Valencia marathon 2012

12346»

Comments

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Did you have auto pause on? Those underpasses might have messed it up if you lost a GPS signal!
  • There's the gun time and chip time. Mine is 30 secs difference. Maybe it took you 4 mins to cross the start line?
  • What an incredible experience image

Well done guys, seriously impressive times posted above.

My first one and perhaps I have been spoiled as it was simply incredible, starting with the pre race expo, fireworks at the start, bands everywhere, drinks and supplies in abundance all the way round. The tunnels and dance music, what a terrific boost that was. And what a way to end the race in the stadium, the best goodie bag I have had from any race too!

4:30, probably slower than I would have hoped for given the near perfect conditions and flat, lovely course. Would like to do this one every year, the city is wonderful. Bring on my next marathon, totally addictiveimage

• Iam happy with my time I will get under 3 before I die tho! And it such fun trying!

I felt comfy in the heat, I could feel it getting warmer obviously tho it never bothered me. That said I was working at a comfortable work rate my calves just squeezed tight at half way like balls and chains. I forgot my crisps! they could have made all the difference. Back to the drawing board.

No complaints from me will be back to do this one again in the future welldone Jake well done all. Would still love to know where this irish bar is there are Bayern Munich fans blumming everywhere right now.

• I finished in 4hr 14min, quite happy, was on for 4hr finish then at 20 odd miles hit the wall and couldn't keep the pace up. Awesome experience -will be back. Congratulation to all on your times.

Huw - the Irish bar is less than 10 min walk from 'colon' metro station, it's on a main road which is 2 streets south parallel to Colon, I can meet you at colon tonight if you fancy some beers as I'm not heading back until tomorrow night
  • The start was utter chaos. The pens were far too small and putting the greeny yellow bibs next to the yellowy green bibs caused confusion. This will live forever in my memory as the first false start I was involved in and my first ever sub 3 ; 2:59:32 GET IN! Great to meet Guy and Simon, keep up the good work lads!
  • I think it's a garmin/me issue! It turned itself off the other day and updated my user profile on behalf - I became 183 years old and close to 2000lbs overnight!

Congrats jake! I am still here overlooking the finish line celebrating a birthday. Already looking for the next 26.2 challenge...
  • Its great to hear how you all got on.

JadeUK: huge congratulations mate on your first mara, its a special time and was an emotional one for me, in a good way. Hope you soak it up and take in what a great achievement you've done. 26.2 miles is a bloody long way and 4:30 is a great time. I have mates  still trying to crack the sub 4:30 so well done. BTW, valencia is definitely up there with the best marathon experiences i've done, you've officially been spoiled image

Huw: you'll deffo get your sub 3, keep chipping away and you're time will come. The crisps are the answer image

Simon: well done too, sub 4 is a tough one, good on yer for sticking it out. The bonk is a horrible place and i've jacked on more times than i care to mention in races, so you'll reflect on that rough phase in training and future races. It'll make you tougher.

Tpb: awesome time, good work fella, hope youre as chuffed as me with sub 3

James: well done and happy 184th birthday!!! hope you enjoyed the race. Whats next?

I've enjoyed this thread fellas, whats next for everyone? One bloke i spoke to said frankfurt was a great autumn mara. I may go back to race amsterdam again next year which has a similar feel to valancia. I'm back training next week for a 100mile non stop ultra which i DNF'ed this year at 80miles, so unfinished business!

• Has anyone tried Vienna?

I've only really got into this thread near to the end, but its been nice to see everyone chatting about the race and their experiences, I think I will join in a bit more going on! It's great to have that extra bit of encouragement. Thanks all
  • Well done to  all of you with them fantastic times, This old git was quite pleased and crawled over at 3hrs 58 mins, The start was a sham, but as Jake said the goodie bag made londons look like a cheap (lucky bag) And the beautiful girl who gave me my Brooks top at the expo was really hot, (was worth the flight alone ) Glad the wife stayed at the hotel saturday morning, We have just got home and the little airport at Valencia was very quick compared to the passport clowns at stansted when we just arrived back, By the way i went to the mestalla the atmosphere was great cost me 20 euros to get in, Mind you R.C.D espanyol was robbed and lost 2-1 to Valencia

• We may have been on the same flight Talos - took about an hour to get through at stansted around midday?!

On another note, I have just looked at my (ridiculously expensive) marathon photos, and the finish time they give for me on their site ties up with my Garmin time, but is around 3/4 minutes different to my 'official' time. Argh!
  • It's good to read so many happy race reports image

James, when you view your result via the email link (presuming you had one?). I was originally looking at the official time thinking 'bah humbug', then saw the 'real time' which is the one that appears on my marathon photos. I have always used the 'real time' not gun or official time from races thinking this was due to the delay in crossing the start line etc?

Previously had a moan about the stranglehold and high costs of marathonphotos.com but on this occasion I will be forking out, simply have to do for this race image 

Wifey is trying to shoe horn me into doing the Madrid marathon late April next year (think she is trying to kill me orf!) ..loads a hills and will be warmish by then!

• I have only just seen that, had very sketchy Internet on my phone over there - phew!!! I feel pretty thick though, but so pleased! Officially improved 5 mins on my pb from Barcelona image thanks for the pointer Jake.

I am hoping a few more pics appear yet, but might possibly invest too. I went for lunch In Valencia yesterday and kept seeing gel packets on the pavements, yet had no memory of having been there!
  • Hi to all,  just to let you know J,M   i might of been on the same flight as you yesterday.

you might of seen me Valencia airport the guy who was not allowed to take his daughters hand luggage through where we had to board the plane, When they put the bag in the ryan air height restrictor, they then said it was to bloody high,  and i had to empty the whole case and cram it into my running bag i got from the expo, When we went out their the bag was fine then so ryan air just make up the rules as they go along, I was not going to pay them an exta 50 euros. i made sure i left them the case with my sweaty wet vest, dirt wet smelly socks, and all the other nice things after 4 days away,  The girls face was a picture  (send that to michael oleary  M.D )

• Talos - we were indeed! I could only have been a few in front of you in the rather long queue from V. Ryan Air are indeed gits, sorry to hear about your bag. Bit odd, but my girlfriend (who was on the flight) happens to teach the daughter of 'mr Ryan air' piano. They were trying to sting everyone for 'oversize' luggage! Anyway, hope you had a good race and it wasn't too marred by the flight ????
  • All, not sure if you follow the official Valencia marathon on fb, but they posted this link to a short video clip of the musical tunnels, happy times image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXFLLJ7cvTc