Valencia marathon 2012

Comments

• Hi. I think i've entered this, but does anyone know where you can check on the website whether you are definitelty in? I can't find the link to it anywhere, so grateful if anyone who knows where it is could post the link. Thanks.

• I just got a confirmation of entry email
  • Hi all,

I just got a email confrirmation also Alan doesn give you that peace of mind hey.

Tywyn is a tricky off road course true enough David tho once upon a time I beat the train and it comes in at 1 47 ish, tho its beat me twice since. it intrigues me to know what causes the big variation in my finishing times although I suppose losing a trainer in the mud cost me 30 seconds!

completed congleton half with a decent time of 1 30 34 last sunday tho strictly speaking am 34 seconds over time if i want to get under 3 at valencia, its gonna go down to the wire! hope the breeze is blowing the right way in spain.

liverpool marathon on sunday chance to get some miles in the legs and targetting a time around 3 10- 3 15

happy training all, good luck

• bloody great time at congleton Huw, good effort. 34secs is neither here or there really, i'd bank that one as a good omen for valencia. good luck sunday too, keep an eye on your wallet running those scouse streetsimage

i'm running oxford half on sunday and weather forecast good. i'm already on my second friday night beer, gotta make sure those carbs get in the system some how!!

• Really pissed off, woke up this morning to non stop sneezing and rivers of snot, so suspect Cardiff HM tomorrow is looking dodgy for me, see how I feel in morning before making a decision ...
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Nice to see there'll be some UK people there! Me too image

Cardiff Half for me tomorrow too, (my home town) though it'll be a jog as I'm off to do Palma marathon next weekend...

Hope to see some of you for a Cerveza at the finish!

Vamos...
  • Well that went ok, I was hoping to run 1:25 at Oxford half this morning but managed 1:22:28 and 9th AG so well chuffed

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/233252047

I felt really good, the only things I did different were have a packet of salt and vinegar crisps 30 mins before, and ran with my shorts back to front, which I realised one minute before the start :lol:

Hope this time bodes well for Valencia next month.

MoooooooooooseT, how's the cold? Did you manage to race?

How did you go Huw with the mara, hopefully you hit your target.

GeeeM, good to have you on board, the more the merrier, how was the half?
  • Well done David great effort, the power off fried potato is under appreciated in my opinion.

Nope didn't race still sneezing my head off, so gave it a miss, really annoyed as felt in great shape and it is gorgeous day here today, hey ho

Hope everyone else had a good one

Mt
  • Probably best to ease off for a few days, wise choice. It's always frustrating when you're feeling physically, 'on it,' but the enforced rest will definitely do you good.

Eat more crisps!
  • Went for the curry option last night, seems to be helping !
  • 1 22! David I would give you a standing ovation if I never had symmetrical blisters good effort your near the money prizes! It can only bode well for V! Right am gonna eat a walkers crisps multi pack before spain and go for gold!

Liverpool marathon in 3, 28 yesterday I really enjoyed it first one for 2 years iam gonna do plenty more in my life when they feel this good.

I relise I have to pull my socks up for valencia. For me theres alot of 'unknowns' for me to gauge my performance and learn from I think liverpool maybe a tough course going off the winners time. I simply dont have 'it' at the moment for the 2nd half of a marathon. My half split was 1 34 was comfy and was intending to pick up but avg 9 min miles for the 2nd half.

How does everyone mimic the 2nd half of a marathon in training? or should i nudge down my half time? I know I can tweek this in my life time to under 3!!! No injuries tho am taking the positives from this run out. I suppose it does nt have to be a game of two halves does it, tho thats how it went yesterday first half 7 40 min miles 2nd half 8 40 min miles

• Cheers Huw, yep sports crisps all the way buddy,

Good work on liverpool, i've heard its a tough course. Regarding second half approach in training, i know a few fellas do progressive long runs, i.e start out say 30-45 seconds  off MP then gradually build to run the last 5miles of a 20mile run at race pace. Its not something i do as i'm an old fart these days and probably run a higher risk of injury. Another approach is to run back to back medium long runs 15-16miles. Running on tired legs the following day can help build endurance with less risk of injury. Horses for courses i guess. I use Don finks book fast marathons for over 40's, a very good easy read, informative training bible

well done again, onwards and upwards

• has everyone received their confirmation e-mail? do i need to be worried if i haven't received mine yet?

• I haven't received an email but I did check on the website and my entry is sitting there on the system.  Not sure to be worried or not!! image

• I think I received it in March when i signed up, I had to click on a link to confirm everything. Ran 1hr 53min in Cardiff yesterday, disappointed, but ran at sub 8 min miles to begin & then legs got heavy and couldn't maintain after 9 miles.

Still - 20 miler next week, arrrggghh.

• well done on your run simon, don't be too disappointed, its another training session in the bag!

just checked my registration details via here for anyone unsure if theyre in or not

http://www.carreraspopulares.com/ticketrun/

• A lot of posts on here since I last signed in, some real 'speedy sorts' on here! Since last posting, have moved from Leeds to Ibiza and aclimitised to training in 26oC+! Happily is cooler now and training is easier. Way behind where I wanted to be at this stage and target on getting near as damn it to four hours has been revised. One surprise about moving to Ibiza, they have a huuuge Decathalon store image

Good luck with your training one and all.

