VLM Cut-off

It seems they've instigated a cut-off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17465047

The comments alone are worth a read.  I particularly liked this one:

"I stopped watching coveraged of London marathon when 'serious' sports people overtook it. Like everything else this has been hijacked by sponsorship and big money.
The marathon used to be focused on fun runners raising cash for charitable organisations, and should still focus on that side."

Comments

• Dont suppose they can really stop him from carrying on on the pavement..they just wont do a finish line or give him a time i guess.
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I like that comment too - the marathon was never about fund raisers and charity runners in the early years - Chris Brasher and John Lister had a vision of using the marathon to increase the standard lf British distance running - in many ways that is where the event has failed - dumbing down peoples expecations and focusing on the charity runner aspect - for as long as I can remember the complaint aimed at the BBC is that as soon as the elite men have finished coverage is switched over to the charity runners totally ignoring the 'good' club runners - Lloyd is hardly going to get in anyones way and in many ways this guy is as much part of the marathon as the elite at the front -

I did contact the London Marathon organisers and Seb Coe last year and suggested that the London Marathon should this year be incorporated in the Olympic marathon as I quite liked the idea of a bunch of Kenyans and Ethipians being chased in the first couple of miles by a Rhino and a fat bloke dressed as Thomas the Tank Engine!!!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Grendel3 wrote (see)
    I did contact the London Marathon organisers and Seb Coe last year and suggested that the London Marathon should this year be incorporated in the Olympic marathon as I quite liked the idea of a bunch of Kenyans and Ethipians being chased in the first couple of miles by a Rhino and a fat bloke dressed as Thomas the Tank Engine!!!
    Did you get any response? I would think that's a great way to combine the two events!