If one more person complains...

HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

... about an accurately measured, certified course being long because their Garmin said so I might just image

Comments

• ToucsToucs ✭✭✭
    And I thought GPS systems were soooooo accurate! 
  • but how could that old fashioned Jones counter ever match up with modern technology......

i wore one on each hand for a few races last year...my right arm always runs significantly further than my left arm........your Jones counter can't cope with that can it image
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    I had to google Jones counter.
  • Do the relatively cheap Garmins that we use measure in the 3D or just 2D?
  • I like that my Garmin usually shows a longer distance than the official distance. It allows me to kid myself that I "really" got a faster time. Given that in my last race I was 1340th, it is a harmless delusion.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Jones Counter V Garmin GPS. What's the difference?
    From an engineering point of view the Jones Counter is an extremely efficient device for measuring distances. All potential variables with them are known and fixed against standard measurements.
    GPS are good for showing where you are on the surface of the earth.
    The idea of using GPS to measure distances seems sound until one realises that the satellites are 12,000 miles away, travel at 7000 miles per hour, need to transmit through atmospheric conditions and also bypass buildings and other obstructions lest they lose a signal.
    The marketing departments of these GPS devices would be flattered by the loyalty shown by their customers as regards the accuracy of their products. But the fact remains, as a measure of distance it is the Jones Counter. The GPS works, but only near enough.

🙂

• In that case I was glad that my GPS showed .05 miles shorter than the measured course in one of the only 2 runs I'm done image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I thought it was the Welsh Population Census.

*b-doom-tsh*!

(I'm here all week.)

• Dare I sy that my Garmin usually under reads? I've run a 13.0 mile half marathon, should I complain? And who to??

If it thinks each mile is a smidge longer than an actual mile, it will tell me I'm running a smidge faster than I am - I'm being denied PBs because of the inaccuracy! Garmin complaints department, here I come. image

• Ruddy hard to run with a Jones Counter though! 

I think GPS devices have there purpose, mine measures about 0.1 mile out on a full and 0.05 out on most halfs so not too far out.  Never complained about that as there is an inaccuracy in GPS and an allowed inaccuracy in race distances too.

• When my garmin reads 13.28 miles (always seems to be round about that figure) after a half, I am convinced that I actually ran that far as the course measurement is the shortest possible route along the course. Seems plausible that a non optimal racing line and having to dodge round people many times would add up to a couple of tenths over that sort of distance!
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    In that case Dhale I must have deviated a helluva long way in VLM last year. The watch clocked 27.59.

Running bench it would make you faster though as most measurers jones counters are attached to bikes <insert smily>

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    My OH's garmin recorded less than 26 miles for VLM the other year - and he's not Tommy the Clown!
  • That's odd HC, I was talking about this with the folks in my local running shop only last night.  Maybe the VLM finishers shirt needs to do away with all that impossible is nothing rubbish and just say "guaranteed 26.2 miles, whatever your GPS says".
  • My garmin recorded a 2.4 mile run and I was out for an hour.
    Gutted ;(
  • baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭
    surely if your Garmin is under the distance, then something must have gone wrong. it's a little bit over, that's just bobbing and weaving etc...
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The GPS units in this type of device are not very accurate, baldbloke. 

They're close enough, for training purposes, etc., but that's all they are - training aids.

I accidentally left mine running when I came back from a run once, on the kitchen counter.  By the time I went back to it and turned it off, it had covered a fair amount more distance.

When I uploaded the data to the computer, it showed that while I was in the shower my Garmin  had moved about a great deal all on its own, in a wiggly circle.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I'd also quote a post on this subject on a different thread:

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Garmin indicate on their sports watches that they are reliable to +/- 2%.

A HM is precisely 21,097.50 metres. Keith - my cousin who ran his first HM in Reading last weekend said exactly the same thing to me. It's easy to believe the watches are infallible but highly accurate GPS requires very sophisticated electronics at a totally different price point from what we slap on our wrists.

Anyway, your 0.2 of a mile extra equates to 321metres. Assuming the officially measured course is accurate (it's a good assumption), then your watch was only +1.5% out - so it is operating within the limits recognised by Garmin.

The biggest mistake people make when running long races (e.g. marathons), is to rely on the GPS distance for working out their average pace. 2% extra on a marathon can mean the runner is surprised into having to run an extra 844 metres, which for an average runner is about 5 mins of time. It's a bit of a bummer if that person was heading towards a big goal, say a 4 hour race, only to find they miss the goal by 5 mins because they didn't understand the shortcomings of their GPS running watch.

• There is a margin of error, and 0.1 mile out over 13 miles is well within the few % accuracy that Garmin claim. In fact you could be a good 0.5 mile out over a half and still be within their quoted tolerance. As with any tolerance, some will measure over, some under, some by varying amounts and, depending on how the tolerance is driven, they may be under one day and over the next.

image Your Garmin moved of its own accord! Poltergeist activity perhaps? It can't be the Garmin, as they're accurate image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    My Garmin also has a life of it's own and can fly. I know as the graphs show me so.
  • From an Engineering point of view the use of the Jones counter has too many variables to claim to be accurate. It is a reasonable stab at estimation but there is no real accuracy, the minor errors in the many variables will produce a compound error that could amount to 5-10%, similar to the use of two Garmins by the same person, two people using identical bikes and Jones set-ups will produce varying results.

Besides if I run a Marathon what do I care about the odd hundred yards

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

There's also my amazing ability to run really, REALLY fast, without even noticing.

I know that I do this, because of the max pace reading when I upload my Garmin data image

• baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭
    yes, i've noticed that i occasionally run at well under 3min/km, according to Garmin. even when i've sprinted across traffic, i doubt i move faster than mo farah...that said, i did one 10k which came out at 9.2km on garmin, which CANNOT be right....
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Wilkie, does anyone in your house dance round handbags?
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Other than you, obviously, as you were in the shower at the time of the dancing...
  • At Reading last weekend, I got to about 6 miles, then decided to run a few very tight circles in a multi-storey car park, then run through the middle of the Vue Cinema complex before returning to the road. Since I know my Garmin to be accurate, yet I dont remember doing that, I can only assume I was sleep-running.

Again.

• EG Graham, a Jones counter measurement is multiplied by 1.001 to prevent the course coming out short if another measurer comes along on a different day and gets a lower reading. That suggests the compound error between two different setups is not 5-10%, more like 0.1%.
  • Oh, and my Garmin quite often reads under when there is tree cover and it cuts the corner on bends.
    A lot of my riverside runs show me maintaining a nice steady pace as I pootle along down the middle of the river. It must think I am a very fast swimmer!
  • Can you explain your first post a bit better Bold. I'm struggling to understand it. What two set ups do you mean? How do you get to 0.1%?(a compound of whta 2 errors?) Who suggested it was 5-10%? And who is EG Graham? Sorry Bold but your statement poses more questions for me than it answers. Is it just me?
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Nykie wrote (see)
    Wilkie, does anyone in your house dance round handbags?
    Nykie wrote (see)
    Other than you, obviously, as you were in the shower at the time of the dancing...

I was alone in the house at the time. 

Maybe someone broke in, re-arranged things, decided they had been better the way they were and put them back, then left?