Running in Beijing?

Does anyone have any experience of running in Beijing? I'll be going there on a one year assignment later in the year, and could base my decision on where to live on where the best running is! Unfortunately what I've read so far suggests the best running could be in the gym image

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Only went there for a few days and didn't try to run.  It was certainly extremely hot, extremely humid and the streets are very, very busy.  You might be ok further out of the city or in somewhere like Tian Tian Park (hope I've remembered the name right) - I think that was the only place I saw anyone running recreationally.
  • I went there for a week for work, and the only running I did was indeed in the gym. I did not notice a single recreational runner, but then I was mainly in the city or on main roads / business parks out of the city. The park areas I saw were more tourist attractions and I get the impression (perhaps unfounded) that running in such tourist locations might raise a few eyebrows.

I would not dare try road/street running in Beijing though - pedestrian traffic is too dense and crossing road traffic felt risky enough even at a green light with the full awareness of walking pace.

As for the weather, the year I went it was hot and humid in September/October, and freezing cold and snowing in December.

Agree with Joolska that you might be ok further outside of the city - but you'd need some good local knowledge...
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Sounds like I might have to take up badminton or ping pong, and forget any good running for a year image