• Hey Simon, like David says don't be too tough on yourself, at least you managed to cross the start line which is more than I managed! Raging cold, which I now think was an allergie has been replaced with a gastric issue !!!! Very frustrating, managed seven nervous miles last night, was hoping to do a twenty miler this week but depends on how the body holds up.

Good luck this week everyone

Mt
  • Hi all,

I've not had a confrimation email either, the only email I had was when i registered back in June - I did check that link and my name is there so I hope that is enough! Just seems a bit odd, as the other marathons I have done have bombarded me with emails in the past. 

Anyway, my training has taken a massive hit due to back injury. My hopes of a PB are down the drain, so I think I am just going to take the 'just get around' approach and try to enjoy/finish it! I just checked the course out again and realise that the apartment I have booked is on the actual course - at around 32km! Going to have to resist popping in...could be tough. 

One month today! image

James

• Thanks for the tips David, I shall reset the counters and up the milage from monday onwards after my date with bells whiskey on saturday night ofcourse. More milage  and i will run on tired legs at marlow half on the 4th. I hear you with horses for courses concept. Don Finks book sounds good may ask santa for it theres alot to learn from experience.

Simon we are in similar posistions take the positives keep chipping away see what comes out of the hat on race day.

James ive damaged vertabrae in my back in the past have you tried accupuncture? i highly recommend it with stretching when warm. warmth on it when resting. light jogs or something to increase blood flow for the area and more blood quicker recovery i hear I best get a hotel! 

• never say never James. i had a calf pull/strain one month out from london mara once and didnt run an inch until race day. i nearly pulled out but thought what the hell and ran it for 'fun' and pb'd, so you never quite know what might happen.

Huw: enjoy the bells! thats my kind of training image

anyone racing this weekend? for me, it'll be a 90 MP run this pm, 6 easy ones saturday and another 6 running after the kids all day, then a 2:45, 22 mile run sunday. i must resist the guinness saturday pm else that long run won't happen image

• Hi Huw,

Never tried acupuncture, but might be willing to give it a go. It's an odd thing, my back, as it plays up when it feels like it! It's nothing compared to how it was in Jan when it started - I had run quite hard up a steep hill in Crystal Palace with a heavy bag, possible not balanced quite right. A few days later I could barely walk...it was miserable! Re: hotels - I decided to treat myself to the Hotel information for after the race - I only booked a few nights ago and it was very reasonable and near the finish...

David - with you on that. After the original injury early this year I managed just one 9 mile run before the Barcelona marathon (and a few 5 milers) and I somehow got a PB. I guess it often boils down to the day itself! Oh, and nueroefen. image

Apologies for the essay...happy Friday! 

J

• Huw - cheers. I'm also quite tempted by the marlow half, but being self emplaoyed might need to work that day.

Gym session tomorrow, then 20 miler on monday!

Just found out that the apartment i'm staying in is about 1/2 mile from Valencia's football ground, so anyone else who is planning on going to the game, let me know

• One more week passes, i'm officially getting twitchy now, but two more weeks of solid training to go, then taper time. How'd everyones training go this weekend? I missed my MP session of friday but managed a slow 20 saturday and a 10miler yesterday with 5x6min sprints. Think i need a recovery run today as a tad tired.

• AM BLOODY INJURED - have done something to my right foot and now have no feeling in big toe and right side of foot is very tender, off to physio in a bit to see if it can be fixed, finger and toes crossed

• sorry to hear youre injured MT, thats a pi@@er. hope youre managing to get some good attention to it and will be up and running soon.

• Hope it is not too serious or race threatening, MT? Blisters apart, never had an injury so can only guess at the frustration levels image

Ran my longest ever long run on Sunday 21 miles, stupidly combined with 3200+ft of ascent. Couldn't face running Mon, went out last night and felt like crap and aborted. Much better tonight, although I started to realise how much I am missing the running club sessions for that extra motivation to push harder.

How did the 20 miler go Simon?

• Hi All,

Basically I have some impact injuries in my right foot, combination of over training and poor technique from a previous injury have led to damaging nerves in my right toe which has gone numb and getting impact pain in ball of foot when foot strikes ground. 

Have found a good physio and he is confident I will still be able to compete Valencia, as am I, but having to do non-impact training, so spent last night walking up and down a hill with a rucksack full of 20kg of compost, got some strange looks !  And then today been in Gym, did an hour on the cross trainer (bloody boring) and then half an hour on the bike, so just have to hope the miles I have in my legs already and the non-impact training keep my fitness levels up enough to get me round, still aiming to get in under 4 hrs, Mr.Ibroprofen will no doubt be helping me round.

Good luck everyone

Mt

• Sounds painful, if your Physio recommended the 20kg hill rep session,

I suspect they are trying to keep you as a return customerimage

Hope you recover soon!