Stop the pasty tax!

No! It cannot be allowed to happen! They cannot tax our pasties, or our pies!

Find out more here.

Sign the petition here.

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    I prefer my Cornish pasties cold. I'm on a VAT free diet.
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    I've signed the petition image
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    will this goverment stop at nothing to get more money
  • compo 1 wrote (see)
    No.
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I'm quite certain they'd tax air if they could.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    signed the petition
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    we have got to vote them out are the next elections they are a disgrace encoruging people to panic buy petrol and store it in cans which is agaist the law as it is
  • Eat pasties, tax politicians!
  • i only like them cold........i thought they had put vat on them years ago........and so they should.........

and this is just a smoke screen to hide the fact they are screwing you in every other way.......

and once again.if there is vat on sanitary products then there should be on everything.............i do not think that sanitary products can be considered a luxury..........what is the bloody alternative.......
  • I agree with Seren Nos.... I'd always thought any hot takeaway food had VAT applied... all the government have done now is tidy up an anomoly.

Unfortunately, the attention the press has given to this issue has nicely diverted attention from other (IMO) far more serious failings of this government.

Pick your battles, and get over it with the pasties, I say.

• sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

I'm quite certain they'd tax air if they could.

Don't give them ideas Booky - it belongs to no-one and everyone.
    seren nos wrote (see)
    ...and once again.if there is vat on sanitary products then there should be on everything.............i do not think that sanitary products can be considered a luxury..........what is the bloody alternative.......

Quite!  A bloody disgrace.  I could pay off my mortgage with the VAT I've spent on tampons over the years.  Maybe it's time to protest about this.  Has anyone tried in the past?

• Juliefrazz wrote (see)

Unfortunately, the attention the press has given to this issue has nicely diverted attention from other (IMO) far more serious failings of this government.

One recent example being "Dinner Dates with Dave"

Bet he won't be serving pasties any more - hot, cold or ambient.

• They'll be taxing Internet Forums next.(x pence / word)
    Hang on a minute I might be onto something here.
    Anybody know who my MP is?
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Tampons attract VAT so pasties and pies should as well ... don't quite follow the reasoning on that one ...image

But ladies, please, show some respect - you are intruding on grief here image

• Red Squirrel. wrote (see).
    seren nos wrote (see)
    ...and once again.if there is vat on sanitary products then there should be on everything.............i do not think that sanitary products can be considered a luxury..........what is the bloody alternative.......

Quite!  A bloody disgrace.  I could pay off my mortgage with the VAT I've spent on tampons over the years.  Maybe it's time to protest about this.  Has anyone tried in the past?

Surely an unfair tax as it only affects laydees and not gentlemen - discrimination issue there?
  • Have "Dinner dates with Dave" really affected how the country is being run?
    In the scheme of things VAT on warm pastry products has more to do with policy than who is willing to pay to have a nosh up with the PM.
  • Totally Jeepers.  We need to write to our MPs.

Or stage a dirty protest - tampon strike anyone?

• They can take our lives!

But they'll never take our pasties!

• Flatfooted Plodder wrote (see)
    Have "Dinner dates with Dave" really affected how the country is being run?

Possibly, we don't know who pays for what and what they get in return. I've no idea how if will affect the country, but it does raise a big question over Dave's integrity.  Not to mention highlighting the hypocrisy.

Flatfooted Plodder wrote (see)
    In the scheme of things VAT on warm pastry products has more to do with policy than who is willing to pay to have a nosh up with the PM.

In the scheme of things, recent publicity on VAT on warm pastry products and the "petrol strike" has more to do with deflecting attention from Dinner Dates with Dave and the fallout from the budget than much else.

• compo 1 wrote (see)

yes, they stopped collecting taxes due from Vodafone and goldman sachs, I guess because they are all innit together, or something.

• This is just unbelievable

A minor tidying up of an anomaly in a tax rule, and we're all supposed to be interested because the newspapers tell us to be?

I am just so fed up with the press and media in this country

I have given up watching television and purchasing newspapers

Boycott them all i say

FFS make a list of the relevant things happening on the planet at the moment, where does the rate of VAT on warm pasties come on your list? Are you actually paying money to the people who make stories out of this sh*t?

• "In the scheme of things, recent
    publicity on VAT on warm pastry
    products and the "petrol strike" has
    more to do with deflecting attention
    from Dinner Dates with Dave and the
    fallout from the budget than much
    else."

Maybe you're right re the budget but Dave's Dinners definitely not. That was off the press's radar as soon as the Sunday papers had been used to line the cat litter tray.
    And as far as the "Petrol Strike" goes, most of the papers I saw today had some reference to it and the news channels haven't shut up about it!
    No, if we need to forget mundane day to day politics we need to invade a country to relieve them of their W.M.Ds.
    Now, which party last did that?

• I think that the government should put a tax on people who are gullible enough to panic buy petrol and diesel when the tanker drivers haven't even decided to go on strike yet.
    ;-)
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    well I had to fill up as i was down very low and it was not to bad I can go on one tank of petrol for at least 5 weeks as i either us bus or train for work and only use car when need to
  • MikeFrog wrote (see)

FFS make a list of the relevant things happening on the planet at the moment, where does the rate of VAT on warm pasties come on your list? Are you actually paying money to the people who make stories out of this sh*t?

Quite higjh up my selfish and self indulgent list. I sell flour for a living. I dont want  a drop in pie or pasty sales, it might cost me my job.image

Anyone remember the Jaffa Cakes aren't cakes debate so they missed VAT? Maybe if we could claim pies are something that are still VAT exempt we will be okay. Any ideas?

• MikeFrog wrote (see)

This is just unbelievable

A minor tidying up of an anomaly in a tax rule, and we're all supposed to be interested because the newspapers tell us to be?

I am just so fed up with the press and media in this country

I have given up watching television and purchasing newspapers

Boycott them all i say

Hang on arent you the person who told us BBC journalists were the same as Murdoch journalists?

Didnt you have a position that the government shoud do less and private enterprise was where it was at?

(I may have over summarised)

So you have got a government that is in line with your preferences( ie give up, its SEP) and you go "FFS" ?

FFS dont you realise that the govt is doing what you would want and things are still fckd up? 

• bos1 wrote (see)

yes, they stopped collecting taxes due from Vodafone and goldman sachs, I guess because they are all innit together, or something.

No they didn't collect money that wasn't owed.    Just because a company finds away not to pay tax, it is different from illegally avoiding tax.

And there is nothing wrong with my dinners or my integrity....

Do have to laugh at all the drones queing for petrol.. They have of course used more pertol sitting in the queue than they put in the tank