrow, then rest up before Cardiff half on Sun, still aiming for sub 1.45 there, getting excited now. Few beers post half marathon, then dry for another 5 weeks, looking forward to an ice cold San Miguel followed by Valencia football in the evening.

• Options
    Good luck to all racing this weekend, looks like weathers good image