Valencia marathon 2012

Comments

• Reykjavik Marathon - they stalked me with e-mails. Amsterdam Marathon - Likewise.

Valencia - nothing. If I hadn't lived in Spain a few years back, I'd be worried. They are a funny lot so don't expect great organisational skills from the registration.

I trust everyone is now tapering?! It's going to be warmer over there...

• Good luck to all who are running in Valencia next week,

I did 32km of road and cross country today,  26km last sunday and 21km 2 weeks ago, as im an old fart at 48 i hope to just get under sub 4hrs, Ive been training since end of may for this, (fingers crossed) hope evreryone reaches their targets and just to get round safely and no injuries, Once again  buena suerte, (good luck) image

• Thanks Talos good luck everyone! Really looking foward to it now!

legs a feeling alot better still not still not home and dry for the start tho had a bit of a reminder to take things easy after dropping my bed of all things on my foot all is fine, i dont mind a wet one if thats what is predicted.

Hows everyone else doing?   

• Doing alright, doing a 7 miler tonight, then gym tomorrow then that's me done.

Is anyone planning on a couple of pints & food post race, let me know and we can arrange a pub to meet in (more the merrier, and we can keep each other awake!) , I'll probably be at least 4 hours running anyway!

• Well my training couldn't have gone any better. In the last month I've set new PBs at 10k and half marathon. My faulty garmin has been replaced with one that works (thus far) and I've got used to my minimalist shoes. - would love to meet up for a beer just assuming that my flight doesn't fall victom to the austerity protest strikes, the snivel that came on yesterday doesn't develop into a full blown cold and, if I do get there and finish the race, that the immodium instants cure my usual post race trots.

Sorry I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself today. Name the pub and I'll be there if I can
  • All good here too, I have the usual psychosomatic twinges, coughs etc, but nothing unusual. Would love to meet for a beer, but I'm shooting to the airport as soon as I've finished. It literally is a flying visit unfortunately.
  • No problems, found this useful document regarding the day :http://maratondivinapastoravalencia.com/ultimas-instrucciones-para-corredores/

also this pub is quite near the metro station that is suggested

http://www.stpatricksvalencia.com/node/48

hope to see people on Sunday, good luck to all

• Anyone received an email recently regarding their number/ collection of chip etc? Just received such an email a few moments ago. Basically says you need to take your number and some id to pickup race bib image

Would love to have met fellow RW forumites, but have wifey and two children in tow.

Nerves giving way to excitement now, the pics the Valencia marathon keep posting to fb make this look like a special start finish area, incredible.

good luck all

• Im also taking my wife and daughter, jake it wont stop be from having some slurp after the race, Also i have just this minute told her im off on sat evening to watch Valencia play RCD Espanyol,image

• Greetings from spain guys!

its quite humid tho i only got here last night so a bit early for choosing what to wear for the run i will meet up also before or after it will be good to get some fresh air and out of the chain smoking hotel cloud.

• blimey, you got there early. Forecast is to pish it down at the weekend so that might break the humidity.

• Talos64 wrote (see)

Im also taking my wife and daughter, jake it wont stop be from having some slurp after the race, Also i have just this minute told her im off on sat evening to watch Valencia play RCD Espanyol,image

On that basis (wifey & ninas), anyone wanting to meet up for a few beers, would love to do so, we don't fly out until Mon am.

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I'm definitely up for a few beers afterwards! That Irish Bar looks like a possibility image

Will be wearing a "San Domenico Cardiff" club vest - and going to have a fairly relaxed run, probably around 3:45 unless I get caught up in the atmosphere - Vamos!

• Just read they have pacers from 3:00 up to 4:30 @ 15 min  intervals, then one for 5:00 hours. This race gets better and better image

• Cool, I'm at Gatwick waiting for my flight, sooo excited! I'll be wearing a green Macmillan vest with my name on the front.
  • Wheres the irish bar Gee?! Jake it worries me when you sya you are flying out Mon AM??

Yes David I thought I would get settled nice and early give my self maximum chance for the big 3 hours!. I great what ive seen today there is a real buzz down at registration already and all is easy to do bibs numbers and bags etc. The route has lots of support planned the start and end is a brilliant place. 23 degrees today not a cloud in the sky could do with a nice warm drizzle will have to wait and see. Good shopping centre near the start accross the road pizza and pasta a plenty.

il be closest i can to the front of the 3 hour start pen wearing a yellow vest and blue shorts I look like an some folk say i look like tin tin, il be looking out for the brits before at the paella party tomorrow and after the race. Il Probably just watch the football on tv Simon dont think I can afford it.

Good luck all I think we picked a good one

• aaaah you fly back monday am jake the penny dropped!

• lol image Yes, arriving Sat approx midday (wifey knows the details!)

Three hour start pen, now there is a dream and a half for the likes of me...

good luck

• thanks for the feedback huw, thats good to know, handy having a man on the ground!

i'll also try to be in the same start spot, 6ft fella with black vest.shorts, green trainers. there could be a lot just like me image i'll keep an eye out for you

good look all, hope you all smash your pbs and have a great race

• I'll be in the 3 hour start pen too. Little bloke, 80's revival haircut, blue Portsmouth Joggers vest with a white hoop.

Good luck everybody
  • Advice - when you come out of 'Alameda' en-route to the expo to collect your number, turn left (not right as I did for 2miles walking in the wrong direction in 20 degree heat!) it's about 20 mins walk from the metro. It's clouded over here now, was about 18 degrees when I arrived this morning
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Looks like a cracking route in a brilliant city! The city of arts and sciences is something special isn't it?

Looking forward to tomorrow - loads of runners on the 08:10 from Gatwick this morning - can spot you/us a mile away image
  • Been following this thread with interest for some weeks now as I live in Spain (Madrid). Just want to say best of luck to you all tomorrow, have a fantastic day and enjoy your beers afterwards. All the best guys, go well!
  • Hope you all had a great run guys. I thought it was an ace marathon. 2:57:31 for me so well chuffed. Enjoy those post race beers fellas image
  • Rock and roll David! I wondered where you got too! 3 17 this end hmmmmm.

• Great work too Huw, I know you wanted to go faster, but 3:17 is still a bloody great time. Not sure about you, but did you think it was warm? I thought at first it wasn't but around half way I was thinking my plan may go tits up as I was getting pretty roasty! I took my salt and vinegar sports crisps as planned and thankfully managed to stave off the cramps. Nice towel and free beer at the end!
  • Sitting on my hotel bed with beer and blisters! Pretty sure I got a pb but my Garmin went a bit wonky and I can't seem to find online results yet. any ideas?

Well done everyone, I think I enjoyed that, especially the underground rave part!

James
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Cracking race, loved it... Nice to meet up with tpb and Simon at the Irish bar afterwards! Good luck chaps, I'm off to look into that Portsmouth marathon in a minute
  • Huh, my garmin time is 4 mins off my website time! Still, very slight pb for me, am pretty pleased.