Bonked, over trained or whatever

Its been a bit of a bad day in terms of training. Having followed Fink for the last 17 weeks on his competitive plan todays LSRun went tits up in a big way. Three and a half miles into the run I felt like carp, I had to stop and walk, something i have never done in the last year or so. I dont even know why - my nutrition was nothing different, not dehydrated, not even tired but as I ran the scenery was whirling about a bit so I thought I better stop before I passed out. After walking for 4 minutes I did manage to get going again but made the shortest path back home. Even my OH was surprised to see me so soon.

In a nutshell - I want to know what people with more experience than me would consider in this situation. Is this hitting the wall? I did do a 65M hilly bike on thursday, a 2.5M swim friday and a PB 10k last Sunday but i would assume that i was recovered from the run and the swim is a weekly occurance and the bike is shorter than normal but hillier. I am looking at about a 12 hour iron time so am training at a level applicable to this.

I know its a bit late for mentors but if you think you can help I have posted my march training totals on facebook and my blog. (its not a witty blog - im no threat to Holgs) image

http://www.facebook.com/splashmashdash
http://fromkebabstokilometres.blogspot.co.uk

............or am i just being a wuss and should HTFU image

s

Comments

• You might just have had a shit day mate. They happen. If it happens again, maybe you should think further, but as a one off, I wouldn't let it worry me one iota.

Try the same routine next week and if it all goes tickerty boo, write it off as just a bad day at the office.

And I have a vested interest in your success coz that kebab promise is going to get me round!
  • You can't hit the wall at that distance. As Dustboy says - just a crap run. We all have them occasionally. Don't over analyse. I'd just take an extra rest day in case it's a bug trying to get you.
  • F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

How many rest days did you have in March?

• Plus one on what the others say. Sounds like your training is otherwise pretty solid. Don't panic.
  • Take a rest, one or two missed sessions don't matter. Too many missed sessions do but in my experience you will have days when it just doesn't happen.
  • looking at the plan i couldn't see a single rest day.........if thats true than i think thats your answer
  • dont worry dusty your kebab is safe. feeling loads better today after a massive intake of food yesterday. image

i do take rest days although not strictly sat on my behind, i classed the 3rd,9th, 12 and 26th as rest days if you are looking at my plan. on these days the most i did was an hours easy swim or a light spin for 30 minutes.

i think i did panic a bit - i never had even a wobble before and after a night to sleep on it i think that maybe trying to lose weight by calorie deficit and the increasing training load are not compatible, obvious really. Easy swim today image
  • "i do take rest days although not strictly sat on my behind"

ergo - they are not rest days.

a rest day is a day doing zilch, nowt, nothing. and you'd be amazed at a) how difficult it is to do that and b) the excellent benefits that does give.

try it - you'll be amazed
  • +1 for the rest days, do nothing

I probably take to many.

How are you sleeping?

If I have disturbed sleep for a couple of nights that's a sign I'm over training so pull back a bit.

• i am trying it tomorrow FB, and i do sleep very well SA but i have never needed alot of sleep, more than 8 hours is a very rare occurance although i have tried to get more in but end up waking up at 3am with nothing to do
  • Like above sh*t days happen have a rest chill and make a cup of tea you will feel better for it and can get back on the bike after. There are rest days for a reason and you've been doing brilliantly but remember fink is a generic guide and not taliored to you. take a break and then get back into it.
  • Rest days drive me mad, but they are part of the fun.
  • well i have had the hardest day ever today - i havent done any work requiring effort - i did an 800m swim but it was broken down into 16,2,2,4,4,2,2 lengths and talked plenty between. Rest days like that will drive me mad too Cat and i cant gleam any sense of fun out of them.

I still eat just as much as a training day,if not more, and feel bloated but at least it gives me the impetus to do a mega weeks training, will i ever learn? probably not, not until i come crying again but i will try to make a rest day a real one in future.

Does Fink do a "ultra competitive plan for the time rich and stupid" ?
  • Get Chrissie's book - read it.

• You do not get fitter when training.
    • You do not get stronger when training
    • You do not get faster when training

The adaptions take place when you are resting.

Think of a race car, if it just spent its time racing round a track it would not get better, just worn out. It gets faster when they bring it in and change bits. They find out it is faster when they send it back out.

As others have said REST is key to success. Some can go longer without it but we all need it.

As for this incident - I would ignore it unless it happens again. Could be a bug, could be the bonk (if in calorie deficit), could be just one of those things.

Good Luck.

• It's not too late for a mentor....

+1 for a rest day.....
    The best way to train is consistency, and you need to recover/ keep fresh& enthusiastic

4 months is also pretty full on... I know I ran of steam after 4- 5 months of full on stuff in my first year. Have an easier week fom time to time. Ie no long bike/ runs and no intensity
    Having looked at your last month there looks to be lots of swimming and lots of bricks,.... I just occasionally run off a long bike...
    I always thought fink had way too much swimming and not enough biking- but I am a crap swimmer image

How hard are you running...? If the intensity is too high then that can wear you down

Finally if you are shattered its ok to skip some of the filler sessions
    Only 3 sessions a week are key- the long bike,long run and long swim. Those you don't miss if you can help it

Finally finally your weekly points scores are pretty massive.... I am struggling to keep ahead.... While its good to have enthusiasm you are about to go into the build phase where volume goes up.... As marathon talk says, you need to have somewhere to go.....
  • thanks for the input m.eface and OC,

i get that the adaptation takes place whilst the growth hormone is released in sleep/rest but i normally actually feel like training more than i do already. Maybe what i didnt express is that when i went out for my run i felt fine, all of a sudden i felt - BANG - im fooked, it was very strange. The few times i have felt a bit crappy i have cut short my day.

