When the reality of the pain suddenly hit you.

I know, I really do know, that I am undertrained for my first marathon.  I know, I really do know, that it is going to hurt. 

But having just come back from my 3 hour 14 min run thinking I had covered about 19 miles. I discover i actually covered 16.88 miles.  How?  Last week I hurt more/wanted to vomit/had to walk lots/it was hotter, and did 15.6 miles in 2hours 29.  How?

How?

How?

I ate.  I drank.  I re-fuelled.  I took more walking breaks (before I needed them) and practised my race plan.  I felt fine up until 2 hours 36 (which was a whole 36 minutes longer than last week).  I don't think I hit the wall. Did i?

Comments

• No. You just got very very tired. But the best thing is that you ate and drank and had some sort of plan. Rest a bit this week and try again, it will be easier yet again.
  • Thanks RicF.  Problem is this was the last long run, 3 week taper now. image

Problem.

• Exactly- and you're knackered from training. Rest now- just a few shorter, faster runs to keep the legs ticking over. Don't worry, it'll be better on the day.
  • thanks.

Ain't nothing I can do about it now!

Fingers crossed for the day!

• hi there, i am training for Belfast marathon, done my 18 in what should have been 3 hours or just over, and only managed to do it in 4 hours, i have been steadily training, ok missed a few sessions this week, but the first 10-12 mile was fine, but the PAIN hit hard the last 5 or 6, is this due to under training or is it a unevitable thing that will happen when you reach that mileage??
  • Probably you're running on tired legs. Have you done too much in between the big runs ? You're better to be undertrained than overtrained.
  • not really, it s mad, because last week i trained 4 times a week, and when i done my long run it s was awful with the heat, but htis week i only managed to get out twice and then my long run so my legs were well rested, in saying that I done a lot of walking and had a busy day on Sunday...
  • Last long run, even better. In my experience the training effects of such efforts continue to accrue for about 6 weeks.
  • what do you mean accrue for  6 wks?