Bone Marrow Edema HELP!!

Comments

• Thanks Tom.  I think a second MRI would be a good idea. 

• I agree.

It's possible to still have symptoms even if it has healed but at least if a second MRI is clear you can progress with your rehab.

A question in the meantime is why has it developed in the first place? Why are you placing more stress on that part of the foot and what can you do about it?

Seeing a podiatrist or physio may help with this and stop the issue recurring. You can of course try and work it out yourself but that can be hard to do.

I'd want to assess your biomechanics, foot posture, running gait and footwear. I'd look at your balance and impact control and your foot and ankle range of movement. I'd also assess muscle power and endurance in your calf and muscles surrounding your ankle.
  • Supersonic

You've already done a lot of resting but I'd follow their advice and make sure it's all ok before you start back. You dont want to end up having to stop again in a few weeks and start all over again!

Can you hop on it pain free?

The reason i ask is that if you've been resting I would have thought after 3 months it should be healed?

Mine was in my left ankle bone, that has healed now but I still get odd twinges in my left leg/ankle. To be honest this dragged on over a year going to doctor, podiatrist etc...I thought I was going to have to pull out of my spring marathons again!

In the end I saw a chiropractor as had orthotics already etc and he diagnosed me with twisted pelvis

He's straightened it out now and said the soreness in my lower left leg was build up of scar tissue from running misaligned and I need to keep rubbing it to get rid of it

Not saying that's what has caused yours but worth considering all options, prob worth going to podiatrist first though

Anyway I recently ran Brighton and London anyway with my fingers crossed! wearing KT Tape as i felt that helped and had no problems image

Have South Downs marathon in couple of weeks

So don't give up !

Laura
  • Thanks guys!  I have no idea why it came on.  Wasn't over training and was wearing the same trainers as normal.  Will get another MRI scan and hopefully it will show soon signs of recovery.

Tom - where are you based?

• I can hop on it pain free and a lot of the time it feels fine.  As soon as I run the pain comes back on.  I also get a pain across the top of my foot.  It came on at the same time but can't see how they are linked.

• Supersonic, I'm based in Brighton.

Hey Laura, I remember chatting to you on here before Brighton, really pleased you did that and London. 2 marathons in a week is an amazing achievement. Good luck for the South Downs!
  • Hi Tom - Thanks image

Hopefully now all I have to worry about is getting my pace back!

Supersonic - let us know what happens with your MRI ...
  • Evening Guys, the good thing about private care you get seen straight away.  After 4 months they have decided that the pain is not Bone Marrow Edema.  They took another MRI and X-Ray but nothing is showing up.  He injected me with steroids to try and get a reaction.

Tom - any ideas? 

• It's a tricky one and really frustrating for you I'm sure.

You have pain but a clear MRI and X-ray which is positive in some ways. Better than an MRI showing significant tissue damage or stress fracture. So why do you still have pain and can you change it?

Pain can carry on beyond healing times. Whatever you injured looks to have healed but the area may well still be stiff, tight or weak. What is your ankle range of movement like? Is it stiff in any direction? How is your calf strength and endurance? (compare how many repeated calf raises you can do on each leg).

I think it might be hard to advise via the forum if a doctor is struggling to get you better despite being able to examine you and see you MRI and X-ray.
  • Hi Tom, thank you for the message.   The range of movement is perfect and it is not stiff.  My calfs are slightly tight but nothing major.  I was doing loads of heel drops for a while and if anything that took the pain away - however I can't see how that could help?  I have been doing swimming and the cross trainer - now I think that might have been a bad idea?

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks

• FYI - tt makes a massive difference if I wear shoes or trainers.  A day of wearing work shoes and my ankle is in real pain.  I feel I am fighting a lossing battle with this and after £2K+ spent with Bupa I am not any further forward.

• Supersonic, I'll give this some thought, review your posts and see what i can recommend. Sorry it's been such a nightmare for you.

Are you based anywhere near Brighton? We do free assessments sometimes for runners I'm sure I could arrange one for you if you live nearby.
  • Thank you very much.  It has been pretty painful today.  To save you going through all the posts her is my history:

3rd week into January I felt a pain right at the top of my foot.  This was after a hill session (which I have down many times before).  I felt ok the next morning and went out and did 16 miles.  The last two miles there was a niggle so I decided to give it a weeks rest.  My training for London was going well and I didn't want to chance it!!  The following Saturday I did a ParkRun and another 16 miles.  This time the pain was worse and mainly down towards the heel - where I indicated on the photo.  I then decided to give it two weeks rest and it has gradually got worse.  I started with a few physios and they couldn't see anything wrong.  The movement is fine and the pain comes and goes.  I then went to the NHS and Bupa to get x-rays and scans.  They thought it was BME, however as of yesterday this has been ruled out.  I can go days with no real pain walking and then sometimes I can feel it lying in bed.  I have tried to run a couple of times but the pain is too much.  I have been swimming and doing some cross training to keep me sane.  The fact it has now been 4 months with no improvement I am guessing this is not going to sort itself.

I live in Glasgow - thank you for the offer down in Brighton. 

I really appreciate you taking your time to look at this.

• Hi again,

Thanks for the summary. I've discussed this with my team and I have a few questions for you,

What is your foot posture like? Do you have a high arch or over supinate at all?

What running shoes do you use? Are they in good condition, what's their mileage?