I only swim that much because Im a carp swimmer and need to improve,
    the bricks are only what is in finks plan,
    but I did have a very hard 10k run the week before and a fortnight before that i had the dambuster duathlon which was a qualifier for ITU worlds so i didnt want to hang about on that one as i wanted to gauge how much work i need to do for next year image

and on another slightly but maybe related note my heart rate is where i expect it to be whilst running at various efforts but im finding it very hard to get my HR up on the bike, even with taking 5% HR off my running zones i still have trouble getting to zone 4.

The other day i was doing a turbo session which was meant to include z4 intervals but i could only get my hr upto about z3.2 and i was kind of putting in the effort, hitting 23 mph on the turbo but in the same week i can go out and do a hilly 65miles and average 17.5mph and my hr is only 133 (z2.4)- i know im getting a lot fitter over the months but the willingness of my body to put out a large HR number on the bike seems very elusive. think I may need to join a cycling club to give me a bit of motivation to put in more effort on the bike, all the long biking does is give me a sore arse image

i do appreciate all the advice guys and may have to buy more than just Dusty's kebab image
  • and you need sleep as well !!!!!!!!!!
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to be a bit chopsy here but you're not taking on board the advice that these folks are giving you. They've all said about rest days and you are responding with 'yes buts'. Please listen to them.

Secondly, if you are swimming on your rest days - you're not following Fink very closely.

Thirdly, Fink's plan is very particular about heart rates and you have done a lot of racing/stuff over the last few weeks which had all been to a higher heart rate. You are working harder than Fink wants you to and not resting.

It's no surprise you went bang mid run.

Don't forget, you are playing the long game now.
  • This looks like a good time to roll out that old saying....."better to go into the race a little under done then over cooked"

actually i don't know if that even is a saying or who said it but i like it.

And listen to Mouse...she coaches some of the potentially top triathletes on here.

• What they said.

Doner Kebab wrote (see)
    well i have had the hardest day ever today - i havent done any work requiring effort - i did an 800m swim but it was broken down into 16,2,2,4,4,2,2 lengths and talked plenty between. Rest days like that will drive me mad too Cat and i cant gleam any sense of fun out of them.

That is not rest! image

Rest is drinking coffee and eating junk and boring the feck out of family and friends by telling them about your training and how good you are.

• I haven't got anything to add, I'm just here to see if I can blag a free kebab after Outlaw. image
  • "I'm sorry to be a bit chopsy here but you're not taking on board the advice that these folks are giving you. They've all said about rest days and you are responding with 'yes buts'. Please listen to them. "

OK - let me be a bit more succinct than Mouse

rest days are doing fuck all exercise. so do as you're told.

• I have lots of rest days! ;~)
  • You should be like lightning then. image 
  • Yes it's all very well doing exercise as that's what the plan says - but we've all seen good athletes follow plans to the letter only to blow up massively on their race.

A plan doesn't know how you're coping. The trick is to adapt the plan to you. Otherwise it would be easy.
  • Bike HR advice......................

I know nothing that is a given but what I think is as follows:

Few of us are triathletes, otherwise we would be on tripe-talk with other triathletes. Few of us are swimmers, and some can't even swim, otherwise we would be on the the triathlon section of SwimmersWorld. Although a few of us could do with visting SlimmersWorld.

We hang out in the Triathlon section of RunnersWorld. We are, or like to think we are, runners. We have more experience of running. We have runners legs and runners cardio systems. I suspect that when we get on bikes our cardio systems translate very well. However our legs aren't up to scratch and therefore it is the legs that we are training on the bike and not the heart/lungs.

So your leg muscles are working at a high enough capacity but your HR is low because you just don't need the through put. Legs are lacking power and skill (cadence and full circle pedalling).

Keep pedalling - except on rest days.

M.eface

• Meface speaks sense

Although I am a biker rather than a runner

I run at a target he of 143. His ever over the last year my comfortable pace has fallen back to 135. 143 is now a real push for a training run .... Easy for a 10 k though- there the hr hits 170+

Bike hr.... If I hit 140 on the bike it's a really solid effort. 160 = a max effort tt on a 500m climb up a 10k hill into the wind
    Ie my legs blow first and my hr has dropped alot for the same effort/ speed over the last 3 years..not sure that helps....
  • image I can confirm that I personally can't swim for sh*te. Oh and always listen to mouse couse she's lovely and unlike most off us always talks sence. image
  • As someone who went into their first IM completely overcooked, I can not emphasise enough how important the rest days are. It's easy get over enthusiastic on your first IM but in my opinion you've been remarkably lucky not to have been hit by the "Constantly Sick Bus". 800m swim is NOT a rest day, even if you're Michael Phelps. It's not just a break from the physical side, you need a break from going ot the pool and smelling the chlorine, a break from pulling on your runners and pressing the stop watch, a break from pumping the tires and heading out on the bike.

Even if you make it though this season unscathed, you're likely to find yourself a burnt out wreck next season. I know I was, despite being in great physical shape and ended my season at the start of May after a massive PB at the 1/2 IM distance because I was burnt out mentally.

• **Looks in hoping today was a rest day**