Have you seen a podiatrist or been given insoles?

You say your work shoes make it worse, what are they like?

Do you ever have swelling around the ankle?

Try the knee to wall test (give it a google) and see if there is any difference, let me know what you find.

I think it may be a biomechanical issue, for some reason the outer part of the foot is being overloaded. Perhaps we can work out why and how to correct it.
  • Thanks Tom.

I have a high arch.  Is it worth getting my gait looked at?  I did before and it was fine.

I use Nike running shoes and bought 2 brand new pairs in December, they were the same model as I use before.  No insoles.  Work shoes are just standard - if I walk any distance in them the pain gets worse.

No swelling around ankle in the last 4 months.

I have done the wall test and both legs are the same.  I was given this as a stretch to work on but it made the pain a lot worse so I stopped.

Many Thanks

• High arch makes sense. If it's a rigid high arch then the foot is a poor shock absorber and more stress is placed on the outside of the foot.

Do you heel strike?

What make of Nike shoes?
  • Thank you very much.  It has been pretty painful today.  To save you going through all the posts her is my history:

3rd week into January I felt a pain right at the top of my foot.  This was after a hill session (which I have down many times before).  I felt ok the next morning and went out and did 16 miles.  The last two miles there was a niggle so I decided to give it a weeks rest.  My training for London was going well and I didn't want to chance it!!  The following Saturday I did a ParkRun and another 16 miles.  This time the pain was worse and mainly down towards the heel - where I indicated on the photo.  I then decided to give it two weeks rest and it has gradually got worse.  I started with a few physios and they couldn't see anything wrong.  The movement is fine and the pain comes and goes.  I then went to the NHS and Bupa to get x-rays and scans.  They thought it was BME, however as of yesterday this has been ruled out.  I can go days with no real pain walking and then sometimes I can feel it lying in bed.  I have tried to run a couple of times but the pain is too much.  I have been swimming and doing some cross training to keep me sane.  The fact it has now been 4 months with no improvement I am guessing this is not going to sort itself.

I live in Glasgow - thank you for the offer down in Brighton. 

I really appreciate you taking your time to look at this.

• I do heel strike as well.  I run my shorter runs wth Lunar Elites and longer with Lunar glides.

• Would you mind posting a photo of your foot from the front?

Have you tried a gel heel cushion?

Could put it in both your running shoes and work shoes to reduce load.

There are better shoes for high arches than the 2 you have as you need more cushioning but perhaps we can make changes to your current shoes first.
  • Thanks.  I will take a picture tonight and upload it.  Any idea why this has happened now?  I've been running for a few years with no issues.  Do you recommend me getting my gait done again?  I have got heel cushions in my shoes already and seems to help.

• I'm not sure why it's happened now to be honest. Sometimes there's a clear reason, sometimes these things come on without a cause.

You could get your gait assessed again but I think it might be better to use your symptoms as a guide. Change one thing at a time and see what reduces pain when running. I'd start with trying a smaller stride length and focussing on quiet, controlled running with your heel cushions in.

If that doesn't work you could try adding in some taping to offload that area. Have you tried taping it?

Could also be worth going to a running shop and trying a host of shoes on their treadmill, see if any allow you to run pain free. Cushioned shoes would be best, I think the Asics Gel Nimbus 13 are meant to be good for a high arch. The key would be to try them out and see. We can theorise all day but will only really know what works when you run. If the shoe shop stocks insoles you could also try the same thing with cushioned insoles in your current shoes - see what works (a bit cheaper than buying news shoes too).
  • Thank you Tom.  I have tried tape but nothing.  It is sore walking at the moment so will wait till that reduces before I try to run again!!!  I've not tried running with the cushions so that might help as well.

• It's a stubborn one isn't it!?

What taping technique did you do?
  • It is crazy - I honestly can't believe it all.  It went from thinking it was a wee niggle to know thinking I won't run again!!!  It was a physio that taped it - this was before I was told it was BME.  They tried to take the load of that side but it did nothing.  I just can't think what it could be.   

• Don't despair! I'm sure you'll get back. At some point it will all start to settle. I really hope that's sooner rather than later for you.
  • Thanks Tom - I'll send you the photo tonight!!

• Morning Tom, sorry I couldn't get a good photo on my foot.  The pain is pretty sore again.  Mainly on the top of my foot.  I can't see how it can be linked to my heel!  Got another appointment with Bupa on Monday, but they have no idea!!!

• Hi Tom, hope you are well.  Another appointment with Bupa and they are now suggesting orthotics.  What do you think?

Many Thanks

• Worth a try!

The orthotics might help to offload the painful area to help it settle.

Let me know how you get on
  • supersonic16 wrote (see)

It is crazy - I honestly can't believe it all.  It went from thinking it was a wee niggle to know thinking I won't run again!!!  It was a physio that taped it - this was before I was told it was BME.  They tried to take the load of that side but it did nothing.  I just can't think what it could be.   

Hi Supersonic16, just found your thread from May 2012 and it mirrors pretty much where I am now with heel pain - struggling for 8 weeks without running and 4 weeks resting it as much as I can - still no progress. Visits to gp and podiatrist have not made me any wiser. 

A call foe help please - looks like you got on top of your issue. What did it for you? Anything you can offer would be very gratefully received! Getting desperate and fearing it will never get better. Many thanks in advance. Cheers.